Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st October 2018, 07:50 PM   #4731
wealas is offline wealas
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateboomer View Post
This is my coming dac:
AK4490 USB Dac with dsd support.
I just looked at the DAC specs and it looks like the spdif and I2s signals are resampled by the DAC (another chip, not the ak4490). If that's the case I'm not sure how much of an impact would Ian's boards have on the quality you get.
I was going to suggest trying the Allo digione which works with an Rpi and gives you low jitter spdif output.
Old 31st October 2018, 08:03 PM   #4732
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
Some, but not equipped to do comprehensive testing. Some of the most useful testing has consisted of listening tests quickly switching between the modded dac and a Benchmark DAC-3 (on the Stereophile A+ list, and state of art measurements)
Sighted, blind or double-blind?

As an enginer and designer, I have always found the most important part of design work to be the objective verification of my designs - just like regression testing is one of the most important tools in software development.
Old 31st October 2018, 09:29 PM   #4733
Markw4 is online now Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
Sighted, blind or double-blind?
All of the above, at different times of course. I strongly believe in double blind testing, although not necessarily the Foobar ABX way.

Also use other listeners as they are available. Good to get multiple and various impressions and perceptions.
Old 31st October 2018, 09:31 PM   #4734
diyAudio Member

Quote:
All of the above, at different times of course. I strongly believe in double blind testing, although not necessarily the Foobar ABX way.
Old 31st October 2018, 09:44 PM   #4735
Markw4 is online now Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Julf, was that meant to be a comment?
Old 31st October 2018, 09:45 PM   #4736
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Julf, was that meant to be a comment?
Yes, seems the "thumbs up" didn't make it.
Old 1st November 2018, 12:50 AM   #4737
lateboomer is offline lateboomer  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wealas View Post
I just looked at the DAC specs and it looks like the spdif and I2s signals are resampled by the DAC (another chip, not the ak4490). If that's the case I'm not sure how much of an impact would Ian's boards have on the quality you get.
I was going to suggest trying the Allo digione which works with an Rpi and gives you low jitter spdif output.
It is a very good recommendation, thank you. I will also consider Allo digione signature, which claims has a better design. I think another external spdif receiver could be 502dac.
Old 9th November 2018, 08:07 AM   #4738
cspirou is offline cspirou  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Ian,

I am very interested in your McFifo and McDualXO for some multichannel applications. However I would like to use external DACs and I need to convert the I2S to SPDIF. You wouldn't happen to be working on a multichannel SPDIF output board? If not are you aware of one that would work with your boards?

Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 08:28 AM   #4739
Dimdim is offline Dimdim  Greece
diyAudio Member

IMHO converting the perfect I2S signal coming out of the McFIFO back to s/pdif would negate the FIFO's entire purpose.

The proper way to do multichannel with the McFIFO is to mount your dac boards right next to the FIFO board and use the shortest possible I2S lines to transmit the audio.

Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitterHide this!Advertise here!