A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

My LT-3045 adventure has come to an end. 5v on WaveIo’s input and 12v on input mainboard. Best sound so far. I think that the two 5v regs on WaveIo’s input and I2s isolated has most impact on the sound quality. The 3.3v regs on the dac boards digital side are very hard to tell if there is any improvement at all. I think doede is right here.

So my advice is to change the two 5v regs on WaveIo input and I2s isolated side.

Attachments

• 6408CFF3-EB84-4C32-8F1A-3F63F1692C91.jpg
    6408CFF3-EB84-4C32-8F1A-3F63F1692C91.jpg
    903.6 KB · Views: 276
My LT-3045 adventure has come to an end. 5v on WaveIo’s input and 12v on input mainboard. Best sound so far. I think that the two 5v regs on WaveIo’s input and I2s isolated has most impact on the sound quality. The 3.3v regs on the dac boards digital side are very hard to tell if there is any improvement at all. I think doede is right here.

So my advice is to change the two 5v regs on WaveIo input and I2s isolated side.

Hey, thanks for the update. This is interesting. Would request a few clarifications:

1. Post #6758 stated that you recommended the LF50 reg on the main board to be swapped with LT-3045 (5V) for good results. What you mention in this current post of yours is recommending that in addition to this swap, more of these swaps are also required? Is my understanding correct?

2. In your Post #6821, which product code from the website do you recommend ordering:
LT3045-M (this option is out of stock)
or
LT3045-S (this option is in stock)

3. On the WaveIO USB board, you are recommending changing two 5V regs. Can you indicate where do these 2 regs go on the USB board. As per my understanding, I only see one LT3045 inserted in the picture you posted.

4. On the 12V supply area, you have inserted a 12V LT3045. This is connected where the 12V Power Supply wires and join in on the screw taps. Are we bringing this 12V regulator in, in place of any existing 12V regulator or is it brought in as an addition and was not existing earlier?

5. So net net basis your answers, there will be a requirement of ordering 1 or 2 5V LT3045-S regulators for the WaveIO board, 1 5V LT3045-78XX for the main board and 1 12V LT3045-S regulator to go on the main board where the 12V supply comes and connects?

Appreciate if you can answer here point wise for better clarity. Thanks in advance.

Here you see the two 5v regs. That’s all you have to change. Forget about the rest.

Okay so one of these 5V one is the one which is on the main board and that one you had changed in post #6758 (LT3045-78XX), correct?

And the next one is on the waveio board itself which you are suggesting LT3045-S of 5V.

Since you saying forget the rest, so I dont even go for the 12V one?

I know I am shooting in the dark, but... assume you're not using a WaveIO for I2S, but a Raspberry Pi with an I2S board. Would it make sense to feed this with an LT3045? Thoughts?
Hey, I use the dac with both configurations (with the WaveIO and the Rpi/Kali/isolator combo). Currently am back to the waveIO as still the Rpi setup is not able to give me acceptable level of performance (sounds thin and edgy). Best case results with Rpi were received when I used LiPO batteries to power the Kali/Isolator combo but using batteries is a pain in the butt. So am back to WaveIO and quite interested to elevate the performance of this configuration with any doable tweaks per my DIY abilities.

Okay so one of these 5V one is the one which is on the main board and that one you had changed in post #6758 (LT3045-78XX), correct?

And the next one is on the waveio board itself which you are suggesting LT3045-S of 5V.

Since you saying forget the rest, so I dont even go for the 12V one?

Correct ! In my opinion the two 5v regs have most influence on the sound.

If you want to add the 12v reg on mainboard input, just do it, but if it’s worth it is up to you to decide. I can’t hear it’s doing something wrong.

I have been listening a few evenings after the regulator replacements, and I have never had so good sound in my listening room as I have now.

Correct ! In my opinion the two 5v regs have most influence on the sound.

If you want to add the 12v reg on mainboard input, just do it, but if it’s worth it is up to you to decide. I can’t hear it’s doing something wrong.

I have been listening a few evenings after the regulator replacements, and I have never had so good sound in my listening room as I have now.

Sure, thanks. Then I believe I should only order 1 5V regulator for the WaveIO and skip the 12V. I have previously ordered 1 5V for the mainboard and it has not yet been delivered to me. Had I known this earlier, would have ordered these together. Nevertheless, as long as the final outcome gets me better sound, I am ready to wait!!

Since the shipping times are quite high, please rethink and suggest if it is worth going for the 12V reg. I can order both in one go. However, my philosophy is that if it is not improving anything, why bother changing the existing configuration for the 12V part.

Kartic !

Be carefuel with the voltage on input on the regs. Adjust your psu up to 6v for the 5v reg, and 13v for the 12v reg. I tried with two volt, and the temp went up to 55˚ on the regulator. With one volt it’s down to 35˚. LT-3045 have no problem with only 1v on input to regulate properly.

Thanks for the warning. I will keep a note of the same. In case required, will seek your guidance at the time of making the changes once the parts arrive.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I f i remember well Smoothdancer was feeding the wave IO with a choke input power supply with no regulator at all. Recently Doede told me that the wave IO needs a power supply that will not fluctuate. So 5,001 volt?? . He told me it needs to exact and not that well filtered. But for me that seems the same?
I have read that digital gear can pollute your power supply so using a choke and the right transformer is a good start.
The wave IO is a constant load so the extra dcr presented by the chokes will not be that important i think.
At the audiocreative site there has been some development concerning the wave io with a circuit that works without USB connection. They use Teddy Pardo supply for this new circuit after using it for the wave io. So i wanna try that one for my present wave io set up.
I am net ready yet for dumping the Aurender.
The website where Smoothdancer got the regulators mentions a 500 mA current rating. I was surprised to not see any heatsink!!. But combining close to maximum input voltage with the wave IO current consumption will not work. You will fry it.
I think it is much safer to go for the Pardo circuit.
It needs minimum 5 volts difference between in and output voltage and it has room for heatsink.
Greetings, Eduard

For WaveIo I now use a mix of choke and stock doede psu. It’s a clcr +doede psu at the end before the LT-3045 5v reg close to WaveIo input. I adjust doede psu to 6v in on LT-3045. With only 1 volt diff there is no problem with heat at all.
I measure around 30˚ on the reg. With 2 volt diff, the heat rise up to 50˚.

I built a DDDAC last weekend with Pi Hifiberry input. The little side piece on the mainboard with the green LEDs indicating sample rate and status seem to be meant to be connected to a Wave I/O board. Has anyone tried to connect that to a Hifiberry?

The Wave IO has a bunch of pins that drive the LEDs directly. The DDDAC does not do anything with this.

You could connect the LEDs to the RPi, but you'd need to add (or write) some software that controls those LEDs via the RPi pins. There are numerous tutorials out there that describe how to drive an LED from the RPi pins. The software to control this might be easier to make than you think. You'd have to monitor the sound output sampling rate, and turn on the corresponding pins/LEDs.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Now that's interesting. Can you give some details or a link?
Hello,
Here it is
DDDAC 1794 BerryStreamer met Allo Isolator
I will try this in a few months time but i am already trying to figure out how to install it in my dddac because now i have that one on my marble table.
Right using the Belleson reg but in the link they are tyalking about a reg designed by Terry Pardo.
The Belleson has choke input and i wanna try that too for the other regulators i will need to feed the parts in the link.
Will need 5 volt at 270 mA and 6 volts at 150 mA. For the 5 volt i can use LL2771 6H 0,5A and for the 150 mA can use the LL1638 8H 200mA.
We will see. greetings, Eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
My sugar must have been low while typing that message!!
My plan is to change the wave IO usb connected Aurender combo into an RPI plus alloboards set up. That will also need a 5 volt power supply so i wanna start changing the present 5V Belleson with 1 Henry choke input into the Terry Pardo reg with a BIGGER choke input.
Greetings, Eduard