Modding cheap 5.1 surround decoder from eBay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I´ve bought a fairly cheap 5.1 surround decoder on eBay. It has a separate analog outputs for SW/C, FL/FR and SL/SR. It has two optical S/PDIF inputs, one coax digital input, and an analog AUX input. A pushbutton allows to select the desired input. The casing reads “5.1 AUDIO GEAR Digital sound decoder".

As you see from the picture I´ve taken the board out of the casing. I am planning to fit the board with power supply in a larger chassis.

5948204626_3b3ff809f9_b.jpg

As for the decoding itself, the decoder seems to handle all promised digital formats well. I successfully tested it with AC3, DTS, and just stereo signals, both through the digital inputs and the analog AUX input.

Does anyone have any experience modding the board to improve sound quality? I found this HD Audio Rush 5.1 Decoder Review page by dr Lux but his box is a previous version of my decoder.

Any advice on replacing the capacitors? The board has a couple of 220uF 16V and approx 10 each of 100uF 16v/10uF 16V

5948207392_d5b076b4f1_b.jpg

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.