A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Gentlemen, some of you have probably answered this easily while I'm brainstorming.
I'm considering upgrading the clocks of my Cronus reclocker, with Andrea Mori's work (TWTMC).

Would it be possible to give the PCM1794 chip in Doede's NOS arrangement clocks in the 5 and 6 MHz range?
And what would be the maximum sample rate compatibility?

Thanks!

Assuming you are talking about the BCK frequency you can go up to 22.579.200 Hz. This represents 384kHz FS. This is what I have tested. Some say you can double that, but I have not tested this.

Okay.
What is the relation between BCK and your 384kHz fS system clock?

TI datasheet says "System Clock: 128, 192, 256, 384, 512, or 768 fS With Autodetect".
So plenty of room for BCK frequency, then.

in my application you do not use the system clock like that - see the circuits at my website BCK = SCK

relations is simple - 64 bits (clocked by BCK) makes 384kHz*64 bits = 22,579 Mhz BCK

Hum, slowly getting it.
In your application, MCK = 64*LRCK = 64*fS
You meant 384*64 = 24,576 MHz?

Is it correct to say that with 5,6448 / 6,1440 MHz BCK from the reclocker, the DAC will play up to 88.2/96 kHz music?

Of course, made a typo on the calculator :D
Yes mck = bck = sck all the same ....

The reclockers reclocks whatever comes in, but if your max clocks are the ones you indicate ( 5,6 and 6,1) yes it will only be able to clock 88 and 96... but only when the clock is not halved ! I so do not know your reclocker, so you will know of course

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Just received a newsletter or is it an advertorial from Audio creative about t latest improvements we all need to make to get first class performance from the DDDAC.
I hope this will create some more personal views from users here.
SOME other things to finish first before dumping the Aurender.
greetings, eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I think this Canadian does make nice things but will finish some other things first.
I still have a bigger choke for the choke input supply of the wave IO power supply which is fed by a Belleson regulator. I ill switch to a smaller transformer and a bigger choke. Total cost of the to combinations very similar. Let us see if Allen Wright ( RIP) was indeed right to say thehoke should be bigger than the power transformer. Greetings, Eduard

what's the spec of Sowter 1:2 transformers I wonder? Does anyone know? One doesn't use any resistors to Common when using transformers, right?

as already posted - all on my website ! What do you mean with not using resistors?

The Rload resistors NEED to be still on the board, as they controll the BIAS of the DAC.

What is the case with "COMMON" is that you do NOT connect the signal output using the Common.

Single ended output: Use POS or NEG as the hot output and COMMON as the cold one (with cinch this means: cold=gnd and hot is center pin)

Balanced out (like with transformer) USE POS and NEG as output and leave COMMON unconnected

hope this clarifies :)

Thank you, Doede! I built my DAC so long ago so I have forgotten you have all the info at your site.
My question was about Rload resistors if we need them when using transformers, now it is clear we do.
I have been using Sowter 3603 1:1 and now I am trying Lundahl 1544A 1:2 to increase output. I had these transformers at hand so I didn't bother to order specially produced Sowters.
Now I am looking for other solutions as diy itch crept over suddenly. :) What was the reason your ordered a special Sowter - resistance?

Thank you, Doede! I built my DAC so long ago so I have forgotten you have all the info at your site.
My question was about Rload resistors if we need them when using transformers, now it is clear we do.
I have been using Sowter 3603 1:1 and now I am trying Lundahl 1544A 1:2 to increase output. I had these transformers at hand so I didn't bother to order specially produced Sowters.
Now I am looking for other solutions as diy itch crept over suddenly. :) What was the reason your ordered a special Sowter - resistance?

The reason was I wanted a special one for the DDDAC - Brian Sowter designed this for me based on the required specs:

Little Influence of the (like few to 20mV) DC - High output voltage at low distortion - Mu metal for linearity and low windings for high bandwidth.

This special design also resulted in an excellent sound quality. Only negative is, that the price is somewhat higher as for an average general purpose transformer :D

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Pink Faun anyone?

Hello,
Anyone using a Pink Faun streamer connected to the DDDAC with I2S ?
My friend want to use this combination but it doesnt work. A ar as i know he s using the latest motherboard with 4 decks and no additional '' gimmicks ''
H s living in another country so a bit difficult to go there with my Aurender ( not useful too because it works with USB)
Greetings, eduard

Hello everyone, out of the blue I felt like measuring the DC voltages off of my DDDAC. I use a 4 deck version with a Cinemag trafo coupling. This is what my DDDAC reads:

OUT-R
Common - POS: 2.73V
Common - Neg: 2.668V

OUT-L
Common - POS: 2.665V
Common - Neg: 2.673V

The supply voltages on the 12V and 5V are dead accurate so no issues there.

Questions:
1. Why am I seeing a variance between the left and right channel DC voltages? And additionally, why are there differences within the left and right channel voltages between Common-POS and Common-Neg itself?

2. How should i look to even this out or rather remove this difference?

3. Would this be apparent in a volume difference between the left and right? I think i feel an imbalance?

4. Should I look at how the wiring has been done from the DDDAC Motherboard to the transformers and then to the RCA posts? I think I read in Doede's post #7212 that we are supposed to leave the common unconnected when using the transformers? In my case this is connected for both L and R channels, does it mean I have been using the cinemag transformer wrongly wired all along?

Appreciate your responses.

1. Why am I seeing a variance between the left and right channel DC voltages? And additionally, why are there differences within the left and right channel voltages between Common-POS and Common-Neg itself?

Because your readings are too precise (this seems like a silly answer, but I mean it). The differences are too small to be meaningful.

2. How should i look to even this out or rather remove this difference?

Use a a DVM with less resolution! :D

3. Would this be apparent in a volume difference between the left and right? I think i feel an imbalance?

The DC bias does not affect the AC amplitudes.

4. Should I look at how the wiring has been done from the DDDAC Motherboard to the transformers and then to the RCA posts? I think I read in Doede's post #7212 that we are supposed to leave the common unconnected when using the transformers? In my case this is connected for both L and R channels, does it mean I have been using the cinemag transformer wrongly wired all along?

Just read Doedes website or the DDDAC manual. I am pretty sure it's all there.