A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Internally, a current control diode is a JFET with the gate and source tied together. It should sound the same as an adjustable single JFET circuit. The current control diode seems difficult to implement with precisely 400ua current. It comes in 100ua, 300ua, and 500ua values varying as much as plus or minus 40%. Good luck finding singles or combinations that get close to 400ua. A lot of testing throw-aways at over $2usd each.

the same difficulty stands, though, for JFET based CCSs... Variability in build makes them hard to preconfigure. A trim pot may be the trick.

The only option that would be good out of the box is a BJT-based one (at least two proposed this far), which can be set pretty precisely with specified parts values...

ok, so I just bodged them in quickly for now. Dc offset on the outputs has dropped to 2.2v.
Only heard a couple of tracks so far, but definitely like what I'm hearing. Precise and detailed, but airy, spacious, full and lush in way that sounds like it comes real easy.
Definitely worthwhile, just need to work out that way to hit that magic 400uA figure in a way that's easily done and easily reproduced..

You using Rhopoint 120r?
Your bias could have been lower than 2.7v previous?

Think these diodes could be an option too if there matched and rload is adjusted
Wonder what higher ccs and lower output rload sounds like
Good call, yes. Rhopoint GG102D 120R 0.1% so it will have been a bit low before.
I forgot to measure the dc offset with the 6k resistors in place. It's been a long day...

Here it is guys! With many late nights..., 9Months son, bread&butter, and along with the unfriendly criticisms (crazy, idiots.., has more money than brain cells....). It was somewhat deflated. Nonetheless, I am now managed to complete this master piece of Doede's Engineering in association of Tent Labs years of experience in audio! Hopefully it sounds better then its look! :)

3cf901cff612d100e2579d0f4389fd42.jpg

f2951874d549862f6610c626e420cfe7.jpg

89afc7eeeabdfcb3e2c4801702ac263c.jpg

Last edited:
...maybe option #1 (post #2443) deserves a closer look at this point, having in mind the thought put in the other options and the pluses and minuses found this far.

Rejection is very good across the audio band, and as it works well from 1V it should deal easily with the conditions at hand.

I've been glaring over the spec sheet too, looks very promising. Comes in various useful packages, It's cheap and readily available. I'm trying to calculate the RSet value. For 0.40mA at 2.4V would required the Rset to be 166Ohm, would you agree?

Hi Doede,

All photos captured so far were from my iPhone. I will capture them proper with my D800 if the intend is using on your website?

Btw, thanks James and Stijn for the encouragement! Much appreciated! :)

I & Tuyen will be doing the critical listening and will report back. If opportunity permits, we will also comparing the stock single DAC vs mod with Tent shunt regs.

Watch this page! ;)

Not to forget, I would like to thank Doede and All have contributed into this amazing DAC!

Best,
Chanh

I've been glaring over the spec sheet too, looks very promising. Comes in various useful packages, It's cheap and readily available. I'm trying to calculate the RSet value. For 0.40mA at 2.4V would required the Rset to be 166Ohm, would you agree?

I think 165 ohms should work...

It's temperature-dependent, but the spec sheet mentions a way to cancel that. May be worth considering and I think the voltage drop allows it.

I think 165 ohms should work...

It's temperature-dependent, but the spec sheet mentions a way to cancel that. May be worth considering and I think the voltage drop allows it.

Thanks,

I saw the temperature dependency, they write head sinking will reduce the thermal effect by a factor of 3. The TO-92 package is also probably most temperature stable.
Keeping the part count down to two would obviously be nice. I'm intrested in trying this first.

I've just ordered a bunch of them.

Last edited:
Thanks,

I saw the temperature dependency, they write head sinking will reduce the thermal effect by a factor of 3. The TO-92 package is also probably most temperature stable.
Keeping the part count down to two would obviously be nice. I'm intrested in trying this first.

I've just ordered a bunch of them.

sounds good to me. you guys have been running the built kits - so you know better - but I assume there's not much opportunity for heat near the board so this should be pretty solid. unless anyone runs this with shunt supplies which may get some heaters in there...