Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

I have a purePi 2 for each stack. I re read the manual. To power the OPA I/V I need a dual linear pi.

Where I’m stuck is what to power the dual linear pi with? His guide recommends a toroidal to supply AC but also says you can use DC non polarity supply??? Page 4 and page 7 of linear pi dual manual. I have no ideas what to shop for. If I build the toroidal thing is there a guide somewhere.
I use 2 x 5v UcPure for mine as the best PSU Ian does - https://github.com/iancanada/Docume...citorPowerSupply/UcPure/UcPureMkIIIManual.pdf

Reactions: 1 user
So I would need two of those to get the centre tap for the OPA? And you power these UcPures at J6 with laptop power adapters?
Can I use laptop power adapters to power the Dual LinearPi's as well. It says to get 5V I need DC12V laptop supply? So I would need two of these plugged into different outlets?

Would these work for LinearPi Duo. I need to get +5 and -5 out of each one. Manual says I need 12V DC input if I use DC.
LEDMO 3 Pack LED Power Supply, Transformers,LED Adapter, 12V, 5A Max, 60 Watt Max, for LED Strip Light

I would just cut the ends off and attach to the terminal blocks on each side of the Linear Duo?

61sImtsi9JL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

So I would need two of those to get the centre tap for the OPA? And you power these UcPures at J6 with laptop power adapters?
Can I use laptop power adapters to power the Dual LinearPi's as well. It says to get 5V I need DC12V laptop supply? So I would need two of these plugged into different outlets?
Correct 2 x 5v Uc Pures tapped to give +5 & -5 volts. I power my 2 with a single transfomer with 2 sperate windings using the AC inputs but you can use 2 x laptop PSUs

I also added the ShieldPiProMkII directly above the RPi. See my streamer build from a couple of weeks ago. I also did a provisional DAC build (with Pi but was just testing the stack as I had no adapter to put receiverPi directly on PurePi. Anyway that recent build shows the MonitorPiPro and some screenshots of what it can do. Manual is not out yet, but i figured some stuff out.

Hi @iancanada , the fifopiQ7 documentation, it says
• Support I2S input/output up to 768KHz
* Support native DSD input/output up to DSD 1024
Is RPI a bottleneck here. For example I want to build a streamer where can use HQPlayer to upsampled to DSD 1024 (my desktop supports it) and then use HQP NAA software to stream it via ethernet. If I use RPi would i be able to stream DSD1024?
You are right. RPi is the bottleneck.

Ian

Back to the streamer stack while I await power boards to finish the DAC build….

IMG_8084.jpeg

I played some sound recommendations from @Gabster 2000 to test. It really sounds amazing. On the silence track there is absolutely no noise I can hear. I have a DSI screen. Doesn’t seem to impact sound. I do have a ShieldPi pro mkii. No other shielding yet.

Stack as is in picture is
1. PuriPi II
2. RPi3B with external SSD FLAC and ShairPlay enabled in Volumio.
3. ShieldPiProMkII
4. FiFoPiQ7
5. MonitorPiPro
6. TransportPi AES —> coax rca digital out —>
7. Cambridge Audio DacMagic200M - dual ESS9028Q2M —> XLR balanced
8. Focal Audio 50s professional powered monitors

I know many of you have way better amps and speakers - my room is small and this is just serendipitous.

Everything is so tight and open and clear.
When I build the DAC with dual 9038Q2M we’ll see if I can kick the DM200 butt 😂

Reactions: 2 users
You are right. RPi is the bottleneck.

Ian
@iancanada I have the Holo Red Streamer, which is a RPi based streamer. I am currently using Volumio with it. I use it as a HQPlayer NAA. It lets me stream DSD1024 from USB and DSD512 using I2S. Any ideas what they have done differently with the RPi?
Is there any other SBS that your components support that would let me do DSD 5212/1024?

It looks like they have written a custom Linux kernel to do this. See below from website. It should be possible to install new kernel to Volumio distribution as Volumio is based on open source and Linux kernel is open source. If redos release their kernel source it would be feasible.

DSD Native Support notice: Red can support up to DSD512 and PCM768K by I2S. USB is limited by linux kernel and also support DSD512 and PCM768K right now we are working on a new kernel that should support DSD1024 and PCM1536K in future release. It actually does work very well on most setups now, it’s just being improved in future releases. Works well with RedOS, and also RopieeeXL.

Cool. What does the molex white plug on the toroid plug into ? 120v. How do you keep it safe. Where is the fuse?
It’s 240v in the Uk here and what you see is not at all done. It will all be fused and correct are wired right. That connector is where the 240v AC is applied. I suggest you stay safe and use laptop PSUs to power the UcPures

Got it @iancanada much appreciated. Quick follow up question - What does the ReceiverPi DDC replace in this stack - PurePi > RPi4 > BridgePi + Amanaro > FifoPi > HdmiPi Pro? I have a Denafrips Pontus II DAC and I prefer to use I2S input on the DAC and ideally get native DSD512 / PCM 384Khz playback. Let me know if ReceiverPi DDC will better suit my needs. Thank you!
Hi @iancanada I'd appreciate your response on this. Will ReceiverPi DDC essentially replace the need to have a BridgePi + Amanero, and have the ability to capture/process DSD512 natively over GPIO?

PurePi II has just been released.

Upgraded over PurePi:
1. SYNC charge function
2. Support USB-C PD
3. No longer block SD card
4. Also works for Pi free applications

https://twitter.com/iancanadaTT

PurePiII

SYNC
This seems like a super slick power solution. What would the battery life be if one were to stream all day (using the FifoPiQ7)? Assuming a >2A power supply, how fast are the batteries replenished during breaks in the music? Just trying to determine if battery power is the way to go for my usage pattern.

Cheers,
Soren

hello all, wanted to show my new build, so far in 3d, few parts I still have to draw. :) ...
I still have to finish the outside of the case, I have extended it to the back, which is why the pattern does not fit properly on the side panels.
some other parts I still need to make (MonitorPi ect)..on the renderings you can see the IVSTD MKII output stage module...but have the OPA861 stage; still need to draw this

PalaniAcoustic_11inch_2023-Sep-03_05-28-06PM-000_CustomizedView6076875513.png

PalaniAcoustic_11inch_2023-Sep-03_05-26-33PM-000_CustomizedView11106680166.png

PalaniAcoustic_11inch_2023-Sep-03_05-30-36PM-000_CustomizedView18374278440.png

PalaniAcoustic_11inch_2023-Sep-03_05-19-59PM-000_CustomizedView5455153786.png

PalaniAcoustic_11inch v16.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users