Hifimediy direct out cs4398 DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,

I have been using mine for some time, and it's great!!

I use COAX input, in NOS mode (Eg, with SRC module removed and jumpers installed)

But just recently I have tried feeding it 192Khz (via COAX) for the first time,, but this little DAC doenst seem to like it :-(

The LED on the input selector flashes/flickers.. Audio output is crackled and distorted.. Seems like the DAC cant "lock" on to the signal..??

From what I know,, this DAC should be able to receive 192KHz via COAX in NOS mode??

Thanks..
CM

24/192

Hi MurphyUHF10.

This got me thinking. I stream 24/192 from my Squeezbox Touch - but through the optical input. And the sound i really great.
But I experienced problem in pre-Christmas times - and it was when I changed to Coax for the input from Touch. Hmmm....
Makes me wonder if the Coax-input is not so good for 24/192 format-files and Redbook should go here.
And one should use optical for higher-bits files??
Wonder if someone from Hifimediy have a clue.....

I have been keeping straight to Coax for 16/44.1 and Optical for 24/48,24/96 and 24/192 since mine was running well again. And now it is SO nice and fully-funcional. A dream maskine!!

Best

Olav

Sorry-sorry

Hi MurphyUHF10!

Too early morning here... It is the other way round - I stream higher resolution files through the Coax - and keep 16/44.1 through the optical. It has been running like that for some time now - very stable!!:)
And it is also streaming 24/192 from the Touch(if touch don`t down-sample the files-and as the squeez-forum says it isn`t!) - the Coax should function with higher rates!

Best - and sorry for my wrong-info earlier!

Olav

Olav,

The Squeexebox touch by default, only supports up to 24/96.. Your 192 tracks are probably not 192, or, are being sampled down to 96 by the sbt.. But in standard form, it is only a 24/96 device I'm sure..

When you install the "EDO app" on the sbt, then it will output streams up to 192, via coax and USB,,, but not for Optical.. Actually, I think the bandwidth of Optical is limited and cannot go up to 192 by its very nature..

CM

Even more...

Hi again..

Yea - I found it now on the forum - my touch only strams 24/96. I have not installed the EDO mode. But I have so many DSD-files(from my Sony SCD-XE800) and other high-resolution files from Bowers&Wilkins, Linn, 2l etc, AND have found them more or less not always much better than Redbook. The best is 24/96 - but it depends more on the way it is recorded and how the prosess has been done. So some 16/44.1 can be nearly as good as 24/96 if the recordings is well executed!

So clearly - your 24/192 should be good for our Direct-Dac

Best
Olav

My bad...

Sorry MurphyUHF10

According to the info on hifimediy-site, the directdac(Cirrus Logic CS4398) should accept 24/192 on both the SPDIF and Coax.
So we have to direct the question to the staff at hifimediy for an answer - it can be an issue for other members that use this very good dac!
I`m mostly satisfied with 24/96 - as I don`tplay that many classical music. After trying and reading a lot about this - this is my conclusion(same as div. others).
But maybe I will try it later myself.

And maybe Steinar or someone else could give a clue to MurphyUHF10?

Best
Olav

Hi Zog,

I think the cable should be fine, It's a nice 75 ohm coax..

To be more exact, my files are either 16/44.1 or 24/96, upsampled to 192 by my Audio GD re-clocker (DI-DSP).. When the DI is set to output 96 or NOS (no upsample) the DAC plays them fine.. But when I set the DI to output 192, the DAC doesnt like it??

Ta
CM

Some options....

Hi zog666!

Something to try with my 24/192 files? Either get me a USB - Spdif/Coax converter to try if I can get my nearly perfect dac to play these - or to install the EDO upgrade on my SBT?

I will see - when I return from my offshore-turn 8 of February(but then my family has booked me to London for 11-15 feb!)

So I must try it in late februar or mars 2013. But my 24/96 files are perfect. They say that 24/192 is like a photo with many pixels, it is overcrowded and soft with details. The 24/96 is not so many pixels, so it gives a better view and more distinct layering of the musical scene.:hypno2:
They say.... so we must not let us be blinded here....
but i will try it when time permits it!

Best
Olav

Hi zog666!

They say that 24/192 is like a photo with many pixels, it is overcrowded and soft with details. The 24/96 is not so many pixels, so it gives a better view and more distinct layering of the musical scene.:hypno2:
They say.... so we must not let us be blinded here....
but i will try it when time permits it!

Best
Olav

As a photographer I take exception to this, more pixels in a photo is always going to give you better results (everything else being equal).

But you don't gain so much by high pixel numbers greatly in excess of the what the lens can resolve, and I suspect the same goes regarding original signal quality in audio as well.

Rgds,
Rob.

Hi Zog,

I think the cable should be fine, It's a nice 75 ohm coax..

To be more exact, my files are either 16/44.1 or 24/96, upsampled to 192 by my Audio GD re-clocker (DI-DSP).. When the DI is set to output 96 or NOS (no upsample) the DAC plays them fine.. But when I set the DI to output 192, the DAC doesnt like it??

Ta
CM

I just tracked down some 192khz/24bit files to test with.. mine didnt play them either.
Using the same software, PC and cable, I plugged in my older Hifimediy DAA1853 DAC and it played them back fine.
This is with optical spdif, connected to the spdif out of the onboard intel ALC892 (intel motherboard).
I haven't adjusted anything on the DAC since I got it, as it has sounded great how it is, and and haven't installed the SRC module - havent opened the unit to see if there is anything to configure on there.

I just tracked down some 192khz/24bit files to test with.. mine didnt play them either.

Hmm,, interesting..?? Thanks Zog for posting that..

From I've read on their website this DAC is supposed to play 192..
I was thinking maybe the up-sampling from the re-clocker was causing the issue?? I'll need to find an actual file that's 192 and test with that.

Was your 192 file re-sampled by your device or software,, or natively 192..??

Another theory might be that the SRC module can accept up to 192,, but not in NOS mode..??

Anyway, hopefully HiFimeDIY himself will chime in with some clarification??

Ta
CM

Last edited:
Hmm,, interesting..?? Thanks Zog for posting that..

From I've read on their website this DAC is supposed to play 192..
I was thinking maybe the up-sampling from the re-clocker was causing the issue?? I'll need to find an actual file that's 192 and test with that.

Was your 192 file re-sampled by your device or software,, or natively 192..??
Not resampled. I dont often play back higher resolution files, but when I do I bypass the linux "pulseaudio" layer (which does resample), and run the sound player accessing the ALSA device directly (Linux sound driver). I can then query the driver directly to see what mode its in, and it reported 192khz.. well not when I was testing just then, but I have used the same method before and confirmed it works.
Another theory might be that the SRC module can accept up to 192,, but not in NOS mode..??
I haven't even tried the SRC module yet anyway! I should plug it in.

Background noise?

I am hearing a kind of "shhhhhh' sound from the speakers when my amp volume is turned up high. The sound is not audible during playback, but whenever there is silence and I take my ear near the speaker cone, I can hear the noise. I have changed the source (different PC), but the noise still remains. Same amp(s) with different DAC (Xonar Soundcard) do not have the noise. So I am guessing that this has got something to do with the DAC or how I have set it up?

Hello,

I have some questions about this very interesting dac:

- CS4398 chip has a internal digital volume feature. The volume can be controlled through a I2C (by using a microcontroller, for example). Has someone explored this feature? Are the communication pins on the chip available for an outboard microcontroller?
Of course, by using this feature, one could have a digital preamplifier (4 inputs + a volume control) with a "passive preamplifier" on the output (just a trafo or a cap).

- About the transformer, I have read many people suggesting it, but nobody posted schematics on that (at least in this thread, about CS4398). What configuration is better? (single ended in-balanced out, etc)
What ratio? (1:1, 1:2, etc)

Thanks,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.