Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

DSP Xover project (part 2)
DSP Xover project (part 2)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2021, 06:47 PM   #3511
elektrodepp is offline elektrodepp  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30m20 View Post
@Shaun: Yes, I have firmware version 1.3, too - tried always to get the latest tricks from Nick.
@Shaun: Yes, decimation would have been a big step forward. First of all it is sad not to hear good news from Nick, but second to this it is sad that noone can continue his great work.

Power on/off process often requires two steps, if software is involved. I tried to manage this with the raspberry, succeeded....but only until volumio had to be updated. So I guess we have to live with this.

Najda is a bit shy: when I turn on power amps after Najda, there is a beep from the notebook running NUC, and Najda disconnects. Once understood I can deal with this.
@Vinylnvalves: This happens, when Najda is connected via analog input to my measuring equipment. Turning on the IMP after Najda is not healthy...

A strange thing is this: My speakers have a response nearly absolutely equal - measured using the analog input. Hearing music afterwards via digital input (coaxial S/P-DIF), I need to shift balance 2dB to the right.

Speedysteve7 had a similar theme a while ago but blamed it on the raspberry (connected via I2S!) or volumio, if I remember well.
Hi all
This is Josh from germany and i am a newbie with my Najda.
You wrote „firmware 1.3“ - is it correct, or do you mean the board version ?

Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 07:08 PM   #3512
elektrodepp is offline elektrodepp  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default FW 1.3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
I am in the process of resurrecting my Najda. Have confirmed that it works again. I have V1.1 board. I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone here used Najda over an extended period of time? Have you encountered any issues, such as data corruption (required a re-flash or re-configuration)? If so, what version do you have?

2. What is the latest firmware? I have 1.3.
Hi Shaun

Can you supply my with firmware version 1.3 ?

Thanks Josh
Old 13th January 2021, 08:13 PM   #3513
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrodepp View Post
Hi Shaun

Can you supply my with firmware version 1.3 ?

Thanks Josh
It's backed up on this page:

WAF-Audio

When you run NUC it will detect the firmware version and then update it if necessary.

Last edited by Shaun; 13th January 2021 at 08:19 PM.
Old 13th January 2021, 08:21 PM   #3514
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
When you run NUC it will detect the firmware version and then update it if necessary.
Just to clarify: it seems that the firmware update resides within the NUC application.
Old 14th January 2021, 05:14 PM   #3515
30m20 is offline 30m20  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylnvalves View Post
What’s a CD ... CD player went about 10 years ago.. all streamed music nowadays. I will download a test signal.
Impedance mismatching is the same as for any driving load. Understanding Impedance

Don´t worry, I stream, too, but since I realized that I sold my turntable too early, I keep my ReVox tape deck and my CD-player. Why sell for nearly nothing?
Thanks for the link to that article, nice to read with a cup of tea and cake - but I knew what impedance is. My (rethorical) question was how to solve the problem in the real world of Najda analog-in.
I have measured the balance via S/P-DIF, everything o.k., seems to be a room reflection that I underestimated.

Any idea why a positive post-gain "is the clue of an improper gain structure", as Nick wrote?
Old 14th January 2021, 05:28 PM   #3516
jbator is offline jbator  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30m20 View Post
Like certainly others, I found out, that a 48 dB-filter at say 5KHz needs a pre-gain of -8 or -9 dB to avoid clipping. Why not push a bit upwards again with a positive post-gain (to avoid to have to attenuate the other channels to the same lower level -> lose resolution)?
6dBa is one bit so I don't mind. If you do this on digital level there will be some clipping. If you want to heave similar signal level you can boost it in attenuator config (in analog domain).
Old 14th January 2021, 05:33 PM   #3517
30m20 is offline 30m20  Europe
diyAudio Member

@jbator: Yes, I know how to workaround practically. It is only a question of interest, why Nick wrote this - or in other words: why not correct via positive post-gain?
Old 14th January 2021, 10:25 PM   #3518
fluid is online now fluid  Australia
diyAudio Member

The point he was trying to make is that adding gain back afterwards suggests you took too much away in the first place, therefore bad gain structure.
Old 15th January 2021, 07:29 AM   #3519
piecor is offline piecor  Italy
diyAudio Member

not sure if this is of interested but the last backup of the (now expired) WAF website dates back to 01-Sept-2019 and it's here

WAF-Audio
Old 15th January 2021, 08:03 AM   #3520
shining31 is offline shining31  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbator View Post
6dBa is one bit so I don't mind. If you do this on digital level there will be some clipping. If you want to heave similar signal level you can boost it in attenuator config (in analog domain).
Do you have guys explanations on that? I don't understand why with thé minidsp I don't have to lower thé input signal to avoid clipping when I add a high-pass for examole

DSP Xover project (part 2)Hide this!Advertise here!