DSP Xover project (part 2)

I did start again.. with a different laptop. Everything worked fine on the preset “pass through” settings. I then made sure all the channels were where I thought they were. I then rebuilt the crossovers back up from scratch. Everything is now working correctly as before. I don’t know what I did differently from yesterday evening... but it now works again.

It’s interesting there are no affordable alternatives now minidsp have stopped selling DIY options, if there are could someone let me know.... as I feel I need an alternative spare option as next time I may not be as lucky.

I did start again.. with a different laptop. Everything worked fine on the preset “pass through” settings. I then made sure all the channels were where I thought they were. I then rebuilt the crossovers back up from scratch. Everything is now working correctly as before. I don’t know what I did differently from yesterday evening... but it now works again.
It’s interesting there are no affordable alternatives now minidsp have stopped selling DIY options, if there are could someone let me know.... as I feel I need an alternative spare option as next time I may not be as lucky.

Glad that it works now fine again :) Maybe the old files are not stored properly on your laptop, anyway it works now.

The freedsp-aurora mentioned could be an option for you. I was thinking as well about using it as alternative to the Najda...

But all of these DSPs possess the same characteristics: the AD and DA converters are poorly design and they are adding a "digital signatur" to the signal - even in "pass-through" modus! So I went back to analogue crossovers and use the DSP as measuring and adjustment instrument.

Hi.
I have problem with Najda DSP outputs 5 to 8 (there are only clicks from the speakers when i turn the volume button and low volume distorted sound when i turn the volume way up on Najda).
The problem happened when i changed the op amp for channel 5 & 6 and the opamp was not completely in socket.
I tried to change to stock configuration but the problem remains.
Is there anything i can do? All other works perfect.

Thanks.

I measure the voltage across op amps and i get 2V and 5V on the another ( the other that work the voltage is 24V). Near those not working op amps is LM317. I will try to replace it.
Is there any other part I need to pay attention to?

Attachments

• 2020-05-15 12.41.35.jpg
    2020-05-15 12.41.35.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 434
Hello all,
New to WAF World (what is "NUC"?)
downloaded .zip files for 1.1.1 1 1.1.2 and 1.1.5
Look like executables (For setup?)
Picked this board up from Nick a while ago I met him in Wroclaw, helped him with moving (6 years ago??)
Board says "Najda v1.3"
hoping to find someone with the ability to assemble this (along with housing)
would any one help? (currently living in Wroclaw, Poland... American... really bad Polish ;-)
photo taken with my crappy cell phone... can make more/send/post... (how do I post? DIY asks for url... photos on my PC
thanks, John

Last edited:
Hello all,
New to WAF World (what is "NUC"?)
downloaded .zip files for 1.1.1 1 1.1.2 and 1.1.5
Look like executables (For setup?)
Picked this board up from Nick a while ago I met him in Wroclaw, helped him with moving (6 years ago??)
Board says "Najda v1.3"
hoping to find someone with the ability to assemble this (along with housing)
would any one help? (currently living in Wroclaw, Poland... American... really bad Polish ;-)
photo taken with my crappy cell phone... can make more/send/post... (how do I post? DIY asks for url... photos on my PC
thanks, John
Hello sztabo85, John,
Welcome to the amazing world of Najda [emoji846]
Unlike most of us you met and talked to Nick then!

There's definitely help to be had on most things, case, the front and rear panels. Power supply is another subject (assuming you have just the raw board?).

Having used a Mouser switching mode PSU, I changed about 2yrs ago to linear 5v and and linear 12-0-12v supply.
I currently use RPi 3b + Allo Kali reclocker via I2S input into Najda, streaming Qobuz High Res etc using Volumio.
I also occasionally use the analogue input for my SP-10.

Easy upgrades possible are Burson op amps ($$$).

I've always got great help here.

It's gone a bit quiet since Nick disappeared but I'm sure folk will be among to help out.

P.S. didn't see any photos?

Last edited:
Hello! thanks for the reply

Yes, Nick's Business office ("WAF") was on the fourth floor above a pub in Wroclaw... a few beers and conversation led to audio...
a few years later, I contacted him regarding my Orfeusz 206:
He said: "forget that! I have something even cooler!"
That's how I ended up with Najda v1.3, with SMPS and a few doo-dads (USB, coax SPDIF expansion boards)..and no tally, no clue how to move forward with proper assembly... (while I have/had a pretty good grip on acoustics, Nick must have assumed I was also an electronics wiz)
any assistance would be greatly appreciated...
As mentioned before, while this unit is capable of far more (AFAIK), I intnd to use it as a highly flexible crossover/processor for some "old fart in the garage speaker experimentation" :eek:
Also, yet to figure out how to post photos, on DIY, of my new old toys (the Najda):)
thanks, John

Reactions: 1 user
If you are on a phone get the Tappa talk app. Sign in etc. Hit Photos, files button at the bottom of a post you start and attach Pics etc from the phone.
It takes care of links too.

You need a power supply. It needs to supply a 5v and a separate 12-0-12v (that's a negative and positive 12v with a common ground.
The board is marked up where to connect these
If you search for 12-0-12 power supplies you'll find one on eBay etc for a 30-50 dollars. Most are open frame.
The switching is at such a high frequency it doesn't interfere with Najda. Even placed in same case next to. Obviously you will be dealing with AC voltages so get help with that bit of you are worried.

Building the case etc depends on the front panel gear you have.
Mine was early so I connected all the buttons and display up point to point. The later ones are more plug and play with the ribbon connectors taking the hassle out of that.

Install the Najda in control sw on a laptop etc. Power up connect with USB printer lead.
Then you can start building X/Is etc.
The user guide is no too bad.
Read and look at all pics on this thread and you should be fine.

Last edited:
I currently use RPi 3b + Allo Kali reclocker via I2S input into Najda

Hi I’m planing to move my jRiver to RPi 4 and had thought to use the USB input on Najda. I have the boxed version that Nick built with an internal USB card into I2S.
Is the Allo Kali into I2S a better solution. I wold provobly have to disasamble the USB card.

Can you describe the installation some more. This might also interest others as jRiver can convolve digital filter and as such ad to the computing capacity of Najda.