24 channels USB to I2S interface (with Source codes, ASIO/VHDL/Schematic)

Current status of the 24 channel project.

A couple of questions.

I going to need 23 channels for a 7.2 3way system.
So I would need 44100*24bits*24channels / 8 bits = 3.2 MB/s minimum?
192k*24*24 / 8 bits = 14 MB/s
386k*24*24 / 8 bits = 28 MB/s max

1. Will the parts do this?

2. Confused on the choice of Sync/Async FIFO chips. Not many high speed 32 pin chips, they are all 64 pin.

3. Do all the parts have to be at the same frequency?

I was thinking of going with a
Isolator SI8420BB-D-IS at 8ns 150MHz
FIFO CY7C421-20JXC at 10ns 100MHz
FTDI UM2232H
FPGA I don't know

Last edited:
For 7.1 surround sound crossovers. 8 channels * 3 drivers per cabinet. = 24 channels ( well 22 Subwoofer cab only need one channel)

not use sound card, use software and USB out to digital amp.

Thank you for digital amp KOON, was looking at 22 DACs. Ouch :eek:

Hi
why do you need 24 channels, pls? And where do you get 24 channel sources?
I am just curious because i have never seen audio cd/dvd/br etc with 24 channels

3 drivers per cabinet.
Do you mean a "cabinet" is a speaker cabinet with 3 drivers == High Freq, Middle and the Bass? Right? 3 channels per speaker?
Than you are going to have 24 channel preamp and 24 channel amp?
OMG!

Then the setup probably would go close to the following : The Greatest Show on Earth! | Home Theater

Hm. I am not sure that I am personally ready to go so far. Anyway it is interesting ;)

Filled out my shopping cart at Future Electronics. Got everything I need for like $80.

Only thing left is the FPGA. DLP-HS-FPGA2 so expensive. Can I get something else cheaper?

I noticed several FPGA kits being thrown around, but was there an agreement on the best one? And well, it has to be minimum of trouble in replacing FTDI one.

Sincerely,

David P

Edit: Hey guess what, it seems like DLP came out with the FPGA3 back in June 2012. It intergrates Xilinx FPGA with FTDI's 2232H chip. $210 at digikey.

Last edited:
Hi
Cheap FPGA Module: XuLA-200 Spartan-3A Prototyping Board with 1.2V, 200,000-gate FPGA XuLA-200 will be most cheap one.

DLP-HS-FPGA3: it is expensive but now Channel A of FT2232H is connected to FPGA.
This channel can be used for fast transfer, so don't have to place one more FTDI.
and some FIFO can be implemented in FPGA or with RAM. = very simple board

I'm just curious if the great work being done on a "simplified USB Digital converter, only usses FTDI + FIFO + DIP devices" by Koon and deanbob is now dead. If not, is the discussion elsewhere?

I'm interested in a cost-effective but good alternative to the MiniDSP USBStreamer for 8 channels. The fact that Koon has already written an ASIO driver for this hardware is pretty significant. Most XMOS alternatives to the USBStreamer seem to use a proprietary, evaluation driver that is crippled.

Hi, I'm using exaU2I www.exadevices.com > exaU2I > Overview which is 8 channel USB-FTDI-FPGA-I2S, and satisfied. exaU2I is stable and isolated.
my simple converter just shows how FTDI / FIFO / Logic / I2S works.
Also I posted small FPGA version. Anyone can modify it.

...OMG, exaU2I is discontinued? I will build mine again when my exaU2I is broken, with "DLP-2232H-SF High-Speed FPGA Module" or something like this

Writing ASIO driver interface was not difficult, only a transfer from buffer to buffer.
I have no idea why XMOS does not supply ASIO.

Hi KOON!
I am interested in your converter USB – 8xI2S. I could buy a USBStreamer, but it does not have the correct clock. I want to repeat this construction, but I want to use a chip FT2232 with additional elements instead of the module. In addition, I want to use instead of quartz 12MHz divided by 2 24MHz frequency. Is this OK? In the diagram SCH02.png drawn 2 modules, FT2232H & FT232. As I understand it, only one is needed.

Last edited: