For all Bass Junkies out there (Behringer Bass processor usage report)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This week I've picked up my Behringer Ultrabass Pro EX1200 (Subharmonic bass processing unit).
The report itself (BTW Omnifex has one :wave2: you can ask him questions too):
Well after all its a very sexy thing! (many ppl who saw it were like Wow - sweet thing you got there!) pic below.
Its dangerous for your equipment! I mean you have to tune it carefully and use carefully - after cranking it a bit I've heard voicecoil hitting the magnet - Brrr! For the first time... (and thats in a bandpass where driver is hidden inside!)
Somewhat quirky to tune but when you get used to it it does wonders (we are getting to the yummy part :D )
What it does - adds subharmonics to bass frequencies of the signal - putting it simple - it takes 120 hz part of signal shifts/generates one to/at 60 and adds to the signal, in music words - makes weak kick drum sound full of bass and shakes your room :D, controls on the unit can tune it any way you like - from fast and punchy to slow and FAT. Unit has biult in soft limiter which really helps alot - on peaks unit becomes really wild (Imagine adding 20 hz to 40 in all of a sudden) producing ALOT of subharmonics and making your woofers moove like crazy.
I like it! Its not that versatile - if you use it on different music styles(like rock > techno > classical :D nice comparison, but its not likely) you generally have to re-tune it or it produces to much or too few. In general if you stick to one music sub style (like electronic music or etc) it's a nice addition to your music system - I really makes weak recordings regain its power in the bass region making bass cranking knob pretty useless, bass will be there when you need it!
Buying considerations - subwoofer that extends LOW is a MUST (Mine goes to 35 flat and now I'm thinking about biulding smthng which goes to 20-25+ :D thats is what i call "DIY Illness") - if you have some shelf units you will not benefit from it. Unit can really put in a use your, subs espessialy if the go low. BTW unit is cheap - 80$ on sale or around 100-120 straight from Behringer.
Wow I've typed alotta text.
Questions are welcomed.

Attachments

• ex1200_big.jpg
    ex1200_big.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 602
VEC7OR said:
This week I've picked up my Behringer Ultrabass Pro EX1200 (Subharmonic bass processing unit).
The report itself (BTW Omnifex has one :wave2: you can ask him questions too):
Well after all its a very sexy thing! (many ppl who saw it were like Wow - sweet thing you got there!) pic below.
Its dangerous for your equipment! I mean you have to tune it carefully and use carefully - after cranking it a bit I've heard voicecoil hitting the magnet - Brrr! For the first time... (and thats in a bandpass where driver is hidden inside!)
Somewhat quirky to tune but when you get used to it it does wonders (we are getting to the yummy part :D )
What it does - adds subharmonics to bass frequencies of the signal - putting it simple - it takes 120 hz part of signal shifts/generates one to/at 60 and adds to the signal, in music words - makes weak kick drum sound full of bass and shakes your room :D, controls on the unit can tune it any way you like - from fast and punchy to slow and FAT. Unit has biult in soft limiter which really helps alot - on peaks unit becomes really wild (Imagine adding 20 hz to 40 in all of a sudden) producing ALOT of subharmonics and making your woofers moove like crazy.
I like it! Its not that versatile - if you use it on different music styles(like rock > techno > classical :D nice comparison, but its not likely) you generally have to re-tune it or it produces to much or too few. In general if you stick to one music sub style (like electronic music or etc) it's a nice addition to your music system - I really makes weak recordings regain its power in the bass region making bass cranking knob pretty useless, bass will be there when you need it!
Buying considerations - subwoofer that extends LOW is a MUST (Mine goes to 35 flat and now I'm thinking about biulding smthng which goes to 20-25+ :D thats is what i call "DIY Illness") - if you have some shelf units you will not benefit from it. Unit can really put in a use your, subs espessialy if the go low. BTW unit is cheap - 80$ on sale or around 100-120 straight from Behringer.
Wow I've typed alotta text.
Questions are welcomed.

mikee12345 said:
its great to see some one actualy take the time to explain how useful it is!

i may get one,sometime
:smash: :D

<drool> :p i wish i had: A. a sub good enough for this, and B. the money to buy one :(

Ad claims that unit has a crossover - not true - it rather has a hi-pass filter which cuts every thing below 70hz AND doesnt route bass signal to subwoofer output, subwoofer output is for subharmonics only, but tweaking controls gives us ability to work as XO but with subharmonics only (although we can set level to 0) and with fixed X point at 70hz.
Not useful with headphones, no matter how good they are - its just that subharmonics can be heard and they sound somewhat not too good, but thats applies to headphones ONLY.
Another thing - dont try to crank subharmonic knob to its max - you'll get way too much bass, so far best setting is that subharmonic level is at -6 or -3 Db compared to 0 Db of original signal, this way you'll get enough punch and not too much of it.
Thats all I think.

Hi!

VEC7OR said:

From the description & specs this thing reminds me of the Thomessen Bass Expander (Link), which I still use from time to time. And I also had the problem of constantly adjusting it to different music styles, and therefore haven't used it that much.

I think such units would be better if they also incorporated something like a compressor, adjusting the attenuation of the bass to the actual peak values of the song, therefore doing needed adjustments by itself...

But, for uses like you mentioned, and maybe also home theater use it will fare quite well...

Bye,

Arndt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.