XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

@ Laszlo: I delayed your answer because I got latest driver from Thesycon but it seems they have a problem with DFU support (they chance it a bit in their software)! I still have to speak with them and solve that issue together!

If you're not using DFU then I can give you a copy of it but since it's not the version I like most, I'll not be held responsible!
In fact I'll give you both variants to play with! :radar:
@ Raj1: please let me solve this driver issue and then I'll answer to your request!

@ Laszlo: I delayed your answer because I got latest driver from Thesycon but it seems they have a problem with DFU support (they chance it a bit in their software)! I still have to speak with them and solve that issue together!

If you're not using DFU then I can give you a copy of it but since it's not the version I like most, I'll not be held responsible!
In fact I'll give you both variants to play with! :radar:
@ Raj1: please let me solve this driver issue and then I'll answer to your request!

Thanks, Lorien.

@ Laszlo: you got email with latest drivers!

If there's anyone else wishing to test Thesycon's v4.80.0 for WaveIO please let me know! You'll need to have/own a WaveIO board to do this as those drivers are locked for this board!
It seems in their latest driver version, Thesycon changed the DFU implementation (read = optimize) but it seems is not 100% fine tuned. ASIO seems to be stable but a couple of beta testers would help them (and me / and you) to make that product a better one!

:wave:
Lucian

just plug in your WaveIO directly to any free USB port of your PC and this trouble should disappear! When done you can go back and plug in your WaveIO to SMS200 Ultra.
Finally got round to doing this and success, latest firmware and drivers installed as long as we discount the beta 4.80 for nw[emoji3].
Would offer to help with beta testing but just no time to get involved at present.
One problem I have with the dsd playback is a background hiss clearly audible during playback. Something to do with the set up in Eunhasu or Roon I think but cant get to the bottom of it.
Also have a loud thump through speakers when first starting up and changing inputs on Najda and when first starting playback. Only happens right at the start and not afterwards.
KR
Keith

@ Laszlo: you got email with latest drivers!

If there's anyone else wishing to test Thesycon's v4.80.0 for WaveIO please let me know! You'll need to have/own a WaveIO board to do this as those drivers are locked for this board!
It seems in their latest driver version, Thesycon changed the DFU implementation (read = optimize) but it seems is not 100% fine tuned. ASIO seems to be stable but a couple of beta testers would help them (and me / and you) to make that product a better one!

:wave:
Lucian

Thanks Lucian!
Merry Christmas! ��

Last edited:
Finally got round to doing this and success, latest firmware and drivers installed as long as we discount the beta 4.80 for nw[emoji3].
Would offer to help with beta testing but just no time to get involved at present.
One problem I have with the dsd playback is a background hiss clearly audible during playback. Something to do with the set up in Eunhasu or Roon I think but cant get to the bottom of it.
Also have a loud thump through speakers when first starting up and changing inputs on Najda and when first starting playback. Only happens right at the start and not afterwards.
KR
Keith

On devices like this, hiss from DSD usually implies the wrong filter is being applied for the sample rate.

DSD clicks and pops are to be expected unless you have some kind of mute feature active during startup.

The goal is to get classic equipment in and out of the workshop as QUICKLY as possible!!

So let's set up a scenario in which a USB to I2S adapter (you pick your fave) were dropped into a classic CD player.

Now, if one were to do that would (should) one disconnect the native I2S lines (traces) from the chip before (e.g., decoder or oversampling DF)?
Or could one simply tap the three I2S pins on the DAC or DF chips?

USB to I2S to SAA7220

The goal is to get classic equipment in and out of the workshop as QUICKLY as possible!!
I'm surprised no one has taken up this challenge.
Indeed, even the folks at I2S over USB Audio - Home note that their adapter can't connect to an SAA7220 because of its relationship to the decoder chip (SAA7210).
Given the HUGE market potential -- millions of classic Philips CDPs out there, still in good shape and with their "acclaimed" multi-bit sound -- it's surprising that a drop-in solution (or a suitable hack) does not exists.
Yes, the SAA7220 sounds good when paired with the TDA1541, and deserves to the left in.

@ hollowman: I'll consider next time when I'll improve the WaveIO board! It the best I can do in actual circumstances! I'm sorry if I can't do more for now!

Any chance of DSD 512 support? This is one of my favorite USB to i2S interfaces, but I really need DSD 512 to take full advantage of my latest setup. It is worthwhile to have support.
@ Raj1: I'm in process of adapting the actual hardware to support DSD 512 as you wish! I hope it's possible! :nod:

Windows drivers: it seemed that v4.80.0 drivers from Thesycon had some compatibility issues with XMOS DFU firmware but now all are fixed in v.4.82.0 release so later is available now.

Kind regards,
L