Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)
A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2014, 06:53 PM   #971
Nounours18200 is offline Nounours18200  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Would you mind measuring the height of the eight boards, I'm wanting to know the height of the case I need to buy
Maybe an alternative would be to install the DAC stack horizontaly in the chassis, to avoid the need of a very high chassis.

[IMG]
An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.
[/IMG]

If we keep the DAC cards stacked and screwed together (as recommanded by Doede) and just change the orientation of the stack, we should not face any interference problem.

Cleaver or stupid ?
Old 26th January 2014, 07:07 PM   #972
dddac is offline dddac  Germany
diyAudio Member

I see no issue, ergo: clever
Old 26th January 2014, 09:47 PM   #973
Chanh is offline Chanh  Australia
diyAudio Member

A good mate of mine came over to my place assisted as second set of eyes, checking out my essembled/soldering work on DDDAC before hook up. We did preliminary listen to my 8-decks with AudioNote Tantulum outputting via Sowters against his 4-decks with Allen Bradley outputting via Sowters also. We are all in agreement that we have noticed a bigger sound stage from 4 to 8 decks, better transparency, 3D sound image which has way better dept, and most of all mine configuration turns the sound into music with the feel of life and presence! With burn-in, I think the improvement may be further in a couple days time.

We have also discussing the possibility of 12-16 setup! So Doede, please let us know as soonest if you see the possibility in the horizon!:
Old 26th January 2014, 10:22 PM   #974
tuyen is offline tuyen  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to tuyen
Hi Chanh,

Well done on the assembling of the 8 stack kit. I concur with you regarding what we heard last night between my 4-stack with 2w AB i/v resistors, compared to your fresh 8-stack (with the new v3.0 mainboard that also supports spdif input) with 2w AudioNote tant resistors.

I just found the music felt like it had more 'life' and presence.

Personally not a good outcome for myself. I will eventually have to move to an extra 4 boards, even though my bank balance says no.
Old 26th January 2014, 10:32 PM   #975
Sovereign1 is offline Sovereign1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Doede,
Do you have any experience using, Tent labs shunt regs?

DDDAC | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 26th January 2014, 10:43 PM   #976
diyAudio Member

Hi Sovereign1, the shunt regs look interesting. Did you listen with standard regs then move to the shunts? What improvements did you find?

Clean power is really important in hifi, especially when dealing with low level signals. So I see how using dedicated shunt regulators does make some sense to my limited knowledge and understanding. he he

PS. nice quality photos on your photostream!

Last edited by tuyen; 26th January 2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old 26th January 2014, 10:56 PM   #977
Sovereign1 is offline Sovereign1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Tuyen

I have no experience of the shunt regs, I was just reading a very interesting thread and they found the addition of shunt regs to a one board dddac made more of a difference to the sound than upgrading to a four doard dddac. I have ordered the shunt regs and I am waiting for my dddac kit to arrive.
Here is the link look at post No. 55
Very good sounding Dac kit - Page 3
Old 26th January 2014, 11:22 PM   #978
diyAudio Member

Ahh I see. Thanks for the link mate
Old 27th January 2014, 02:57 AM   #979
Chanh is offline Chanh  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardman View Post
Looks great with 8 stacks...
Remember to give it some time to settle in..the sound is changing on the first 40 hours.
but i am sure you will be just as happy with the sound like me--
best Bjarne
Hi Beardman,

Thanks! I am thinking of joining my 8-deck combine with Tuyen's 4-decks to produce 12-decks but concerning the power supply adequacy for a single PS. Since we have 2 x 12V PSupplies, we could... Not sure if anyone has 12-decks setup? Please let us know, many thanks!

Chanh

Last edited by Chanh; 27th January 2014 at 03:04 AM.
Old 27th January 2014, 08:18 AM   #980
Almeg69 is offline Almeg69  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanh View Post
Hi Beardman,

Thanks! I am thinking of joining my 8-deck combine with Tuyen's 4-decks to produce 12-decks but concerning the power supply adequacy for a single PS. Since we have 2 x 12V PSupplies, we could... Not sure if anyone has 12-decks setup? Please let us know, many thanks!

Chanh
I must confess that I am going to 12 stacks later in the year. The power supply will go to 1A, but Doede has a power supply circuit for extra power for driving large stacks of 1543 chips.

Maybe the DDDAC power supply can be uprated or try this circuit.
Attached Images
File Type: gif powersupply-idea-5.gif (17.9 KB, 427 views)

A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)Hide this!Advertise here!