XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

The idea is to keep the short return paths since the digital I2S signals are 'fast' ones and I remember clearly that return path for these kind of signals is closest to their related "hot" wire. If you'll force them to take a bigger route just to avoid ground loops then it is possible to degrade their integrity (increase overshoots and ringing).
If you really want to keep a short path while avoid ground loops then I do recommend you to try out some stitching caps. of 100nF or so placed in series with the short ground path. Look here at page 10 and you will see what I mean.
Cheers,
L

Is it better to use a separate PSU if the DAC already has its own dedicated PSU?

Ever since I bought my first WaveIO in 2011, I have connected them to the DAC via the WaveIO's isolator chip using the DAC's +5v line. This called for a lead about 120mm long between the DAC and the isolator chip.

I don't know why recent attempts to connect the two directly via u.fl connectors failed but suspect an earthing issue given that the two devices have separate Uptone Audio LPS-1s set to 7v with LT3045 Vregs mounted as close as possible to the load. (The Meanwell SMPSs that drive the LPS-1s are connected to the mains via isolating transformers.)

On a whim, I recently tried fitting a 5v LDOvr LT3045-based Vreg directly to the isolator chip via short (10-15mm) leads and connecting the Vreg to the DAC's "raw" PS via carefully screened leads. In short, I now have one 5v Vreg for the DAC and another for the isolator chip.

The result was a very marked improvement in sound quality, more "transparent", better bass, all the usual stuff. In short, I don't think the isolator chip needs its own PS but it does greatly benefit from its own Vreg. A significant upgrade for an insignificant cost. Lorien is right.

Again, dammit.

HTH

D

Hi

After a long search for an "better" DAC i landed at Gustard A20H. I use this DAC over usb. Triggered from an other threat i try the first time a purifier (ifi nano iUSB 3.0)..first sound checks are promising...will see.

now my question:
can i expect a better SQ over an USB to I2S converter into my DAC ??
If yes which board or complete interface can you prvide me?

thanks you in advance
chris

Chermann, in your case, owning a DAC with presumably well designed Xmos implementation and outfitted with possibly very good clocks, there is not much to be gained.

Hi Weissi

i am very sorry for my nooby statements but i start since 1 year with diy....and with my mod of UD301 very nooby :rolleyes::D

as i read mor here in the digital line level i get more and more hungry for some future modifications (teac UD301) ;)

Thank you for your positiv statement to my DAC which i got in 01/2017. after a journey of aune 16, Brooklyn, RME + Mutec 3...etc;)

chris

Last edited:
Can't get DSD playing with WaveIO V6.C7 firmware + 4.14 driver. Foobar is playing but no sound from my Buffalo DAC (SACD, DSD proxy, foo_dsd and all that installed). Tried Jriver but when set to bitstream output DSD a lound "white" noise is played.
If anyone used some sort of guide of how to setup players which worked and can share a link i'd be thankfull!

It's not basic question at all since it's entirely my fault as long as the infos on this matter is thin, at best! Sorry about that!

First of all, drivers are (still) not freely available ... for now.
I can give you a PM with latest version if you want!
As for infos on how to upload a new firmware, link to the document is here. It's for a different board but the process is the same for WaveIO.
Default firmware is here while the updated one (for DSD) is here.

I hope it helps,
Lucian

Hello again Keith,
you do not need a specific software to open the .bin files! As you can see from the attached .pdf file, all you'll need is this:
1. remove the old driver form your PC or any other type of driver made by Thesycon.

2. install the latest driver pack I gave you
3. plug in your WaveIO and wait to be detected! If not then a restart may be required!
4. After your WaveIO is seen by your PC then you have download the .bin file using the link I gave you for the DSD option.
5. run "Revert_Factory.cmd" to make some room in Flash memory for the new firmware

6. Open "Audiokit WaveIO DFU" software and navigate to the bin you want to have in your WaveIO.
7. give it a run and wait to finish
8. done

Finally had a bit of free time to try this.
Have installed the 4.67 drivers.
However, when I open the firmware upgrade window or the WaveIO control panel there is no device found. I have unplugged then replugged the usb cable but it does not find the device. My laptop is connected to the WaveIO via ethernet and SMS200 Ultra and then usb. The SMS operating system Eunhasu sees the WaveIO and music plays even though the WaveIO control panel finds no device so I can't upgrade the drivers.
KR
Keith.