very budget USB DAC w/ line out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Great... now there's an update at 17track that says the following:

Nov 3, 2012 1:03:00 PM Status: Departure from outward office of exchange, Location:GUANGDONG
Sep 29, 2012 4:57:00 AM Status: Posting, Location:GUANGDONG

:headbash:

Does this mean it just shipped internationally, and I get to wait another 28 days for it to arrive?

Last edited:
I emailed the HifiMeDiy Store. They responded immediately. They said that:

We are sorry that China post has some delay recently and it takes 6-8weeks for the delivery. Hope for your understanding and receiving the parcel soon. Free to contact us if you have any questions.

We have similar cases in recent two month and the buyers finally received the package. Will have the shipping agency check about your parcel. It is a general problem in Sep and Oct and now we disabled China Post on the website.

So they're very responsive and it makes me feel that I can trust them. But it's already been 8 weeks since it shipped. Hey, maybe it'll arrive today. (No mail yesterday in U.S. b/c of Veteran's Day).

It came! It came! it came! it came!

Haven't had a chance to do too much side by side listening yet. But I can tell you one thing that's hugely improved. The horrible sound I can only describe as "beadiness" from the dell sound card is gone. It would come up whenever there was exposed french horn and sometimes in piano parts as well. Sounded like when you shake a burnt out light bulb next to your ear. Well, it's gone!

Haven't had too much chance to compare it with my Denon cd player yet. But so far so good!

But I can tell you one thing that's hugely improved. The horrible sound I can only describe as "beadiness" from the dell sound card is gone.
Any decent external sound card should have fixed this.

I haven't listened to Epicure speakers in quite a while, but if yours are vintage and in good repair then they are hard to beat for sheer listenability of vocals and acoustic string instruments. The difference between your computer sound card and your new DAC should be apparent with this kind of music through your Epis. (I suggest a female singer with a complex and relatively low voice. Or a cello.) Through your Grados too, for that matter.

Any decent external sound card should have fixed this.

I haven't listened to Epicure speakers in quite a while, but if yours are vintage and in good repair then they are hard to beat for sheer listenability of vocals and acoustic string instruments. The difference between your computer sound card and your new DAC should be apparent with this kind of music through your Epis. (I suggest a female singer with a complex and relatively low voice. Or a cello.) Through your Grados too, for that matter.
Thanks dr0ss. Will do. (With all the family in town for Thanksgiving I haven't had much chance to sit and listen to this thing! But sure am looking forward to it.)

Just want to say thank you to everybody for the hifimediy recommendation. I've been enjoying listening to it immensely these past months. I never got up the initiative to do side-by-side listening tests or any of that stuff -- I've just been enjoying the music too much. It sounds great through my EPIs (w/ Energy e:XL S8 subwoofer).

Thanks very much to all!

Ok thanks, so I'll look for one that I will bolt in the M-Audio in order to make an USB input. And a toggle switch for RCAs selection. So the question of a 2018 USB cheap DAC remains! An ES9023?

Any of these known and decent?
SA9023+ES9023 24BIT/96KHZ asynchronous USB DAC / HIFI Sound Card Decoder board | eBay
NEW SA9023 + ES9023 / USB to SPDIF I2S coaxial / DAC Amplifier 24bit 96K | eBay
ES9028Q2M SA9023 USB DAC Audio Decoder HiFi Headphone Amplifier PC Sound Card | eBay

You may want to try a RaspberryPi based DAC like the Allo Boss. You are then untethered from the computer over wifi and can use Airplay or uPnP and play from your phone or other devices as well as the Lenovo. I have 2 of these now and can stream to either from anywhere. My kids like it because they just Airplay from their phones whatever it is they have on.

For a portable unit that goes out with you I like the Dragonfly. It just plugs into a USB port like any other stick.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.