Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2018, 03:16 AM   #4581
iancanada is offline iancanada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Greg is looking for this one, the first version of DualXoClock board. Unfortunately I don't have any left :

Click the image to open in full size.
DualXOclockBoard
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Stewart View Post
I need one of these for a DAC project where Ian's original Dual Clock board will fit the layout, but his later one will not.

Anyone have one they won't use?

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. I've already asked Ian and he doesn't have any left.
Old 2nd February 2018, 07:04 AM   #4582
Hanze Khronye is offline Hanze Khronye  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Stewart View Post
I need one of these for a DAC project where Ian's original Dual Clock board will fit the layout, but his later one will not.

Anyone have one they won't use?

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. I've already asked Ian and he doesn't have any left.
Would Ians Single XO board suit?
Old 2nd February 2018, 02:49 PM   #4583
clsidxxl is offline clsidxxl  France
diyAudio Member

Greg i have one left if you want.
Old 3rd February 2018, 05:27 PM   #4584
Greg Stewart is offline Greg Stewart  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks all who've replied here. Since I originally posted on this, I've gotten several responses via PM and have purchased 1 and am considering another.

Sorry my comment of 'Acquired' was so cryptic, I was trying to convey that I had purchased one.

BTW, the reason I need an original Dual Clock board is I've got a couple of projects started where I'm using a smaller case than most setups using the FIFO. I've got the FIFO components stacked very nicely with the FIFO on the top, the clock board on the bottom, and the isolator board between. The mounting holes for the various DAC boards have them nestled right against the FIFO for very short I2S lines... and for Twisted Pear DAC boards, I cut out a portion of the outer frame of Ian's 1st generation clock boards to allow them to mount right up against the active clock board.

I already had 1 original Dual Clock board and an Si570 board, but I've decided I want to go with clocks as good as I can afford and that makes a 2nd Dual Clock board a better choice. AND while most of my source is ripped CDs, I have a number of file downloads in various sampling rates, which is why I need a Dual Clock board, not the original Single Clock board (of which I have 2-3, if anyone needs one, BTW).

Again, THANKS EVERYONE!

Greg in Mississippi
Old 4th February 2018, 06:30 PM   #4585
szczemirek is offline szczemirek  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Ian,
Dual clock, FIFO, isolator in home and in place.
Sound very, very good!
Thank you!
Old 6th February 2018, 01:39 AM   #4586
gvl is offline gvl  United States
diyAudio Member

Can the FIFO board support a not quite I2S but similar 16-bit serial protocol such as that expected by the DF1700 digital filter on its input?
Old 6th February 2018, 06:51 PM   #4587
xaled is offline xaled
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvl View Post
Can the FIFO board support a not quite I2S but similar 16-bit serial protocol such as that expected by the DF1700 digital filter on its input?
You might need the i2s-pcm board from Ian.
Old 6th February 2018, 07:32 PM   #4588
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaled View Post
You might need the i2s-pcm board from Ian.
Potentially, but I wanted to understand if it is possible to just use the FIFO board in front of the digital filter with minimal effort and cost. I realize it is best to get rid of the DF completely and OS in software but I might be interested in keeping my DAC's operation more or less stock while getting at least some benefit from FIFO reclocking downstream of the SPDIF receiver/upstream of the DF, this would allow me to continue use it with traditional SPDIF sources for one.
Old 7th February 2018, 09:20 PM   #4589
xaled is offline xaled
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvl View Post
Potentially, but I wanted to understand if it is possible to just use the FIFO board in front of the digital filter with minimal effort and cost.
I overlooked the input requirement.
New multichannel FIFO has an extension port for future multichannel PCM input board. The extension board is not yet available so maybe Ian can take a stereo PCM input as an option in to consideration.
Old 7th February 2018, 09:57 PM   #4590
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaled View Post
I overlooked the input requirement.
New multichannel FIFO has an extension port for future multichannel PCM input board. The extension board is not yet available so maybe Ian can take a stereo PCM input as an option in to consideration.
Well, just make sure we are on the same page and while I don't know how much it is of interest to others or how difficult it is to implement, but it would be cool if the FIFO board could also accept MSB-first left/right-justified serial formats, as well as provided flexibility to choose between the same formats on its output. It could also be used as a jitter-killing converter between those serial formats and I2S in any combination. For example:

YM3623 -rj-> FIFO -rj-> DF1700 -> PCM63
rj - MSB-first, right justified

Or better yet, and perhaps this is what you mean by the "stereo PCM input", allow the FIFO board to be able to understand what Ian calls the "PCM" format on its input, so that the FIFO + I2StoPCM can be put downstream of the digital filter in front of the vintage DAC chips such as PCM63. For example:

YM3623 -rj-> DF1700 -pcm-> FIFO/I2StoPCM -pcm-> PCM63

The motivation for this is an easy upgrade path for vintage DACs, as not everyone wants to run them in NOS mode with external oversampling.

Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitterHide this!Advertise here!