A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

I have heard much posivite with MQN player but have yet give it ago due to the user interface. As for PC routes, I have experimented them all including Audiophile Optimiser) with WinServer 2012 core audiophile edition on dual PC setup with JPlay at audio PC on hibernate mode into WaveIO. Still, I thought I heard the Pi gives a more refine SQ when using with a very clean power, USB wifi and with MPD. Hence, so hopefully for a Botic Cape from Russ. For the meantime, I might give MQN a go this weekend. ;)
a pc will need quite a bit of modding before its able to beat a good rpi and reclocker setup

Happy with PC Music source.

I am very satisfied with my PC music source to the DAC. Computer consists of a Core i7 processor with 8 GB RAM and a local 250 GB SSHD. I run all the music off a 750 GB external USB HD plugged into a 3.0 USB port. I control my "Music Box" computer with Remote Desktop utility from a notebook computer or iPhone/iPad.

I run JRiver 20 with Fidelizer. I have a DIY USB cable from a 2.0 USB port to a WaveIO card using an external Belleson Vreg plugged directly into the WaveIO terminal block.

I went to Palmito's place and tried his rpi. He could hear additional details that I couldn't hear, but it didn't sound as musical as my WaveIO to me. When someone builds a nano-computer with a high quality I2S output signal I'll give it a try, but I'm totally satisfied with my PC setup for now.

I just ordered 4 LT3092 SOT-223 chips for $2.50ea from Linear Technology in the USA.

Last edited:
I went to Palmito's place and tried his rpi. He could hear additional details that I couldn't hear, but it didn't sound as musical as my WaveIO to me. When someone builds a nano-computer with a high quality I2S output signal I'll give it a try, but I'm totally satisfied with my PC setup for now.
For those considering an rpi WITH reclocking/isolation, Carlsor did not listen to that at my house. We just plugged the rpi straight into his ddac without isolator/reclocking. I preferred the rpi in his dac over the waveio in his dac. As a matter of fact, he has my waveio because I don't use it anymore. I have four amaneros and sold three of them because I like the rpi/isolated/reclocked better than the amanero. It definitely sounds more "digital" than the usb cards, but it also has more detail and images better I think. This is my setup:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/227502-amanero-isolator-reclocker-gb-98.html#post3916986

And look for emyeuoi (Enrico's) posts on setting it up with the minimal required parts if you go this way.

I have not tried the BBB yet, but Miero's driver supports switching external clocks so there might be several solutions to externally clocking the BBB (besides the upcoming cape).

.... It definitely sounds more "digital" than the usb cards, but it also has more detail and images better I think.

I have not tried the BBB yet, but Miero's driver supports switching external clocks so there might be several solutions to externally clocking the BBB (besides the upcoming cape).

I second to Palmito. My dual PC setup with Jriver as player on the player PC. Player PC wifi to the router and Ehternet to AudioPC. I use JRemote to control via iPad which wifi to the router. AudioPC is in hibernate mode whenever a track is playing, mean everything are completely shutdown and only JPlay driver and song are load into 8GB RAM and into CPU local catches. I converted an expensive AudioQuest interconnect into a diy USB cable without the 5V simply for audio from AudioPC into WaveIO. A USB 3 docking with 2x2TB HDDs attached to player PC as source. All two PCs are manually tweaked like Audiophile Optimiser, this combo sounds fantastic and vey analog alike. However, I still able to hear more details/precision/focus, and most of all noticeable better sound imaging with the Pi, based on my configuration mention on earlier post. Happy to post some photos if there are interests?
Here on, am using the Pi and await for Botic Cape from Russ, it seems like eternity...! :D:drool:

not much

it look horrible , but I can't really connect that with ripple rejection figure , given in table previously

however , it seems worth of trying

transient response for LM334 doesn't look stellar either... (though I have to take a closer look to make sure I am comparing apples to apples; also, standardization in such tests may not be great).

I think the critical aspect of performance to watch here is rejection in the critical frequency span (audio band), though with digital a much wider bandwidth is most often important. LM334 does very well, though there's no reason (except for lack of actual measurements) to think LT3092 doesn't do well also.

The tempco of this new part is a positive aspect for sure.

PC Music

In the discussion of how the rpi and BBB sound better than a PC I don't want forum readers to get the impression that PC originated music to the WaveIO + DDDAC sounds bad. My PC + DDDAC set up sounds clearly superior to the highly regarded Sony SCD-XA5400ES class-A rated CD player which I own but don't use any more.

IMO the biggest improvement by far in the SQ of the DDDAC comes from upgrading the power supplies and Vregs to the DDDAC and I2S source devices. Next biggest improvement is from stacking DACs or a Buffer. I would rate replacing the pin 20 resistor with a CCS next. Last is replacing a PC with a rpi/BBB with reclocker which will have the greatest improvement if all the other upgrades are done.

I plan to try an rpi or the equivalent computer some day. Philosophically speaking, I need to make peace with the idea of cleaning up the I2S signal from a $40 computer with a $285 reclocker. I'm waiting for someone like Acko to design a low jitter small computer.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I need to make peace with the idea of cleaning up the I2S signal from a $40 computer with a $285 reclocker.

I have both an rPi and a BBB awaiting a reclocker for the rPi, and the Botic cape to come out for the BBB. The dust has not even started to fall on those yet, much less clear.

Until then, my headless, fanless PC, running JRiver will still be in the lead. I run it with a 1T hard disk inside with the music on it. Will I be able to a difference if I set up the NAS for providing the files? I will have to set it up at some point for the rPi or BBB or Auralic Aries (should I end up going that route).

Philosophically speaking, I need to make peace with the idea of cleaning up the I2S signal from a $40 computer with a $285 reclocker.
The $285 reclocker costs that if you buy it assembled/tested. If you buy the pcb alone ($25 last I checked) and populate it with the minimum required parts (follow Enrico's build instructions, the S03 is a generic solution, when configured for the ddac is uses less parts than when configured for other dacs) I don't think it will cost anywhere near $285. If I remember right, the XO is the most expensive part, about $30 (but you could buy a $10 part if you can live with higher jitter). However, it does require smt soldering which might not be your cup of tea.

I'm waiting for someone like Acko to design a low jitter small computer.
This might be what you are looking for:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/260565-gb-sdtrans384-micro-sd-card-digital-transport.html

I looked at it a while ago and didn't look forward to having to change memory cards to play music. However, Acko uses this and swears by it, as do other people who have used it. I have never listened to it.

just email the guys from audio creative. But beware, the board and smd parts are (unfortunely) the most expenisve parts of the kit...

for a quick check, measure the current to the right and left channel. can be done by measuring over the first 10 Ohm series resistor. expect aprox 500mV. at leadst they should be very similar. this will help finding furher issues? also check pin 20 for 2.4 volt. last methode, change the I2S signals from left to right. this all will give you enough clue what is wrong

Cascoded JFET circuit is shown in post 2622 on Aug 28.
Ross

oh... I see (a possible cause for confusion). Typically, what is called a "cascode JFET CCS" is below. As the single JFET CCS, it's a simple insert in the pin 20 circuit ("two legs"). I don't think there is a combination of JFETs that could work well at 2.4V.

What you have in post 2622 is what I lumped at some point under the name "separately biased CCS," as these ones require a B+ tap (have "three legs").

Just to clarify our terminology...

Radu.

Attachments

• Cascode JFET CCS.pdf
    7.7 KB · Views: 154
Last edited: