Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)
A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2019, 08:59 AM   #6771
vega65 is offline vega65  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddac View Post
Actually I went to Lundahl as well with my expectations of bandwidth, maximum output voltage and the fact there must be room for some residual DC current, and the answer was they could not do it. Sowter could and the transformer is pretty high spec, so worth the Money. Of course other transformers will work as well, but most likely will not meet the expectations of high bandwidth in both ways and low distortion at high voltage Output. Do not forget, the Sowter does pimp up to 4,6 Volts rms
As the thread is quite long, I guess most questions (like mine) already have been answered...digging for them takes some time though...

I mailled Per Lundahl and asked about the ll1690 and ll7903 and dc tolerance to be sure they are not suited. Awaiting his answer as he is off a few days.
Old 14th March 2019, 09:33 AM   #6772
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrennwa View Post

Buuuut... on your photo, the box in the middle seems to be some kind of volume control / attenuator. Why don't you use a TVC (transformer volume control)? This would work as a transformer output for the DAC and a "lossless" volume control at the same time.
when I wrote "the box..." I was referring to the volume control It's a really really nice Tribute autoformer with taps, but as a singel coil not useable in the position discussed .

BTW Sowter recommends to put the I/V resistor on the secondary side, but it seems the DDDac with Cinemag is connected with I/V resistors on board: what's preferred ?
Old 14th March 2019, 04:18 PM   #6773
dddac is offline dddac  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega65 View Post
when I wrote "the box..." I was referring to the volume control It's a really really nice Tribute autoformer with taps, but as a singel coil not useable in the position discussed .

BTW Sowter recommends to put the I/V resistor on the secondary side, but it seems the DDDac with Cinemag is connected with I/V resistors on board: what's preferred ?
The I/V resisters are also used for DC bias, so please NO experiments without the four load resistors at the DAC output
Old 14th March 2019, 05:28 PM   #6774
diyAudio Member

Aye Captain!
My complements on your achievements with DDDAC!
The dc measure btw 0,4mV and 1.9mV between neg and pos. I was offered to borrow a pair of Sowter 1465's , will do some testing with them, and then order a pair of custom transformers tailored for my setup. ( assuming I prefer the trafo route).
Old 14th March 2019, 06:30 PM   #6775
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega65 View Post
...assuming I prefer the trafo route
As long your trafos are not broken and fit the DDDAC design, you will prefer them over the single ended cap output.
Old 16th March 2019, 01:53 AM   #6776
eduard is offline eduard  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to eduard
Hello,
Got a heavy package today from Sweden. New choke and new power transformer ( still in box)
Greetings, Eduard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190315_123359.jpg (97.3 KB, 200 views)
Old 18th March 2019, 09:38 AM   #6777
Andreas Thulin is offline Andreas Thulin
diyAudio Member

Hi, is this update only to do with the power supplied to the WaveIO board or will it also benefit if one uses a different I2S source (i use an RPi with Digi+Pro) which does not take power from the DAC mainboard?

Regards,

Andreas

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth dancer View Post
Fantastic upgrade !!!

Replaced LF-50 regulator on mainboard with LT-3045. If you want to take a huge step forward, donít hesitate, just do it.
Old 18th March 2019, 10:41 AM   #6778
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduard View Post
Hello,
Got a heavy package today from Sweden. New choke and new power transformer ( still in box)
Greetings, Eduard
looking forward to your "before-after" review Eduard
Old 18th March 2019, 10:44 AM   #6779
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Thulin View Post
Hi, is this update only to do with the power supplied to the WaveIO board or will it also benefit if one uses a different I2S source (i use an RPi with Digi+Pro) which does not take power from the DAC mainboard?

Regards,

Andreas
Nope, not only Waveio - all 5Volt (!) SMD IC's on the mainboard are powered with this regulator - check the Circuit diagram I share on the download part of my website

Last edited by dddac; 18th March 2019 at 10:46 AM. Reason: not complete...
Old 18th March 2019, 11:46 AM   #6780
NIXIE62 is offline NIXIE62  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juancho View Post
Here's mine. Seven power supplies, three chokes, valve output stage, reclocker and four boards.its been tidied up since the pic! Sounds phenomenal and has seen some very heavyweight competition!Attachment 715525
If it's not a secret, what output tube stage did you use? Broskie cathode follower?

A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)Hide this!Advertise here!