A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

First pictures of the new DDDAC1794 boards in action...

The first DDDAC1794 Quatro with the new boards is build today and in action...

Attachments

• DDDAC1794 DAC Quatro at first light (1).JPG
    DDDAC1794 DAC Quatro at first light (1).JPG
    432.5 KB · Views: 397
  • DDDAC1794 DAC Quatro at first light (2).JPG
    DDDAC1794 DAC Quatro at first light (2).JPG
    529.1 KB · Views: 388
  • DDDAC1794 DAC Quatro at first light (3).JPG
    DDDAC1794 DAC Quatro at first light (3).JPG
    431.2 KB · Views: 387
  • DDDAC1794 DAC Quatro first time in action.JPG
    DDDAC1794 DAC Quatro first time in action.JPG
    466.6 KB · Views: 361
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
About 2 hours after Doede did announce the availability of the new boards i did order a 4 board dac and after that 4 more people did do the same.
After beginning reading this thread i did buy some parts for the power supply. Soon decided it will be a choke input with Lundahl chokes . Now i am pretty sure i will just go for shunts for the 8 volts supplies. This gives me the possibilty to use higher mH LL2733 because current draw has been reduced by not using shunts for the 3,3 volts.
If i remember well the famous Supersurfer did '' feed '' the shunts directly without using the prerugulator. Have to read those posts again.
Did read a little about the different R load resistors. They seem to be important on tonal quality ( cap or transformer output independant?)
Did ask Doede for a pair of the special Sowthers but probably he is busy.
Later will invest time and money for the parts needed to use sources other then cd transport
Greetings, Eduard

A friend has ordered a 4 deck with the new boards after hearing my dddac (old boards).
When it's finished we will do a shoot out, and I must admit I am looking forward to hear if there will be any improvement in sound quality.

My dac have Lundahl chokes and Elna Cerafine caps, and it's the best dac in my set up so far. I have tried expensive comercial dacs and also my previous Buffalo III dual mono, and no one had a chance against the dddac. It simply sounds more analogue and natural.

A friend has ordered a 4 deck with the new boards after hearing my dddac (old boards).
When it's finished we will do a shoot out, and I must admit I am looking forward to hear if there will be any improvement in sound quality.

My dac have Lundahl chokes and Elna Cerafine caps, and it's the best dac in my set up so far. I have tried expensive comercial dacs and also my previous Buffalo III dual mono, and no one had a chance against the dddac. It simply sounds more analogue and natural.

I look forward to hearing the outcome of your shoot out. At the moment I'm using a single board with buffer into Cinemag transformers. Tempted to try four of the new boards to directly drive the transformers.

Hi karahana,
sorry for beeing late , I overlock your question :eek:

I don't comapre both in the same design by swap.. but i guess i would go with Crystek.. what do you prefer ?

I went for NDK as it provides significantly better values and cost less. But I see crystek is very used so i wonder why.

CCHD-957
- Phase Jitter (ps RMS) = 0.31031 ps
NZ2520SB
- Phase Jitter (ps RMS) = 0.06449 ps
jitter offset limit at 40 kHz

I also seen different measurements all confirm the difference.
Lyuben (jl sounds) did a/b test and they preferred ndk though the voices were split and the setup was poor. So it is probably the metter of taste. My idea is the signal should be as clear as possible. But less details can sound more musical on certain setups.

Hello,
About 2 hours after Doede did announce the availability of the new boards i did order a 4 board dac and after that 4 more people did do the same.
After beginning reading this thread i did buy some parts for the power supply. Soon decided it will be a choke input with Lundahl chokes . Now i am pretty sure i will just go for shunts for the 8 volts supplies. This gives me the possibilty to use higher mH LL2733 because current draw has been reduced by not using shunts for the 3,3 volts.
If i remember well the famous Supersurfer did '' feed '' the shunts directly without using the prerugulator. Have to read those posts again.
Did read a little about the different R load resistors. They seem to be important on tonal quality ( cap or transformer output independant?)
Did ask Doede for a pair of the special Sowthers but probably he is busy.
Later will invest time and money for the parts needed to use sources other then cd transport
Greetings, Eduard

I did quote you by mail, right? otherwise just send me an email...

While a desoldering station is probably nice to have, I just cut the wires to remove the DAC boards and swap the "delay" resistors on the DAC boards.

now i tried with 2 decks and it works; no crackling and superb sound. back to 3 decks and crackling is back. changed the decks but no more than 2 decks are possible. thought that it could be the PSU and tried again with an lab mains adapter with enough current but the same problem with 3 decks.

think, the 1/2 clock delay and CCS-boards and shunts are alright otherwise it wouldn´t work with 2 decks.

any ideas where i can search? thanks, mario

now i tried with 2 decks and it works; no crackling and superb sound. back to 3 decks and crackling is back. changed the decks but no more than 2 decks are possible. thought that it could be the PSU and tried again with an lab mains adapter with enough current but the same problem with 3 decks.

think, the 1/2 clock delay and CCS-boards and shunts are alright otherwise it wouldn´t work with 2 decks.

any ideas where i can search? thanks, mario

Just checking, does or did it work with 4 decks and no 1/2 clock delay tweak?