Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2021, 09:15 AM   #8411
dddac is offline dddac  Germany
DDDAC Audio
diyAudio Member

correct...
Old 23rd January 2021, 03:06 PM   #8412
DDDAC Audio
diyAudio Member

Default Newly posted Ultra Capacitor blog

Inspired by the many reports on the audiophile improvements when using UltraCaps (or super capacitors) in Audio applications, I decided it was time to start looking into this subject myself. For starters I wanted do some tests with it on my own DDDAC. Of course I am also interested in the technical aspects and possible use for future projects. But as always, get some facts first and listen to some music ....

read more here ! My UltraCap experiments - DDDAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DDDAC Ultracap Charger experiment 3.JPG (792.5 KB, 215 views)
Old 23rd January 2021, 04:52 PM   #8413
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Oh, no, more tweaks to catch up! :-)

I just finished my beefed-up PSU + choke mod, and went from 4 to 8 DAC boards. My ears like what they hear!

Lets see if/how I can implement some ultracaps...
Old 23rd January 2021, 05:40 PM   #8414
smooth dancer is offline smooth dancer  Norway
diyAudio Member

Works great !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 561037C0-1FD2-4BC9-84BC-2EBE5982F0AC.jpg (733.6 KB, 185 views)
Old 23rd January 2021, 05:56 PM   #8415
Oneminde is offline Oneminde  Sweden
diyAudio Member

So Super capacitors instead of battery's ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth dancer View Post
Works great !
What are you using ?
Old 24th January 2021, 07:48 AM   #8416
diyAudio Member

Stock dddac psu, no problem at all. Just remember to not connect load before power up the first time after the supercaps is installed, (if your psu deliver around 1A, as mine).If you have a bigger psu, 2-3A, you have enough juice to power up with load connected.

I was afraid that I have to disconnect the load if dac had been powered off for a few days or so, but so far so good. It takes only a few sec, and everything lights up on the Uccapacitor boards from Ian. Very pleased for time beeing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EA69EA2A-1F7D-43C8-A1C5-EB0E054BA764.jpg (818.1 KB, 175 views)
Old 24th January 2021, 08:44 AM   #8417
michl2604 is offline michl2604  Germany
diyAudio Member

Funny, this is exactly the topic i am struggeling with at the moment.received fifopi yesterday toghether with a 3.3v conditioner. Unfortunately i have not informed myself about startup charging currents. I connected the conditioner behind a 3.3v regulator board which is itself connected to dddac psu. Fifopi was connected to the conditioner. In this setup dddac 1A fuse blew about 3 times. I measured about 3 ampere at the fuse.i then removed the conditioner and everything was fine. This morning i read the manual and found the hint that the psu needs at minimun 1.5A for the first load of the super caps. If no such psu is available (like in my case) the load needs to be disconnected in the beginning (first load) So I connected the conditioner again but without load. In this setup the conditioner ran about 1 minute (the two LED were on in this time - OK). After about one minute it seemed that the conditioner turned into another state (tried to turn on other LEDs!?) and fuse blewed again. Did I kill the conditioner by connecting it with load in the beginning?
Fifopi ist great by the way. Better than waveio even without conditioner. I'm wondering if it is worth to further try to get the conditioner running!?! Cannot imagine to get further improvements, but this was also the case in the past and then I was surprised when there was another improvement.
Old 24th January 2021, 09:47 AM   #8418
diyAudio Member

Hmmm,,,I would ask Ian about this.
Old 24th January 2021, 10:08 AM   #8419
kurand is offline kurand  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I had the same problem with a 5V Unconditioner that I was using to meet my DAC's 5V requirements. Just at switch over from charging to charged, it seems that the Unconditioner very briefly draws quite a few amps from the source supply. I did measure the spike using a recording meter, but I don't seem to have recorded the value in my notes. It was sufficient to blow the 3Amp quick blow fuse that was installed in the Salas L-Adapter used as the source. Since this L-Adapter is built to deliver many more amps, I upped the fuse to an 8Amp slow blow as specified in the original L-Adapter design. Not had any problem since then.
Old 24th January 2021, 11:39 AM   #8420
DDDAC Audio
diyAudio Member

exactly as I described in my Blog....

A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)Hide this!Advertise here!