DSP Xover project (part 2)

Sounds good! ;)

indeed it does! and local too!

might I suggest/ask/plead that you have optional u.fl pads for the i2s and MCK in and out? they take up almost no space and are totally SMD, so only need a pad and a via. makes for compact, neat and very effective impedance controlled connections and is starting to become a bit of a standard with any luck. 2 x USB->i2s boards, 1-2 dacs and the i2s fifo so far and its picking up steam.

Last edited:
see my edit for request, i'm suggesting you add these like on ians i2s fifo board. this is a close up if an adapter he made but shows well, I have w.fl its smaller brother on my ackodac for the native connections and its on a few more recent boards released here for clock and i2s interconnections. not exclusively, just as an option as they take up so little space and should not interfere with layout when placed in parallel to a pinheader or whatever.

290461d1341622387-asynchronous-i2s-fifo-project-ultimate-weapon-fight-jitter-inputu.fladapter2.jpg
290460d1341622387-asynchronous-i2s-fifo-project-ultimate-weapon-fight-jitter-u.fladapterworking.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe the final batch will be different, higher res pictures are still welcome to satisfy my hunger!

Hi DS23man, more pics will follow shortly when I receive the first batch. I'm not eager to post detailed pics of a changing layout as this will cause confusion, hope you understand.

see my edit for request, i'm suggesting you add these like on ians i2s fifo board. this is a close up if an adapter he made but shows well, I have w.fl its smaller brother on my ackodac for the native connections and its on a few more recent boards released here for clock and i2s interconnections. not exclusively, just as an option as they take up so little space and should not interfere with layout when placed in parallel to a pinheader or whatever.

Thanks for the suggestion. So my understanding is that you'd like to see pads for mini coaxial sockets, is that correct?

yep, for i2s and clock. they are sold under a few different names, but the one that will always get hits at digikey or mouser is u.fl. They are 50ohms and good for up to 6GHz; most often used for connecting wifi antenna in mobiles or lappies, but they are perfect here for i2s and clock I/O.

they are called U.FL, UMC, or AMC depending on brand, but I use the Hirose U.FL the TE connectivity branded is fine too and about half the price. also for clock adapters instead of or as well as a dip type adapter the SMD female (only hirose make this one) would be perfect

possibilities for tapping balanced output filters?

if not I second this

looks like a 4 layer board trevor, application notes for DSP chips would be unlikely to cover 2 layer designs, I can see plenty of vias which hints at multilayer

i'm interested too, but mainly digital out as I have the dac side fully sorted with a 2 balanced sabre dacs

2 layer boards have lots of vias for obvious reasons ;)

I've seen an Analog Devices SHARC run on a two layer board with no power and ground plane !!

I only see power planes on the top layer which means that all traces are on the bottom layer or if it is a 4 layer board then traces are sandwiched on the inner layers which is a strange way to do it !!

regards
Trev

sure yes, ha!

but if its 2 layer and all traces are on the bottom, I guess I can understand why we havent seen a pic of the bottom, it would be shenanigans down there.

just the DSP COULD run 2 layer, but recievers + DSP + MCU + clocks + multichannel dacs and their analogue stages? possible but wow

Last edited:
I would bloody hope it betters the minidsp, otherwise whats the point? I would think it will, though I dont know what the dac chips are the idea behind it seems better thought through to me. the digital in digital out minidsp thingo looks interesting for the money, but layout seems compromised, along with the i2s connection scheme and it olnly has the one clock, so everything is resampled and I really dont like that.