Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Yes, the Buff clock is 100MHz CCHD-950.
But then reading the newer DualXO double rate manual it seems as FIFO+XO-board with 45.1584/49.1520 MHz crystals in sync mode seems to be the way to go (since then i would cover all the way from 44.1/48 to 352/384). I'll have to read more about this.
So the reason Buff uses 100MHz clock, must be to cover all samplerates in Async mode, for flexibility that is.

Last edited:
Actually the datasheet recommends >192*FS for OSF Normal mode. (NB greater than and NOT equal to/greater than).

So 45/49 is only good up to 192kHz.

This is at least part of the reason why Ian has gone to great effort for the Si570 as a way of providing the faster clock frequencies!

Chris

Last edited:
So then for me who will use alot fo sample-rates and both SPDIF/I2S the best way to use this would be to have my Amanero and a SPDIF->I2S board, connect through a 2:1 switch like Twisted pear OTTO-2, and then into the FIFO, through the XO-board to my DAC.

Actually Ian's Spdif->i2s board has an i2s 'back door' that means you can provide your i2s from amanero through this i2s input on the spdif board and cycle through inputs on that board without any drama of having extra multiplexor boards. Unless you have more than one i2s input? Check the zip file for Ian's spdif manual for instructions. :)

Chris

This is a common misconception. The OSF and synchronous clocking are two separate issues.

Then how do you explain that I'm able to play PCM 384Khz FS with my BIII connected synchronous with SDtrans384?
I have an dual clock board made by myself based on CCHD957 45.1584 MHz and 49.152 MHz placed on BIII DAC. The clock selection is made remotely by SDtrans

Last edited:
Actually Ian's Spdif->i2s board has an i2s 'back door' that means you can provide your i2s from amanero through this i2s input on the spdif board and cycle through inputs on that board without any drama of having extra multiplexor boards. Unless you have more than one i2s input? Check the zip file for Ian's spdif manual for instructions. :)

Chris

This would be the best way to run it, but the problem for me is that i probably won't have enough room in my case (DAC will be together with my tube-linestage, w. AMB R-2R volume, input selector, PSU's and everything), so ian's SPDIF board will not fit the case, if it was smaller (like if the outputs were removed, and connectors were offboard) then it would work. I'll probably have to go for TP-4:1 MUX together with OTTO-2. If there isn't any other good alternatives out there.

Robert

Then how do you explain that I'm able to play PCM 384Khz FS with my BIII connected synchronous with SDtrans384?
I have an dual clock board made by myself based on CCHD957 45.1584 MHz and 49.152 MHz placed on BIII DAC. The clock selection is made remotely by SDtrans

ES9012/8 OSF is ON unless explicitly set to OFF by the DAC controller, refer to page 17 of the datasheet.

The datasheet clock recommendations are just that, recommendations for optimal performance, just because they work doesn't mean that the DAC chip is going to perform at its best. Ian has commented (see quote below) in his Si570 reviews earlier that there is differences between 44.1kHz at 45.1584MHz vs 90.xxxxMHz. He would not at the time comment which was his preference, just that they were subjectively different.

4. Another discovery is, ESS9081 sounds different for a same 44.1 KHz stream with different MCLK frequencies, for example 45.1584MHz and 90.3168MHz. Hard to tell which one is better, but the sound style is a bit different indeed. I know it’s the internal up-sampling digital filter, different performance for different MCLK.

Cheers,
Chris

This would be the best way to run it, but the problem for me is that i probably won't have enough room in my case (DAC will be together with my tube-linestage, w. AMB R-2R volume, input selector, PSU's and everything), so ian's SPDIF board will not fit the case, if it was smaller (like if the outputs were removed, and connectors were offboard) then it would work. I'll probably have to go for TP-4:1 MUX together with OTTO-2. If there isn't any other good alternatives out there.

Robert

I know the pain of DAC case layout when trying to fit all these boards together!!! I believe qusp is moving to a separate enclosure for PSUs. I've had enough hassles myself and I have a v-out dac (ES9023) so no IV stage and less than half the PSUs, though I do have 2 (compact) line buffers and 5 or 6 regulators.

I would really suggest rethinking the layout and enclosure selection to try to fit Ian's spdif board in there though if at all possible, it really is an excellent solution though I have no need for it myself (only one usb input on my dac).

Have a look at AR2's case layout earlier in this thread for ideas, it is really neat and he fully recommends the spdif board of Ian's.

Cheers,
Chris

Joined 2009
Paid Member
FIFO with Red Baron DAC

Hello Ian,

after more and more questions from members who build my Red Baron DAC and how to connect your FIFO kit to the I2S input of it, now i had the time to read the whole thread.

1st a big applause and Chapeau to your outstanding project! :worship:

My own setup looks like this:

iMac/Pure Music/ALAC files --USB--> modified Teralink X2 --I2S--> 2x Red Baron with TDA1541A S1 double crown in parallel NOS mod. --> Tube-I-zator SRPP output stage

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I would like to use your S/PDIF interface board. The I2S backdoor would be connected to the Teradak I2S, witch should be no problem.

If i would like to use all sampling freq. from 44.1kHz up to 96kHz (X2 maximum) or 192 kHz (Wave I/O), i think it would be the best to use your SI570 Clock board with the isolating board.

Because i have Salas LV Shunt´s in my project, i would use two to power the FIFO and the Clock board.

I am not sure, if your I2S-PCM board brings any advantages in my setup.

Did you have any other recommendations for me, or did i forget anything?

Best regards,
Oliver
:wave:

Oliver,

Did you have a chance to read through Ian's I2S to PCM board thread also? I think it would be worthwhile (and much shorter than this thread). Daughter board thread is here - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...1541-fifo-universal-i2s-pcm-driver-board.html

Here is a quote from Regal from that thread regarding the TDA1541 DAC that might be applicable to your DAC design:

For average NOS single chip TDA1541A build you wouldn't need this daughter board since the TDA1541 accepts 64fs blck i2S.

But for the high end NOS tda1541A it would be usefull for dual differential simultaneous mode using the offset binary. Some really fantastic measurements have been shown that dual differential TDA1541A helps cancel some of the TDA1541's tendancy to have extra 2H (see Tazz's threads.) Using thing daughter board rather than discrete work-arounds could prove very useful, ie. it really helps with the output stage. Dual differential mode done right (potentially with this daughter board) also takes you closer to an S2 grade tda1541 as far as measurements go.

The more I think about it I think we will all be crying for a dual differential simultanious offset binary mode for the TDA1541A, so might want to include it now.

Chris

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Oliver,

Did you have a chance to read through Ian's I2S to PCM board thread also? I think it would be worthwhile (and much shorter than this thread). Daughter board thread is here - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...1541-fifo-universal-i2s-pcm-driver-board.html

Here is a quote from Regal from that thread regarding the TDA1541 DAC that might be applicable to your DAC design:

Chris

Hi Chris,

thank´s for the advice. I will hold the I2S/PCM board in mind, because i use not the dual differential simultaneous mode ;)

Cheers,
Oliver

Joined 2009
Paid Member
could be used for direct synchronous DEM reclocking as well perhaps? aah thats right I already asked that Q. TDA is grey area for me

Hmm... The DEM-Reclock circuit from -ecdesigns- on my DAC is fed by the BCK. It has a small modification (12K+Schottky diodes).
This results in better synchronization. It also provides best perceived sound quality.

The BCK signal we have also from the FIFO...:rolleyes:

Hmm... The DEM-Reclock circuit from -ecdesigns- on my DAC is fed by the BCK. It has a small modification (12K+Schottky diodes).
This results in better synchronization. It also provides best perceived sound quality.

The BCK signal we have also from the FIFO...:rolleyes:

yes, but he also played with oversampled DEM and different rates of freerunning DEM adjusted by capacitor values, easier to play with with software/firmware settings than logic and discrete circuits. it is a new way of thinking, stuff that would normally take quite some prototyping and trial error can be experimented with quickly enough to make real subjective comparisons without relying on audio memory.

this will be what Thorsten does, being a lover of FPGAs

Joined 2009
Paid Member
yes, but he also played with oversampled DEM and different rates of freerunning DEM adjusted by capacitor values, easier to play with with software/firmware settings than logic and discrete circuits. it is a new way of thinking, stuff that would normally take quite some prototyping and trial error can be experimented with quickly enough to make real subjective comparisons without relying on audio memory.

this will be what Thorsten does, being a lover of FPGAs

That´s true. I never touched again the DEM-Reclock circuit, because the sound result is awesome. But let´s see what fun the FIFO brings ;)

Need help with new crystek cchd957,

First of all, many thanks to Ian for this great product.. huge improvement to my system, im using a shigaclone for transport and without the fifo, the shigaclone sounds muddy. All i can say is that , the fifo withe generic xo greatly improved my system.

Now i installed the crystek clocks using the adapters, and it doesnt work anymore. output led and lock led on the spdif boards does not light up. If i install back the generic clocks, they work again..
Is there something that i have missed on the instructions?

Will post pics soon..

Thanks guys