Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

DSP Xover project (part 2)
DSP Xover project (part 2)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2019, 10:31 AM   #3341
Speedysteve7 is offline Speedysteve7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'm pretty sure we're all I2S.

I've sent questions to Allo about their Kali board connections with the Najda info I have..
Hoping they'll take a look at Nadja side too and point me in the right direction

In the meantime I will try the various DAC options in RPi (Volumio). Could be something other than I2S generic might work?.. but I doubt it somehow.
Old 4th January 2019, 09:26 PM   #3342
diyAudio Member

Update!

It's a good job I'm a persistent bugger!

After getting a weird sped up effect (like Pinky and Perky..) when I accidentally tried the Pro I2S dac setting in Volumio when messing with my ordinary Hifiberry, I thought there might be something in Volumio going on stopping the RPi I2S into Najda working as it should.

After trying several settings and getting stuck on the Allo Piano 2.1 I2S DAC setting (rendering RPi unreachable by IP address and it even seemingly toasting one SD card), the next I2S DAC selectable in Volumio was Apple Pie DAC!

You can see I'm still on A out of all the letters.. there must be some 40 or 50 selectable!

It only works.. & plays
Can't you hear me knocking by The good old Rolling Stones perfectly!!!!!!! Yes I know more than one ! is bad taste.
All other problem tracks are fine too.
Balance is seemly fine too.

Now to customise some more save the config file and then have me some quality time evaluating RPi..

Hopefully Allo will get back to me with other even better suggestions, but for now it sounds ok.

I might even try it without Kali at some point.. but not for a while.

The more I listen the more in liking it.
Easy to A/B compare at the touch of a button with ChromeCast Audio too!

I2S when it works it's the future haha..

Last edited by Speedysteve7; 4th January 2019 at 09:48 PM.
Old 5th January 2019, 06:05 PM   #3343
30m20 is offline 30m20  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi Steve,

thanks for sharing your findings! I line in with others observing the balance is not quite right using RPi - I2S - Najda!
In your post from 30th December 2018 you write, you use separate power supplies for RPi and Kali - would you tell us, which psu types you use?
Am I understanding right that you use the "Apple Pie DAC" setting in Volumio? (Im trying KODI instead at the moment, so no quick try possible...)
Is this setting healthy without Kali, too?

Can you please give us an idea if RPi - Kali - I2S - Najda is better sounding than RPi - I2S - Najda?

On our way to a better sounding 2019!
Old 5th January 2019, 09:10 PM   #3344
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30m20 View Post
Hi Steve,

thanks for sharing your findings! I line in with others observing the balance is not quite right using RPi - I2S - Najda!
In your post from 30th December 2018 you write, you use separate power supplies for RPi and Kali - would you tell us, which psu types you use?
Am I understanding right that you use the "Apple Pie DAC" setting in Volumio? (Im trying KODI instead at the moment, so no quick try possible...)
Is this setting healthy without Kali, too?

Can you please give us an idea if RPi - Kali - I2S - Najda is better sounding than RPi - I2S - Najda?

On our way to a better sounding 2019!
I'm using a dual output 5v linear power supply. One to the RPi and one to the Kali board. You remove a little jumper on Kali for this.

So far I've not tried the Apple Pi DAC setting in Volumio on RPi only.

It's a bit of a fiddle as I have to unplug lots and pull Najda out to get access, but I will do so soon.
It could be that it will work fine without Kali, but you read lots about the poor clocks of RPi.

There are lots of parameter changes possible to under volt and the like the RPi - some say they improve the sound. That's in the config file in the boot sector.. lots to try.

I've got WiFi, usb and Bluetooth all off. Not sure how much difference they make.
Could have been from early RPi days when things were marginal on power..
Old 10th January 2019, 11:54 AM   #3345
diyAudio Member

For the record:

RPi + Allo Kali reclocker users!

Good news!
Allo support got back to me.

They recommended setting the DAC model to R-PI DAC in Volumio. I just never got that far down the exhaustive list
This I did, and it did not crash the RPi or brick the SD card Good start!

Also they said: "With Kali 24bit format does not play back properely. So enable Audio resampling on to 32bit."

I did this too and just had a little listen.

Sounds good!
Instrument placement and timing is as it should be on all my test tracks.
The very slight overall balance offset, still there on Apple Pi DACs setting, is now gone.

The Audio resampling setting does not affect Spotify etc.
It did change things on NAS file playback.
The lights on Kali change accordingly. I set the target sample rate to 96, as that is what Najda works at.
I have yet to try other settings. Most of the time I'm using Spotify anyway..

I re-asked Allo support if there is any other way of connecting Kali, using the MCLK etc, but I suspect I have it as it should be.

DSP Xover project (part 2)Hide this!Advertise here!