Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Drive NOS AD1865/62,PCM1704/02/63,TDA1541 from FIFO: Universal I2S-PCM driver board
Drive NOS AD1865/62,PCM1704/02/63,TDA1541 from FIFO: Universal I2S-PCM driver board
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd August 2020, 05:43 PM   #991
andrea_mori is online now andrea_mori  Italy
diyAudio Member

Basically we are building the "SOTA system" (including amp and speakers) for our personal use, then, since we strongly believe in the architecture of each device as the right way to get the best performance, we are also trying to design some affordable projects to share with the audio community, based on the same architecture of the SOTA devices.

The FIFO Lite is an example, it share the same architecture of the SOTA FIFO but with some simplifications to get the cost affordable. The FIFO Lite is a 1 board device, while the SOTA FIFO will be a 2 chassis device with multiple board.

The rule of thumb: don't expect SOTA devices at Ian's prices, not on the market and neither in diy audio. At such that prices you get audio toys, surely enjoyable, but not the best one can design with the actual technology.
To explain better our thought take a look at the various oscillators available: the CCHD-957 is a toy that costs 25 Euro, the new Driscoll and Differential oscillators are SOTA devices, the best for digital audio ever, but they cost 10 time the Crystek as diy devices. Similar oscillators on the market are the MSB Femto Clock thet costs 19000 USD, or the Oscilloquartz and Wenzel oscillators (not for audio) that cost several USD thousands.

Don't never expect to get a SOTA oscillator for 25 Euro, you will get a toy at this price.

The same for a FIFO buffer, for a DAC and so on.
Old 2nd August 2020, 05:45 PM   #992
diyiggy is offline diyiggy
diyAudio Member

I was joking Andrea as you're a little talking like Ian now .. nothing bad to sell kits at audiophonics ! I prefer fromEurope than China... I have a chineese wallet but I'm ready to pay the european cost, yeah

Reply to this post

Drive NOS AD1865/62,PCM1704/02/63,TDA1541 from FIFO: Universal I2S-PCM driver boardHide this!Advertise here!