A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Doede, since you've hinted at possibility of a new board. I came across a mention of the DSD1794A, seems to be virtually equivalent to the PCM1794A, but with the additional support for DSD. Should be intresting.

Also would there be milage in exposing pin 7 for an external clock source?

I know the chip. Checked this, but....DSD1794 is not really an option. The way I use the chip can here only be done in software mode. So you need a microcontroller to make this work.
Anyway, I go discrete...

Also would there be milage in exposing pin 7 for an external clock source?

only if that clock would be in sync with the WaveIO, hence it Need a reclocker.
I believe Ian does something like that. Some use it for the RB pi... I had one Feedback of someone put it between waveIO and DDDAC and it gave improvement. How much and how it compares to other tweaks is always hard to tell. I know, that the more boards you have, the less dominant the clock becomes

Thanks guys.
The Rhopoint resistors I've used are only available to 10r steps. Would I get distortion if I used 140r for a single deck? Or 135r?
My amps have an input sensitivity of 1.5v and not much gain, so the more I can get out of the DDDAC, the better

This is a complex equilibrium... if that would be possible, I would have done it. The 133 was a true optimum! You will get more d2 and d3 distortion when signal reaches 0dB Level...

Ok, thanks. I'll get an extra 10r and add it in series to upgrade my current 120r to 130r

Ok, thanks. I'll get an extra 10r and add it in series to upgrade my current 120r to 130r
If you contact Rhopoint they can make you a 133 r will take 3 months usually

Dunno if it would improve sq really
Maybe only a little less volume on the amps

If you contact Rhopoint they can make you a 133 r will take 3 months usually

Dunno if it would improve sq really
Maybe only a little less volume on the amps
Good to know, thanks :)

All I'm looking to do is increase the output signal where possible. Doede explained nicely to me a while back the implications of using 120r i/v resistors rather than the recommended 133r, but for some reason I can't find the info now.
I was fairly sure the result was a slightly decreased output, so I thought that upping from 120r to 130r would make it slightly louder, but it's very possible I have it wrong... Can anyone confirm please?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
What is the correct connector that fits the (supplied) push pins that are soldered into the mainboard input and outputs? They do not fit the "dupont" pin sockets, or at least they don't fit into the sockets in the supplied cables.

I want to be able to have the input wires slip on and off, as well as the outputs, so as to have options after the initial construction.

What is the correct connector that fits the (supplied) push pins that are soldered into the mainboard input and outputs? They do not fit the "dupont" pin sockets, or at least they don't fit into the sockets in the supplied cables.

I want to be able to have the input wires slip on and off, as well as the outputs, so as to have options after the initial construction.

I have used some test plugs made by Multi Contact Part number; 22.2070-21 22.1008 - SOCKET, 1MM, BLACK

I bought them in the UK from Farnell UK. I use then to connect the SPDIF input and the SPDIF/USB selector switch :)

Rload Resistors

dwjames,

I have 2 DDDACs - one with 135 ohms (2x270) and one with 120 ohms, all are tantalums.

I prefer the sound of the 135 ohms, it just sounds a bit more "right". 270 ohms is a standard value. The increase in volume is small but not enough to write home about. I hope this helps.

WavIO issue.

My WaveIO has decided to go partly South less than 12months. The on board usb socket is no longer detachable/working. However, with further test found the Ext USB headers is working fine. Unsure if it is still cover under warranty? :(

I have communicated this to Lucian direct and await for his response. Nonetheless, I bought this as a package with 8-Dac boards direct from Doede.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi Enrico I ordered some Belleson 8v regs on Sat, as I'll need another set and I reckon they'll be near as dammit as good. Ordered on Sat and an e mail at 1pm today to say they have been despatched!

Hi Juancho,
Thanks for your reply.

The Bellesons are not shunt but regulators. I already order the Bellesons for another dac but only for the digital side of the PCM. As far I understand for the analogic is recomended to be the shunt type.
You get the chance to compare the two in the analogic side?

Thanks again and Regards,
Enrico