Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2014, 01:42 PM   #2421
eduard is offline eduard  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to eduard
Quote:
Originally Posted by stijn001 View Post
Judging by the nrs you'are quoting, is this shop your talking about? :-)

Résultats de recherche pour : 'Transformateur R-CORE à fixation sur châssis 300VA'
Sure Stijn, that is the one i think i did post the link before or maybe i did in a private message to Chanh
Old 7th August 2014, 02:01 PM   #2422
juancho is offline juancho  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the link. So it only applies to the USB /SPDIF version or if using more than 4 boards?

with 4 boards which I've got it seems to offer an improvement too
David
Old 7th August 2014, 02:12 PM   #2423
dwjames is offline dwjames  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanh View Post
If that is the case, this isolator will be interesting? Isolate your Raspberry PI
It costs only US$125.
Please see attachment below w.r.t Designer's response to my online query.
Is that this product?
Isolation - G2 labs
It's weird... they hardly mention that it's a I2S reclocker, but in theory, that part of it is much more significant than the fact it's an isolator, which is pretty easy to achieve.
Buying one of those certainly looks a lot easier than making an Acko board, but I don't know enough about this to judge whether this implementation is likely to perform as good
Old 7th August 2014, 02:19 PM   #2424
Chanh is offline Chanh  Australia
diyAudio Member

James,

I am too sitting on the fence. There doesn't seem much of a transparency? I guess it could be trade secret?

Chanh
Old 7th August 2014, 03:01 PM   #2425
Bones13 is offline Bones13  United States
Techie Wanabe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwjames View Post
Is that this product?
Isolation - G2 labs
It's weird... they hardly mention that it's a I2S reclocker, but in theory, that part of it is much more significant than the fact it's an isolator, which is pretty easy to achieve.
Buying one of those certainly looks a lot easier than making an Acko board, but I don't know enough about this to judge whether this implementation is likely to perform as good
I just ordered the Isolation. Sounds like just what the RPi needed, reclocking and isolation for the I2S out. I have been watching the Botic discussion, and there is still doubt in my mind as to whether it will even work for the DDDAC, although I will continue to follow for possible use in a future DAC. I already have secured the RPi and a BBB.

That being said, the new USB->I2S board from Sonore looks pretty good too. ?better than Wave I/O?
Old 7th August 2014, 04:14 PM   #2426
Chanh is offline Chanh  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones13 View Post
I just ordered the Isolation. Sounds like just what the RPi needed, reclocking and isolation for the I2S out. I have been watching the Botic discussion, and there is still doubt in my mind as to whether it will even work for the DDDAC, although I will continue to follow for possible use in a future DAC. I already have secured the RPi and a BBB.

That being said, the new USB->I2S board from Sonore looks pretty good too. ?better than Wave I/O?
Hi Bones13,

Please keep us posted with your findings for this isolator?
I too have BBB Rev C and RPi, and await for Botic Cape but doubtful! Therefore, I am keen on this isolator but gutless taking the punch!

Best,
Chanh
Old 7th August 2014, 04:40 PM   #2427
Bones13 is offline Bones13  United States
Techie Wanabe
diyAudio Member

Of course it says available on the website, but right after they accepted the PP money, they sent an email saying it is "backordered". On this type of company, though, they could be soldering stuff up once it is ordered. Shipping is "10-30 days", so it will be awhile.

My current DAC board only takes SPDIF input, so I won't be able to try it out until I get a DDDAC up and running.

Now, if I just start populating my boards... And order an enclosure.
Old 11th August 2014, 10:35 PM   #2428
nige2000 is offline nige2000  Ireland
diyAudio Member

was wondering if there was a better way than using a resistor for the bias
when i came across this:
"However, it employs a cascode connected depletion mode MOSFET constant current source (CCS)"
here
K & K Audio - Lundahl Transformers, audio DIY kits and more

does anyone know how to implement an external CCS
Old 12th August 2014, 01:14 AM   #2429
Rax is offline Rax  United States
diyAudio Member

simpler is (almost) always better. Passive I/V, if outputting enough for the rest of your chain, is hard to beat, and active amplification should only be used if necessary. Did you need this additional gain? KK's DAC also uses passive I/V conversion, but an additional tube stage. The CCS is probably there to feed this additional stage and provide a typically excellent PSRR.

Last edited by Rax; 12th August 2014 at 01:17 AM.
Old 12th August 2014, 10:32 AM   #2430
emyeuoi is offline emyeuoi  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwjames View Post
It's $35 posted for the board, then the digikey order was something like $75 and a maybe $10 from Potato Semiconductors too.
I still need to work out the best way to get from the U.FL connectors onto the DDDAC mainboard, so I guess a few $ more still to come
Hi James,
I just read your post and I don't know if you have been solved the U.FL cable connection to the DAC.
Anyway, I solve the problem with a small (very DIYer) pcb, 3 U.FL connectors and Molex female connector.
The molex connector can be used for both the DAC motherboards.
If you use the old type the connector will go straight in the input connector.
I have the new board and I use both the RPI+S03 and the Waveio.
I leave the input connector for the Waveio. For the S03 connection I made a small modification: I remove the IC WM8804 (is part of the S-PDIF input that I don't use), I solded the 3 100ohm resistor on the back side of the board and I use the 3 holes for a small molex connector.
Attached are some pictures about... I hope this can help you

Regards,
Enrico
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02445.jpg (219.0 KB, 370 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02474.jpg (244.9 KB, 351 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02475.jpg (302.0 KB, 342 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02462.jpg (368.5 KB, 345 views)

A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)Hide this!Advertise here!