Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2021, 09:36 AM   #7341
drone is offline drone  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
Native DSD only applies to USB streamer that attaches to a RPi. That's the limitation of Linux core. For GPIO, you have to use DoP.

Ian
OK. Thank you.

For DoP decoding what would be better: decode by FifoPi or Es9038pro. What are the differences?

BR
Branko
Old 16th October 2021, 01:40 PM   #7342
eduard is offline eduard  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to eduard
Hello,
So things are easy if you wanna use 3000F caps. Get them as soon as possible.
Order them before they will be in stock if you wanna be sure you will get them in a few weeks or months.
Probably this shortage will be there for some time to come and if the manufacturer can sell a complete '' badge '' of 6000 pieces to very few big guys these pieces wont end up where we usually buy them.
Of course if a new brand pops up which is sold by a reputable company like Mouser, Digikey, Conrad than this will be a nice opportunity .
Changes pretty small that you can still get a Maxwell 3000F cap which has not been made for a long time now. The only reason they are still available ( like old T Ford parts on the Americain country side!) is that the still existing demand is triggering companies to make copies I think)
Greetings, Eduard
Old 17th October 2021, 12:06 PM   #7343
SimonJ is offline SimonJ  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

@Ian after reading the Ucpure manual I don’t see any data on how to set up the 3000F caps with the balancers

We would need to be clear for the 2 cap combination and the 6 cap setup as well. Could you provide data on this as I am sure you agree it’s critical to get this correct?

Thank you
Old 17th October 2021, 12:10 PM   #7344
xtiva2000 is offline xtiva2000
diyAudio Member

Thanks so much for the information.

Ok will do some more research on power solution...

Thanks so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A123 View Post
Hi,

I'm a newbie too, but got my feet wet with some of Ian's products.

I am running the most minimalist Ian setup possible as I need both portable and desktop solutions.

As shown in the photo, I'm just running a battery direct to GPIO on a RPi 8GB with Ian's:
  1. FiFoPi Q3
  2. GPIO Terminator
  3. ShieldPi
I then stream the clocked realtime low latency source to a audibly transparent iPhone dongle via the iPhone. The iPhone dongle is highly praised on the ASR forums. This minimalist build (basically just a Q3) is all I need for a quality portable solution post-COVID.

So what you listed should be more than enough to get things rolling. But a reminder I believe you need to power the clock side with 3.3V on the Q3, so you may need to plan a power solution.

It's been a while since I thought about the architecture, so I cannot confirm on the power requirements.

What I do is I use the non-isolated GPIO pins for the non-audio related stuff like IR remote and OLED. I don't touch the isolated GPIO pins as shown in the photo as it is GPIO terminated with a ShieldPi on top.

I have no need for GPIO power 3 or Volumio so no clue how those play out. The StationPi I have not touched, but plan to work on that in October.
Old 17th October 2021, 04:07 PM   #7345
fabflix is offline fabflix  Romania
diyAudio Member

Would it be ok to use Maxwell 450F ultracaps on UcConditioner? They're available at Mouser.

Update regarding my Ian Canada stack, Sigma 11 PSU for RPI:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg streamer.jpeg (375.9 KB, 286 views)
Old 17th October 2021, 05:24 PM   #7346
eduard is offline eduard  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to eduard
Hello,
I think the diameter is just a little bit to big and the dimensions of the terminals also are different . The 300F skeleton i bought some months ago fit PERFECTLY.
You have some space available. Why you not go for a little extra F and mount the caps not on the circuit but just very close.
Because Ian released some new '' power boards '' the old ones will probably end up on swap meet here.
greetings, Eduard
Old 17th October 2021, 11:07 PM   #7347
drone is offline drone  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
@daansan

Sorry for my late replying,

1. Am I correct that when I use FifoPi I do not need IsolatorPi as FifoPi itself already provides galvanic isolation?

Correct. FifoPi has built in isolator, so no need IsolatorPi. But some one said that an IsolatorPi before FifoPi still can eliminate EMI noise more.

2. Am I correct that when I use FifoPi I do ONLY need the DOP Decoder IF the receiving DAC does need DSD instead of DOP?

Correct. But normally I always enable the FifoPi DoP decoding function. Because I'm worry about running DoP decoder inside DAC will increase DAC noise.

3. If I use a DAC that does not accept an external master clock (A Soekris DAM1941) will the FifoPi solution still work? I'm assuming the reclocking by FifoPi will make things better and leaves less margin for error to the Soekris reclocker.

Yes, FifoPi will improve overall signal quality not only mclk. Many community members confirmed that sound quality can be improved by FifoPi even without feeding mclk. But please make sure your XOs for the FifoPi are also good enough.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Regards,
Ian
Hi,

sorry for asking again: In the above post you state it is always better to do DoP decoding in FifoPi. But in post #4991 you set the FifoPI for Buffalo3pro:

"3. FifoPi switch jumper settings

Both S1.1 and S1.2 was set to “ON” position, which will
a. Enable 16 to 32 convertor
b. Use ES9038Pro internal DoP decoder"

Therefor my question is ist for the ES9038pro better to set DoP decoding to DAC-chip or FifoPi.

Regards
Branko
Old 18th October 2021, 02:36 AM   #7348
iancanada is offline iancanada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Theoretically decoding DoP in FifoPi could be a better option than decoding it inside DAC.
Because more logic operating/timing will be involved if it is done by DAC thus more digital noise can be generated inside.

FifoPi, at the other hand, will decode DoP before the isolator and re-clocking. So the advantage would be obviously.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ian
Old 18th October 2021, 02:37 AM   #7349
iancanada is offline iancanada  Canada
diyAudio Member

LifePO4 Mini 3.3V user's manual

Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buy

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LifePO4Mini3.3V.jpg (261.6 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg LifePO4Mini3.3Wbattery.jpg (229.9 KB, 243 views)
Old 18th October 2021, 08:29 AM   #7350
kunlun121 is offline kunlun121  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I remember somebody in Europe had ordered Skeleton’s ultracapacitors a couple of months ago, if I'm not wrong. How did he make it?

Ian
I had enquired specifically about the SCI3400, which apparently are new. The sales rep I had contact with suggested "For smaller quantities I would currently look at 300F, 1200F, 1800F and 3200F cells." Apparently these are available at Mouser, etc.

Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitterHide this!Advertise here!