Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th April 2015, 10:20 PM   #4451
emyeuoi is offline emyeuoi  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3nsityD3nt View Post
In the same time I wanted to thank you Doede for such a huge work, openess and helping me and any music lovers.
Ultimate thanks go to everyone who helped me with all these mods and construction overall, giving time, patience and all the best one could give in sake of help. I have to emphasize that much of special attention was needed to one like me, total rookie knowing nothing :-)
Thanks to you guys I made it and moreover I learned a lot. Also thanks to you I'm here and will stay here, shering this forum and my greatest audio venture with company of great people!
Supersurfer, Eduard, carlsor, emyeuoi and many others BIG THANK YOU!
Congratulation

You will enjoy the DDDAC for long time and after some burning time will be even better

Ciao,
Enrico
Old 27th April 2015, 10:28 PM   #4452
D3nsityD3nt is offline D3nsityD3nt  Italy
diyAudio Member

Here are a few shots of my testing bench (for now) right before I got totally champanised :-) You can see some antennas there. They are waiting for another two boards to be connected. Can't compare this humble setup to big dacs here, but it really makes me very happy. I throw on it some music that never before atracted me, but on this I call it "The Magic Box" dac they just shine and reveal so much that I can't just stop to listen to them. It puts you in different dimension and sounds so dynamic, organic, magic and charming I've never heard before.
Nice, nice, nice..
Can't wait for the moment when I'll be done with testings, and put it all togheter, soldering parts directly to the boards.
For now, there are Tent shunts, CCS boards Upgraded Single Board PCM1794 NOS DDDAC, mixed big Cerafine caps with small value Silmics (I think it will stay like this), OsCons and Kemet 0.068uf PPS on digi part, Kiwame resistances for boards, and Allen Bradley for I/V (later for 4 dac boards will be AN Tantalums), Sowter's TVC.
Great! It is really difficult to imagine better sound that this now!
Dac layout made on supersurfer's idea. Power supply for now is simular, but will be upgreaded with Eduard's kind help.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by D3nsityD3nt; 27th April 2015 at 10:37 PM.
Old 27th April 2015, 10:34 PM   #4453
Sovereign1 is offline Sovereign1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I can't seem to open the links, maybe it's just my ipad
Old 27th April 2015, 10:41 PM   #4454
D3nsityD3nt is offline D3nsityD3nt  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovereign1 View Post
I can't seem to open the links, maybe it's just my ipad
Now it is working. I have never been good with placing photos :-/
Old 28th April 2015, 12:24 AM   #4455
Chanh is offline Chanh  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduard View Post
Hello Juancho,
I already did spend some time on this thread. Did start constructing the ''mainframe'' to give shelter to the dddac and its power supply......
The power supply is kind of finished. I have to find out which cap values to use to get the right time...
Edward,
Looks like a very nice power supply there! I can see the bottleneck with that AC cable!
Would you mind enlighten me with working out the right cap values?

@David. I use MPD via Miero Botic driver to downsample DSD to DDDAC. It sounds fantastic, way better than Jriver. I set it to Best in MPD.Conf. DSD will provide the additional resolutions, dynamic extension and effertlessly noticeable 3D sound stage. I have a collection of SACD in ISO, where JRiver pick up and plays direct to a DSD-DAC capable. This put any PCM @192k 24bit wave or flac as superseeded! Why not test it with a musical DSD DAC capable? It is an easy task to disagree/speculate when ones have never seen the light!

Last edited by Chanh; 28th April 2015 at 12:29 AM.
Old 28th April 2015, 06:41 AM   #4456
stijn001 is offline stijn001  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3nsityD3nt View Post
Impressive result. I see you replaced all the Wima's, seems to be a mix of three kind. Which ones did you use and why?
Old 28th April 2015, 10:56 AM   #4457
stijn001 is offline stijn001  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddac View Post
The noise reduction comes from a feature on this prototype, which was not on the first board. This is selectable 1-2-4-8 stage moving averaging of the digital DSD Signal, this indeed reduces noise from Level LP to not noticable. As Reinhard said, you can here something when switched, but hard to notice or even say what is "better" or worse".

another note to the excelent Review from Reinhard (BIG Thanks by the way for writing this and all the Pictures ) is that hese boards work with PLUS/MINUS 15 Volt for digital section and PLUS/MINUS 8Volt for the anlog section... so much room to Experiment, yes !
Reinhard/Doede, Great news that using averaging, reduces noise but doesn't seem to have to great an impact on SQ. The noise (albeit being a romantic "campfire"" feature), would have been a mayor issue in the design, which seems to be solvable.

Doede, any idea what SNR dB you are left with after 8x averaging?

As has been pointed out, the question will be what to do with all the PCM encoded music for this new DSD (only) DDDAC. The two routes to take are pre/re-encode PCM to DSD or do it realtime at the source/transport. SQ of the latter will much depend on software and processing power/buffering of the source (as Chanh has tried a few options already). But accoording to Moorse law and the amount of software development in this area, I doubt this will be an issue in the future. Software embedded DSP anyone..?

Just thinking out loud:

2x (seperate channels) +/-15V & +/-8V PSU? That's 16 chokes! (following the current (unofficial) unregulated design). I need to start training my weight lifting
Old 28th April 2015, 11:42 AM   #4458
diyAudio Member

Its great reading of the new developments unfolding, can I just clarify what I think to be true, and maybe speak in more laymans terms. With this new DDD DSD DAC am I correct in thinking that it will only play DSD files, and not normal lossless / flac files. However there is a way to reconfigure lossless/flac files to DSD and therefore the new DSD DAC will be able to play both formats???
Thanks

Last edited by Sovereign1; 28th April 2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 28th April 2015, 11:53 AM   #4459
juancho is offline juancho  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stijn001 View Post
As has been pointed out, the question will be what to do with all the PCM encoded music for this new DSD (only) DDDAC. The two routes to take are pre/re-encode PCM to DSD or do it realtime at the source/transport. SQ of the latter will much depend on software and processing power/buffering of the source (as Chanh has tried a few options already). But accoording to Moorse law and the amount of software development in this area, I doubt this will be an issue in the future. Software embedded DSP anyone..?
James. as Stijn says above, you can convert PCM to DSD on the fly (as it plays) or convert your PCM files in your library.

Whther all this is worthwhile we will have to find out, but using the new DD DSD Dac there is a possibility of better SQ as it uses a very different conversion process to that used for PCM.

But this is just the start of a journey, of potentially improved SQ over the next couple of years. Meanwhile I'm very happy with where my DDDac is and it's sounding awesome in the background as I speak
David
Old 28th April 2015, 11:58 AM   #4460
diyAudio Member

Many thanks David

A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)Hide this!Advertise here!