A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Ok thanks Leif. When I disable audio resampling, 16 bit (redbook) tracks are output in mono (left channel) over both left and right speaker. This is a bit strange as I did not experience this with the Hifiberry hat. Do you limit yourself to 24 bit material only?

I have the accusilicons ready for swap but first I would prefer to have the initial setup running for a while to do a proper comparison;)

Putting the "scrap yard" work aside for a while, and has now started implementing the upgrade of my main-rig. That is upgrading a Single-Decker to a Quad-Decker with a pair of Sowter 9335 trafos. All boards with Elna Silmic II caps and Oscon in the digital sections, and Audio Note Tantalum IV-resistors....Nice!!!

Quad-Decker up and running with no problems and is now doing "burn-in".

Question... Is it possible to have both a Capacitor and Trafo output connected at the same time? Maybe through a manual switch or a relay-board. Is that necessary?

Question... Is it possible to have both a Capacitor and Trafo output connected at the same time? Maybe through a manual switch or a relay-board. Is that necessary?

I am not quite sure what exactly you have in mind.

Only a single capacitor? Or two caps, one at POS and one at NEG output?
Cap(s) in series with transformer?

A drawing / schematic might help.

Also, and that may be the more imporant question, WHY would you want to use both the transformer and capacitor(s)?

Putting the "scrap yard" work aside for a while, and has now started implementing the upgrade of my main-rig. That is upgrading a Single-Decker to a Quad-Decker with a pair of Sowter 9335 trafos. All boards with Elna Silmic II caps and Oscon in the digital sections, and Audio Note Tantalum IV-resistors....Nice!!!

Quad-Decker up and running with no problems and is now doing "burn-in".

Do you want or need to have both SE and balanced outputs?
The transformer will give you both single ended and balanced outputs, but not at the same time unless it has a centre tap on the output side. My experience with a single board dac is that going balanced by whatever means available, be it transformer or 2 capacitors into a balanced preamp/amplifier, brings a big improvement in sound quality. I am using 2 capacitors into a balanced preamp and I am extremely pleased with the sound quality.
You probably would not want to run a transformer and capacitors at the same time as this would increase the load on the dac output. It may be possible with the transformer unloaded, but transformers are fussy about how they are terminated and the end results would not be predictable.
A relay would work to isolate the 2 output types.

Yeah, the load of the output...That's what I was afraid of...

I simply wants to be able to easily compare the present single ended Duelund caps solution, with the new Sowter trafo solution (also connected to my single ended tube preamp). Just to see if all the transformer-fuss is fully warranted!!!

I think you answered my question... I shouldn't connect both at the same time, unless putting in some switch or relay-board. This would of course only be a temporary solution, when I clearly very soon will confirm the transformers superiority, so I can ditch both switch and caps ;-)

Thanks Guys :)