Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Digital crossover for 3-way speakers
Digital crossover for 3-way speakers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th February 2017, 12:47 PM   #41
plasnu is offline plasnu  United States
diyAudio Member

It is a very difficult choice between FIR vs IIR. I went back and forth many times until I ended up choosing 260000 tap FIR, but IIR still sounds slightly better in some way, when comparing IIR vs FIR with the same phase response.

I wouldn't be using FIR if I would not have needed phase correction. FiR is a double sided sward.
Old 26th February 2017, 08:11 AM   #42
muskel is offline muskel  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Fenalaar, i would buy the curryman DAC, but i need balanced output via XLRs so i still need to sort out the what dacs to use. One option would be to use backplane output boards like this in a 2U case: https://www.minidsp.com/forum/sugges...alanced-output FIR is just for experimentation in case i need it. Plasnu, i have a pc and i will use it, but the audio system still needs to be usable - i feed it a signal via spdif and it plays the sound, be the source video, audio, a pc game etc.. Im planning to run 96khz anyways if possible. What hardware did you use to achieve 260000 tap FIR?
Old 26th February 2017, 02:09 PM   #43
Fenalaar is offline Fenalaar  Norway
diyAudio Member

XLR outputs? How about the Twisted Pear Opus dacs, then? They're $75 a piece for stereo modules, and they offer balanced outputs.

A 260000 tap filter has serious amounts of latency, so it would be of little us with video.
The latency is calculated as
(N - 1) / (2 * Fs) where N is the number of taps and Fs is the sampling frequency.

A 2048 tap filter at 48kHz has a latency of 21ms.

A 260000 tap filter at 96kHz has a latency of 1.35 secs. At 192kHz, the latency is still at .67 seconds.

If you do crossovers and use different FIR lengths, you need to account for the difference in latency.

Johan-Kr

Last edited by Fenalaar; 26th February 2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 26th February 2017, 09:36 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

muskel, my computer is Mac Mini i7. It is also used as a music server with Tidal and iTunes. You can buy a second hand, balanced out, multiple channel, excellent pro audio interface for $100-$2000. Pro audio is a matured market and the price is not unreasonable like consumer audio interface. Gearsluz.com is a good place to research pro audio equipments.

Fenalaar, 260000 tap with a latency of 1.35ms@96K is a theoretical limit. My setup has a few times more latency than that to avoid occasional clicks.
Old 28th February 2017, 06:46 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

plasnu - the latency is seconds, not miliseconds.

Johan-Kr
Old 2nd March 2017, 05:47 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenalaar View Post
plasnu - the latency is seconds, not miliseconds.

Johan-Kr
yes. typo. My current latency is probably more than 2 sec.
Old 2nd March 2017, 07:54 AM   #47
diyAudio Member

For audio only, a latency of 2 seconds or more wouldn't really be a problem. Video would be a problem.

260000 is a bit of overkill, I feel.

I did a test with my Minisharc, and downloaded the 2x2 plugin in addition to the 4x8 plugin.

Running it two-channel as a correction unit for my passive speakers, the difference in accuracy in the bass with 6000 taps per channel (2x2 plugin) versus only 2000 taps is apparent.

I'd use IIR eq to start with. As most of the speaker problems are minimum phase, straightening the response with IIR will automatically fix phase too. Then use FIR to do XO and remaining phase problem. If using the minisharc in 4x8 mode, I'd limit FIR usage below about 150Hz as much as possible.

Johan-Kr

Digital crossover for 3-way speakersHide this!Advertise here!