Multichannel DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

there seem to be thousands of DAC and DAC kits on the market.... but I need more than 2 Channels; at least 8! Crossovers, FIR correction etc is done in PC so I like to go out seperately for ech channel and amp.

I found 3 options:
- Buy a ordinary Audio interface (Rme UCX would be nice): Boring and quite expensive! ;-)
- Use minidsp USBstreamer and its l2s out. But then? Ok design l2s-analog converter according to example shematics I can do but is lot of work. Finished solutions I did not find with suitable DA chips (pcm179x or WM8741). Ideas or resources for finished solutions?
-Is it possible to connect more than 1 two-channel DAC to PC and use parallel but with different outputs? 4 DAC on 1 PC maybe a bit weird but if it works it may be the safest and best solution as plenty are available.

Thanks for your help and ideas for option 2&3!
Ron

Hi,

at least one having same issues like me ;-)

But I guess I found the best solution now....

USBStreamer + Buffalo 3 DAC from twisted pear. If I understand everything right I can put in the 8 channels via I2S and get out 8 channels (4x stereo) converted by a reference dac chip. In the end not the cheapest choice (streamer, buffalo, power supply,... >500$) but a very good as it seems.

Other solutions still welcome :)

cheers!

I'm looking for the same... a multichannel (6 or 8channel) DAC with balanced outputs...
the following looks like exactly what I want.., but beyond my price range...
exaSound Audio Design > e28 DAC > e28 DAC

the Buffalo is something that will need work putting it together and could run more than $600 total for the following:
A buffalo module and power supply for it (placid ps)
An IVY III linestage and power supply for it (placid bipolar ps)
A reciever board (USB, s/pdif or s/pdif/toslink unit)
Two transformers (2x15v for ivy, 2x9v for buffalo) (tpa sell them too)
Wiring, connectors (iec, rca etc) and a case

Are there any other options... (I've already looked at products from Lynx, RME, Fireface, Digigram, Motu, M-Audio, Roland, Behringer etc)

Ideally - I'd like to have someone experienced make a custom DAC with 3 or 4 Sabre ES9018 chips (even though its a 8channel chip - I'd like to use it as a stereo DAC for better THD and Dynamics) and the best quality components for the power and line stages with gold plated XLR or minXLR outputs.

Is there anyone out there who can design and build the ultimate multichannel DAC.

I reckon I could have a shot at it, but chances are you're not looking at ultimate SQ if you're suggesting using ESS9018. It suffers from noise modulation - some evidence is contained in this post on Head-Fi - so dynamics is most definitely not its strong point.

Ranking of 17 DACs and DAC Configurations - Page 10

If you're after the best possible subjective dynamics, multibit DACs still can't be beaten.

I reckon I could have a shot at it, but chances are you're not looking at ultimate SQ if you're suggesting using ESS9018. It suffers from noise modulation - some evidence is contained in this post on Head-Fi - so dynamics is most definitely not its strong point.

Ranking of 17 DACs and DAC Configurations - Page 10

If you're after the best possible subjective dynamics, multibit DACs still can't be beaten.

what nonsense !!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.