XEN AK4430 DAC Module with I2S Input

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Following our DAC modules based on ES9022/23 and PCM5102, both of which have I2S inputs to interface with the QA550 SD Player, as well as our own WM8804 SPDIF Receiver, we have made a new module for the AK4430 DAC.

This is the first picture of the first prototype, which works first time. It is still a bit messy, but that is usually the case for the first prototype. As ususal, it has ultra-low-noise LT1761 regulators on board, this time 2x for the DAC. The on-board low-jitter XO on the left hand side of the PCB, with its own LT1761 regulator, is not soldered in this prototype. Our usual frequency divider to enable use of 45MHz to drive the QA550 direct can also be used in this layout.

We shall make further refinements, and then comparison between the three different DACs.

The AK4430 is easily available, e.g. :
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/AK4430ETP-E2/974-1017-1-ND/2333403

So it would make a good DIY project to get people to solder 0402 SMD components.

Here the link to the datasheet :
http://www.akm.com/datasheets/ak4430_f00e.pdf

:)

Patrick

Attachments

• 120922 AK4430V1-top s.jpg
    120922 AK4430V1-top s.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 1,125
Last edited:
So do the ES9022 and the PCM5102 if done correctly. So difficult call which to choose.
We need some more testing and listening before making a judgement.

But as you said, it sounds great, and very easy to get.
Cheaper than the PCM5102 as well, and simpler to implement.
But not as flexible as the 9022/3.

Patrick

Hi,
Have you ever looked directly at the output of the DAC at pins 9 / 10?
I have this DAC in a prototype, and I'm seeing quite a bit of noise on the output. My power supplies are clean, and I'm wondering if this is due to my layout or some inherent issue with the DAC. I can put a 20kHz LPF on the output and it gets rid of most of it, but I don't think it should be there in the first place. If you could find the time to scope the output, I'd appreciate it!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.