Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Zen -> Cen -> Sen, evolution of a minimalistic IV Converter
Zen -> Cen -> Sen, evolution of a minimalistic IV Converter
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2018, 08:50 PM   #2111
bern is offline bern  Poland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I have a balanced DAC based on 4xPCM1704. Each PCM is responsible for L-, L+. R-, R+. Currently I need unbalanced from balanced signal so I use John Broskie's Unbalancer (as IVconverter).
Also I would like to try and compare IV converter build on discrete components eg (FETs).
Is there any way to adopt (SEN for example) for both halves of the signal eg L-, L+? or maybe I should use two SEN's per channel and make 'desymmetrisation' after that? If so please advice the circuit.
TIA,
bern
Old 18th July 2018, 10:00 PM   #2112
torb is offline torb  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jborden View Post
I've also found through dumb trial and error that sometimes you don't need gate stoppers and other times you do, can depend reel-reel on the factory the BF862s come from, so use stoppers always.
Old 21st July 2018, 03:39 PM   #2113
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bern View Post
Hi,
I have a balanced DAC based on 4xPCM1704. Each PCM is responsible for L-, L+. R-, R+. Currently I need unbalanced from balanced signal so I use John Broskie's Unbalancer (as IVconverter).
Also I would like to try and compare IV converter build on discrete components eg (FETs).
Is there any way to adopt (SEN for example) for both halves of the signal eg L-, L+? or maybe I should use two SEN's per channel and make 'desymmetrisation' after that? If so please advice the circuit.
TIA,
bern
IOut of PCM1704 is weak; only max 1.2mA. I thought that I could easy switch my 4xPCM1704 balanced DAC to stereo singe ended.
I can parallel input and output two PCM chips per channel to achive stronger signal (e.g. 2x 1,2mA). Then I could use standard SEN application.
But what about input impedance of SEN. Will it be suitable for parallel connected two PCM per channel?
Regards,
Old 21st July 2018, 05:07 PM   #2114
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

One SEN for each PCM1704 for balanced stereo.

Patrick
Old 21st July 2018, 05:50 PM   #2115
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUVL View Post

Patrick
Thanks, Ofcourse. But temporary I use the single ended amplifier. Maybe in the future I will have fully balanced stereo equipment.

Currently I wonder if I could use two additional PCM1704 chips somehow for stereo using IV CEN/SEN. Do you think that two PCM1704 in parallel as an input for the one SEN stereo channel is good or bad idea?
TIA,
Old 21st July 2018, 07:34 PM   #2116
diyAudio Member

Can be done.
You need to reduce R_iv by factor of 2.

Patrick
Old 21st July 2018, 08:15 PM   #2117
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Can be done.
You need to reduce R_iv by factor of 2.

Patrick
So two PCM1704 in parallel will have similar IOut as single PCM63 (about 2mA). But what about input impedance? 2xPCM in parallel will see 30 ohm impedance (assuming use of 4x2SK170in SEN)?
Old 21st July 2018, 08:25 PM   #2118
diyAudio Member

You can double the JFETs if you wish.

Patrick
Old 24th July 2018, 10:07 AM   #2119
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You can double the JFETs if you wish.

Patrick
Thanks,
To achive 36VDC power supply could I use:
10x Li-Po batteries and
Battery Protection Board ?

Can the electronics of protection board (and batteries) adversely affect the sound during listening (e.g discharging the battery)?
Old 25th July 2018, 10:40 AM   #2120
samoloko is offline samoloko  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Patrick
Patrick,

Would you please recommend a summing method for + and - signals comming after SEN to get unbalanced when used with 2 pcm1704 per channel In push pull

Zen -> Cen -> Sen, evolution of a minimalistic IV ConverterHide this!Advertise here!