ES9023 DAC PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
You are welcome. A new thread will be opened for a groupbuy by unixdeveloper. I hope that the DAC will perform like we want it to. Maybe unixdeveloper will comment on soundquality. I hope he does ;)

It is (like most ES9023 designs) a very simple design. It has 4 ultra low noise voltage regs, a low jitter clock for the ES9023, film caps at the outputs and ... a possibility for having a balanced output. The latter will be tested by unixdeveloper as I only have asymmetrical equipment.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Exactly, only SPDIF and I2S so no USB. You can omit the WM8804 and go for I2S if you like. There are many USB DACs around but most stand alone devices (read: non-computer gear) still have SPDIF outputs. Of course it is a personal thing but I don't use a computer for audio nor any USB device. I get the impression that USB is not exactly a good replacement for our old enemy SPDIF. Building the DAC into devices and going the I2S route is the most optimal AFAIK.

I asked the mods to change the thread title to ES9023 DAC PCB as the ES9022 is old news, the ES9023 is its replacement for quite a while now. We use a 3.6 V reg for that matter to feed the ES9023 as it likes 3.6 V to obtain full 2.0 V output signal. Of course ES9022 can be used too with a 3.3 V reg.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Pictures of the DAC

All -

As mentioned by Jean-Paul in his post here are the pictures of the boards. I listened for a while last night and it sounds good.

Its a simple design with balanced output option when two boards are used. Four low noise regulators are used on the board power each sections separately. The I2S pins are available for inputting I2S signals and skipping the S/PDIF receiver.

I can start a new group buy thread for members who wish to buy the boards. If there is not much interest, interested members can email me and I can arrange for the boards.

-Subbu

Attachments

• DAC-PCB.jpg
    DAC-PCB.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 3,819
  • DAC-Assembled 2.jpg
    DAC-Assembled 2.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 3,976
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi, the board can take 2 positive supplies but they can both be coupled and fed by the same power supply. Since only one DAC has been built differences are not yet known. In fact we're a bit too early presenting the DAC but enthusiasm is a good thing :cool:

One of the connectors can be used for a separate power supply that feed the 2 regs for the WM8804 and the other connector can be used for the 2 regs that feed the oscillator and the ES9023. The board needs either one 5 V supply or 2 x 5 V if you want to separate and use both connectors. Somewhat higher voltages might be used but I would not push it.

Changing the board for USB use maybe is possible (I will not bother) but I would recommend the new born ODAC for that. It was introduced yesterday and I hope our DAC will be as promising as the ODAC looks on paper.

Last edited:
All -

As mentioned by Jean-Paul in his post here are the pictures of the boards. I listened for a while last night and it sounds good.

Its a simple design with balanced output option when two boards are used. Four low noise regulators are used on the board power each sections separately. The I2S pins are available for inputting I2S signals and skipping the S/PDIF receiver.

I can start a new group buy thread for members who wish to buy the boards. If there is not much interest, interested members can email me and I can arrange for the boards.

-Subbu

I'm still interested, and I would expect a fair amount of interest in buying these boards.

Randy

All -

-Subbu

I am also interested in at least 2 boards.
Hope there will be enough response for starting a GB.

Schuhbu

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
We are not Patrick (but I personally respect his work). Look at the pics of the PCB please. WM8804 uses a 12 MHz crystal and ES9023 uses a 50 MHz low jitter oscillator. You can choose one that suits you yourself. For instance Fox HC736, Euroquartx XO91 etc. or any other good/better HCMOS 50 MHz 7 x 5 mm 3.3 V oscillator. Choosing the best oscillator alone (or caps for that matter) can fill tens of pages here. There is a BOM with recommendations. I can not comment on the balanced part except that you will need 2 x PCB and 2 x ES9023 and 1 x WM8804. Maybe Unixdeveloper can add some info on that subject.

We are not a company but fellow DIYers having designed a PCB (since no one else did that for DIYers) so we don't take you by the hand and walk you around. The more options experienced DIYers try the better it is, the longer the threads and the more boards we will sell ;) See it a as a learning experience like the DCB1/Mezmerize project started once and don not push us as we have tried our best and lack the time to answer all questions. This is not a tailor made solution.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.