Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Hi fusion360guy,

Would AudioLinux be a good alternative.

Has anyone any experience with this product?

Rgrds, Jan
I use audiolinux on my pc, dual boot nvme drives and gentoplayer on my raspberry pi. I like both, audiolinux is probably the better os but harder to use. Gentoplayer is really good and offers a ton of kernel options that I like for the raspberry pi but I can't get latency as low. I have 0us latency svg on audiolinux and 3us on rpi with gentoplayer. Those are stupid stupid low. The combo is unreal for sound. Can't ref enough to stop using windows or Mac and go with audiolinux pc or server side... Its like buying a new dac improvement.
Hi,
I think that to play upsampled dsd1024 with HQplayer and the best filters, you will need one of the latest intel processors and a RTX3090, not a rpi.
You may get more info on roon forums.
Use a nvidia gp100 for graphics card. Best bang for buck and powerful enough to do almost everything. The 3090 cannot do as much. The 4090 actually can't do as much either. It's because those cards are for fp16/32 processing. Hqplayer uses all fp64 or double precision. Nvidia keeps fp64 performance to it's Ai cards and the old nvidia gp100 is better than the 4090 at fp64 calculations. A 3090 will not do dsd1024 and even half the best filters or modulators. You need a pc with a 13700k i7 or newer 14th series, 32-64gb ddr5 ram, nvidia gp100 or 4090 (gp100 better price to performance), and audiolinux preferred but windows also works. Use diretta from server/pc to gentooplayer on rp4. Audiolinux and gentoplayer both support dirreta. Diretta is far better than other upnp ect.

Reactions: 1 users
I have tested the es9038 dac with the OPA861 I/V but without the FIFOpi Q7, as it gives som odd measurements. I use multitone and REW with my Cosmos ADC. With the volume at 0 dB the H3 is about -60 dB, but if I lower the volume to -3 dB the H3 drops to around -90 dB, so I think there is som kind of mismatche between the DAC and the I/V board.

Is there anybody else that have tested this combo?

Reactions: 1 user
I use audiolinux on my pc, dual boot nvme drives and gentoplayer on my raspberry pi. I like both, audiolinux is probably the better os but harder to use. Gentoplayer is really good and offers a ton of kernel options that I like for the raspberry pi but I can't get latency as low. I have 0us latency svg on audiolinux and 3us on rpi with gentoplayer. Those are stupid stupid low. The combo is unreal for sound. Can't ref enough to stop using windows or Mac and go with audiolinux pc or server side... Its like buying a new dac improvement.

Use a nvidia gp100 for graphics card. Best bang for buck and powerful enough to do almost everything. The 3090 cannot do as much. The 4090 actually can't do as much either. It's because those cards are for fp16/32 processing. Hqplayer uses all fp64 or double precision. Nvidia keeps fp64 performance to it's Ai cards and the old nvidia gp100 is better than the 4090 at fp64 calculations. A 3090 will not do dsd1024 and even half the best filters or modulators. You need a pc with a 13700k i7 or newer 14th series, 32-64gb ddr5 ram, nvidia gp100 or 4090 (gp100 better price to performance), and audiolinux preferred but windows also works. Use diretta from server/pc to gentooplayer on rp4. Audiolinux and gentoplayer both support dirreta. Diretta is far better than other upnp ect.
Hi,
Teach me please why graphic card have something to do with sound music.

Hello everyone. Hope you are all doing well.

First time poster here.

I have just embarked on building a streamer using the RPi with Ian Canada's parts. I have to give a massive shout-out to @Gabster 2000 for giving me the inspiration and courage to try this and also a huge thanks to @iancanada for his help in replying to my emails.

I am based in the UK and I have a question for my British compatriots who post on this board, please.

Question: Where are you purchasing your supercapacitors from? I've managed to get hold of a couple but the process has been way more trying than I had anticipated for the purchase of what I thought was a simple electronics component.

I first tried RS-Online (https://uk.rs-online.com). They accepted my order but then emailed me to say that they could only supply the supercapacitors to a trade account and not a personal account due to some EC regulations restricting a substance used in the supercapacitors.

I then tried mouser.co.uk which I thought was based in the UK. The order was placed with no problems but then I got emails saying I needed to complete some expert control forms and checks - what the hell ??!! I am in the UK and the Mouser site implied I was buying from a UK supplier. Turns out the supercapacitors have to be shipped from a Mouser warehouse in the USA and hence the need for Expert Controls (they even asked me if the end use was for civilian or military purposes (!!).

Where is the best place in the UK to get hold of Supercaps, please?

Wishing you all a good day

Congrats on overcoming the fear of implementing Super Caps. Ian has made it very DIY-Friendly and straightforward.

Not in the UK Mainland, but I've been at this hobby for a few years now with Ian Passive Power Supplies.

Are you sure you did not accidentally log into the Main USA Mouser website? Maybe try again, but this time double-checking you are actually logged into Mouser UK. I know I get really confused when visiting other Mouser sites, I have no clue which country site I'm browsing. Maybe clear your cookies and cache also before attempting to log into the Mouser UK.

This info is great to know because if I travel overseas, I was planning on ordering from Mouser at the 2nd home location. So I was planning on just bringing Ian's PCB's, etc. because no way I can sneak Super Caps on a civilian plane.

For my backup secondary option, I had to use Digi-Key a few times over the years:

https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/products/detail/eaton-electronics-division/XL60-2R9348T-R/10441150

https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/products/detail/eaton-electronics-division/XL60-3R0308T-R/13404671

https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/products/detail/eaton-electronics-division/XL60-2R7308T-R/5042377

You will need to double-check the part numbers because I'm out of the DIY game, so I can't remember much. Digi-Key has saved me a few times (for example I get my Hirose/Molex clock cables from them because they have a better selection), but looks like inventory is low on Super Caps. I have regrets now not getting the 3400F.

I do remember stumbling upon a few B2B (Business to Business) Super Cap websites instead of B2C (Business to Consumer) when Eaton Super Caps were not available to consumers so I completely avoided rs-online. This brings back memories of the Dark Ages when I had to scour the World Wide Web just for a hint of a new Super Capacitor. Now we have three solid options (Mouser, Digi-Key and Farnell/Newark) and a few brands, so consider us spoiled.

EDIT:

Oh, I just remembered Farnell has Eatons too. In the USA, it's Newark so it's more difficult to accidently log into the wrong site:

https://uk.farnell.com/c/passive-co...er-capacitors?st=eaton+3000f&showResults=true

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
No worries, the DIY supply chains can drive one mad...

What about this?

https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/produc...07-R/3878067?s=N4IgTCBcDaIB4DcDMBWAbABhAXQL5A

Over at Mouser, it's out of stock:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/PowerStor-Eaton/XV3560-2R7407-R?qs=A/wzytyXNHieivVN%2BYWQ9w==

That's why it's good to have options.

I was just assuming UcPure when you mention Super Caps, I forgot about the UcConditioner:

E. Getting start
1. Solder two ultra capacitors to the positions of CAP_L and CAP_H.
Recommended ultracapacitor P/Ns are:
BCAP0325 P270 S19
BCAP0450 P270 S18
BCAP0350 P270 S18
XV3560-2R7407-R
https://github.com/iancanada/Docume...cConditioner/UcConditioner3.3VUsersManual.pdf

The supply chain of Maxwells always had a wide variance. If Maxwell is not available, I'm assuming you can use this Eaton? I've only used Maxwell on UcConditioner so I had no idea that a Eaton was even available. I remember eduard using SkelCaps instead of Maxwells on his UcConditioner. I really like the aesthetics of this Eaton for my UcConditioner, but it's too late. Maybe one day.

I envy you can get free shipping from Digi-Key. I have yet to see free shipping from Mouser or Digi-Key over here.

free.png

Last edited:
Hello @Drive Shaft - many thanks for the pointers. Yes, I needed the Super Caps for a UcConditioner. All good - managed to source them from Mouser and, as you say, they shipped very quickly - on their way. Now I just need to learn all about handling and working with Super Caps safely :)

Hello,
I will have a few available after getting rid of the big lifepo4 board i hope.
But Brexit turned your country into a real island.
Greetings, Eduard
@eduard - Let's not talk about Brexit ! I'm still in denial :cry:

Reactions: 1 user