Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

CM6631 usb audio interface .... any good?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2019, 09:45 PM   #781
hellokitty123 is offline hellokitty123  United States
diyAudio Member

https://www.mouser.com/PCN/Integrate...T_20170515.pdf

It EOL. I need something that's in production.
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:44 PM   #782
Lingwendil is offline Lingwendil  United States
Now with high-fructose ASSAULT-gluten!
diyAudio Member

Hey there. I have the same board pictured here, with CM6331A-

Click the image to open in full size.

I use it with a laptop currently, and it works fine.

Is it compatible with Android based tablets? I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 and a Google Nexus 10 that I would like to use primarily as media tablets, and was wondering if additional software or chicanery was required.
Old 22nd February 2019, 07:01 PM   #783
chermann is online now chermann  Austria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty123 View Post
Both CM6631A and PM39LV512 difficult or impossible to get a hold of through official channels. Are these parts at the end? I really don't want to touch XMOS and the programming required.
Hi expert just a question for my noob knowledge at DAC. in the CM6631A datasheet its written : Connects to an external parallel Flash/EEPROM memory (Max. 64KB, 55ns access time is required) for firmware codes i search for a lot of pics in the net with cm6631A boards and all PM39LV512 are with 70nsec...so its is ok? can somebody explain me this

chris
Old 22nd February 2019, 08:32 PM   #784
Foxx510 is offline Foxx510  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingwendil View Post
Hey there. I have the same board pictured here, with CM6331A-
It should work with an OTG cable if the firmware is standard.
Old 23rd February 2019, 12:30 AM   #785
IVX is offline IVX  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

Regarding OTG, it's strange but I wasn't able to turn Neutron Android player work in 384kHz mode. Only 32/192, no more. Firmware made by cm6631a config tool(CM6631ADACKit.exe), where 32bit is enabled. Does anyone have an idea of how to test 32/384 mode with IOS/Android?
Old 3rd March 2019, 12:54 AM   #786
5th element is offline 5th element  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

This may seem like a silly question but with regards to the parallel flash is there any reason why you actually need to connect D0-7 and A0-15, on the CM663x, to the corresponding number on the flash chip itself?

In other words D0 to D0, D1 to D1.

I can't think of any exact reason why you need to do this.

For example lets say you were to connect A0 to A15, A1 to A14 etc and have the pins going backwards.

Under normal circumstances you'd have them A0 to A0. So lets say you want to write 0xFF into address 1. A15 to A1 would all be held low and A0 high on the CM663x and you'd end up with 0xFF stored at address 1 of the flash memory. The CM663x would think 0xFF is stored at address 1, so to recall that data it would hold A15 to A1 low and send A0 high, then perform a read, it would then get FF.

But if A15 to A0 are reversed at the flash chip, the CM663x would still hold A15 to A1 low and A0 high to store at address 1. This time though the flash chip would have A15 held high and the rest low as the pins were reversed. The CM663x would write 0xFF and it would be stored at 0b1000000000000000. To recall this data the CM663x would send out a 1 on the address pins, but the flash would see a 0b1000000000000000 and the CM663x would still get its 0xFF.

Everyone seems to route A0 to A15, D0 to D7 then have a struggle routing all the traces. But surely you just can connect the address and data pins of the CM663x to any order of address and data pins on the flash memory and everything would still work. Sure that would make everything only compatible with your PCB but that's not really a problem when you're only DIYing a couple of boards.

Am I missing something?

I could see this being a problem if sequential or bulk data transfers happened (like with serial interfaces), but do they happen with parallel storage, apart from a bulk erase?
Old 3rd March 2019, 01:56 AM   #787
5th element is offline 5th element  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hmm it seems like this could work when swapping some lines around but not all.
Old 3rd March 2019, 05:36 PM   #788
diyAudio Member

nobody?... please ...i am noob...
Old 3rd March 2019, 05:49 PM   #789
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

There is always some hardware protocol for talking to Flash/EEPROM. Access time is only one requirement, the replacement part you use would have to operate in exactly same way the old memory chip did (in terms of addressing modes, read/write control, etc.), otherwise the CM6631A would not know how to talk to it. Maybe CM6631A firmware could be modified, or maybe the memory chip requirements are defined in hardware and un-changeable. Don't know if anyone here has looked into it deeply enough, but it doesn't look good seems to be general consensus. If you want to buy the old memory parts from a distributor that specializes in stocking discontinued parts, you might be able to find the old, original part there, at least until stocks run out.
Old 3rd March 2019, 06:45 PM   #790
diyAudio Member

Thank you Mark for your time to explain...
as i can read from 5th element there is more then hardware.....hmm...interesting but its not my level....
thx
chris

CM6631 usb audio interface .... any good?Hide this!Advertise here!