Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Hi Ian,

I just come across this FIFO project the passed few days, and the tons of info to sieve through really overwhelms me and I am not technically savvy.

Anyway, hope someone can answer my few newbie questions. I have just ordered one AK4490 dac board from fellow diyer Mirand Audio which has i2s CMOS level v3.3, AES and bnc inputs.

1) To build the streamer for the dac, should I order one FIFO II + XO or McFIFO + McXO board, together with one spdif board?

2) Since I have both Odroid C2 and rpi 2B boards, could I get one isolatorPi to work with the FIFO board for both SBC?

3) If I use direct wires to connect between SBC's GPIO to FIFO board, do I still need the IsolatorPi board to provide isolation, since the hat is not direct connect to the sbc?

4) Instead of above FIFO board, could I use one isolatorPi and FiFoPi and also the spdif board together to output spdif or i2s to the dac?

Last edited:
Power supply choices

I am putting together a new streamer based on Raspberry Pi (running Logitech Media Server and PiCorePlayer) -> McFIFO -> McDualXO (with Pulsar clocks)

What are the best practice power supply options to power the above 3 components in this setup?

I have seen the battery based solutions, but I would rather have something set and forget than deal with recharging of the batteries etc.

Hi, I have a problem with Fifo II and I'm very clueless and desperate

My system:
Rapsberry pi/Isopaton pi/Fifo II/Dualxo

My Fifo stopped working, when music plays (Volumio, selected generic output i2s) does not turn on LED Look (D5), only led Empty (D7) lights up.
I have tried connecting with U. FL or with Gpio to J2 and J9, it has not worked. I have two pi isolator, does not work with either of the two, nor J2 and J9 directly to Rapsberry Pi, I have tried several Rapsberry pi and Odroid C2 (selected the correct jumpers in Isolator pi).

I have asked Ian for a new Fifo II and I have the same problem, I don't understand anything. The only difference is that in the old one is always selected the entry I2s 2.

Another very strange thing is that I can not select the output "I2S" 1 or "I2s 2", jumper 1, even if you place a jumper does not select Exit 2.
Input retention is 4, 99v, so far has worked properly with that power.

Does anyone know what's going on? Is there any evidence I can do? I am very bewildered

Thanks

I am putting together a new streamer based on Raspberry Pi (running Logitech Media Server and PiCorePlayer) -> McFIFO -> McDualXO (with Pulsar clocks)

I have seen the battery based solutions, but I would rather have something set and forget than deal with recharging of the batteries etc.

Ian also has a battery management pcb for this purpose & I think he is working on a new product for this.

Personally, I like the idea of powering each item from their own battery, and it should reduce the pollution of each devices power supply by the others.

I've just bought a 6 pack of 3.7v Lipo 750maH batteries with USB charger from Amazon for under £16.
RC Drone Battery Keenstone 3.7V 750mAh 6-Pack with Lipo Battery Charger,6 Port replacement battery for Syma X5, X5C, X5SC, X5SW,JJRC H42 H23,Goolrc T32,M68R,UDI U45,and Cheerson CX-30W RC Quadcopter Drone: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games

Hi, I have a problem with Fifo II and I'm very clueless and desperate

My system:
Rapsberry pi/Isopaton pi/Fifo II/Dualxo

My Fifo stopped working, when music plays (Volumio, selected generic output i2s) does not turn on LED Look (D5), only led Empty (D7) lights up.
I have tried connecting with U. FL or with Gpio to J2 and J9, it has not worked. I have two pi isolator, does not work with either of the two, nor J2 and J9 directly to Rapsberry Pi, I have tried several Rapsberry pi and Odroid C2 (selected the correct jumpers in Isolator pi).

I have asked Ian for a new Fifo II and I have the same problem, I don't understand anything. The only difference is that in the old one is always selected the entry I2s 2.

Another very strange thing is that I can not select the output "I2S" 1 or "I2s 2", jumper 1, even if you place a jumper does not select Exit 2.
Input retention is 4, 99v, so far has worked properly with that power.

Does anyone know what's going on? Is there any evidence I can do? I am very bewildered

Thanks

Hi Jjazz,

Please no worry. If you can not switch between inputs, it should be typical no clock issue. That means the FIFO II didn't receive clock signal from the DualXO II.

Please check:
1. Power supply of Dual XO.
2. Re-connect the two cables between FIFO and clock board.
3. Confirm the two XOs on the DualXO clock board are working and have correct MCLK output. Or, use the original XOs for functional verification.

Clock signal is in the FFC/FPC cable.

Regards,
Ian

Ian also has a battery management pcb for this purpose & I think he is working on a new product for this.

Personally, I like the idea of powering each item from their own battery, and it should reduce the pollution of each devices power supply by the others.

I've just bought a 6 pack of 3.7v Lipo 750maH batteries with USB charger from Amazon for under £16.
RC Drone Battery Keenstone 3.7V 750mAh 6-Pack with Lipo Battery Charger,6 Port replacement battery for Syma X5, X5C, X5SC, X5SW,JJRC H42 H23,Goolrc T32,M68R,UDI U45,and Cheerson CX-30W RC Quadcopter Drone: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games

Thanks for the note batteryman

I have seen the Ian's new battery board that is under development now, waiting for it to become available :)

Hi Ian,

I just come across this FIFO project the passed few days, and the tons of info to sieve through really overwhelms me and I am not technically savvy.

Anyway, hope someone can answer my few newbie questions. I have just ordered one AK4490 dac board from fellow diyer Mirand Audio which has i2s CMOS level v3.3, AES and bnc inputs.

1) To build the streamer for the dac, should I order one FIFO II + XO or McFIFO + McXO board, together with one spdif board?

2) Since I have both Odroid C2 and rpi 2B boards, could I get one isolatorPi to work with the FIFO board for both SBC?

3) If I use direct wires to connect between SBC's GPIO to FIFO board, do I still need the IsolatorPi board to provide isolation, since the hat is not direct connect to the sbc?

4) Instead of above FIFO board, could I use one isolatorPi and FiFoPi and also the spdif board together to output spdif or i2s to the dac?

Ian,

I understand why my newbie questions are ignored. So I forced myself to go through most of the threads from the beginning and plus the isolatorpi threads. But still I have some questions and hope you can advice.

Since both Odroid and rpi support native dsd on usb, I am thinking to use my Singxer f-1 usb interface to output i2c to FiFo or McFiFo and also the isolator and the reclock board. The question is if I choose Fifo, I can add spdif board to output spdif to AK4490 dac, however if I choose McFiFo the board doesn't support spdif board unless driver is updated, am I right?

Secondly is it true FiFo doesn't support dsd but McFifo does? Is FiFoPi compatible with Ordroid C2 sbc?

Thank you for the reply. I know McFifo already has an isolator but what I am trying to ask is if I choose Fifo II board, it could only output DoP or Spdif with spdif board but not native dsd to external AK4490 dac? If I choose Mcfifo, it could output native dsd via i2s to AK4490 dac but the board cannot used with spdif board unless the spdif board is updated the firmware? So when will the spdif board be upgraded so that it will work with McFiFo? My new AK4490 dac can accept spdif, i2s, and dsd256.

Another thing is whether the coming FiFoPi board will work with Ordroid c2 beside rpi?

Last edited:
@lateboomer

McFifo can work with standard external spdif receiver or a new spdif board. My current spdif board was designed for FifoII, it can not be used or upgraded for McFifo.

Besides of I2S, FifoPi will support both native DSD and DoP. FifoPi can also work with Ordroid trough the IsolatorPi which has an special I2S port for Ordroid.

Regards,
Ian

My new AK4490 dac can accept spdif, i2s, and dsd256.

The AK4490 can not "unpack" DoP so your FIFO needs to output "real" DSD to it.

So the only way to get your AK4490 to play DSD is to get some source that can output DSD (through I2S lines) and the McFIFO. But if you also need s/pdif inputs you will also need to get a s/pdif receiver that can output I2S plus find a way to switch between the two I2S sources (before the McFIFO).

Hi,

Thank you very much for the info about FifoPi which I will register for GB. Could you give some example what is the "standard external spdif receiver" that can work with McFifo while I am waiting in future for your other spdif board?

Is it something like this?
CM6631A Digital interface 32 / 24Bit 192K Sound Card USB to I2S / SPDIF Coaxial Output Support Connect Decoder Upgrade DAC Sale - Banggood.com

Note:
This is my coming dac:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendor-s-bazaar/274456-ak4490-usb-dac-dsd-support-119.html#post4973622

Last edited:
Could you explain why you need spdif at all?
You can do
rpi->isolatorPi(optional)->FifoPi->(via I2S)DAC
or
odroid->isolatorPi->FifoPi->(Via I2S)DAC
and play any format (that the rpi/odroid supports) you want without the need for any other additional boards.

IF you want to play with different clocks you can get a bit more complex and do
rpi->McFifo/McDualXO->(via I2S)DAC
or
odroid->McFIfo/McDualXO->(via I2S)DAC
and still be able to play anything (that the rpi/odroid supports) you want.
No need for any spdif in the chain.

That is very good question but please bear with my poor English to explain. I had owned one Bryston Dac II before which had spdif balanced and single ended inputs. I have also some other decent dacs which use very good usb input. I had sold the Bryston Dac away to my friend, however, every time when he brings over the dac to connect with Atoll S200 cd transport which outputs balanced spdif, and output stereo to Krell amp, it beats all my computer audio setup with usb audio.

No matter my streamer is Sparky Usbridge, rpi, ordroid or intel NUC, and even my server is LPS powered motherboard like the one used in Zenith MK ll server, the spdif setup between Bryston DAC and Atoll CD transport beats them all. Also I heavily moded all the streamers with very good LPS. However, the Bryston setup is more musical with better transparency in the mid range with better resolution especially the vocal. May be because of spdif has better isolation even with higher jitter compared with usb audio, which I am not sure. But I believe what I can hear.

So I have decided to get one new dac with decent spdif input and also good usb audio input so I that I can compare them both and I want to achieve very good computer audio playback either with spdif or usb audio or i2s and can rival what I have heard from Bryston Dac setup which couples with very good cd transport and source input is balanced spdif.

Hope it is clear and my explanation makes sense.

Note:
I have one Singxer f-1 usb to spdif interface. Could I use it with rpi/Odroid and tap its i2s to the input of Mcfifo either for pcm or dsd? The interface has implemented galvanic isolation for i2s and spdif?

Last edited:
So I have decided to get one new dac with decent spdif input and also good usb audio input so I that I can compare them both and I want to achieve very good computer audio playback either with spdif or usb audio or i2s and can rival what I have heard from Bryston Dac setup which couples with very good cd transport and source input is balanced spdif.

I am also looking for audio quality over the internet to match that of my CD.

Is it even possible?

I'm not convinced a computer is a good, clean source of digital audio so I will be looking out for your updates.