XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

Hi All

I’ve been using Lucian’s waveIO now for a number of years and whist I’ve tried other cards I still keep coming back to my trusty Wave board.

Just love its rich ‘’analogue’’ sound.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/188902-xmos-based-asynchronous-usb-i2s-interface-19.html

Time flies when you are having fun and my DAC has changed to a Buffalo3/Legato.

After reading the tweak of removing U11 I did get to the stage of lifting the lid with small screwdriver in hand but just could not butcher my old friend that way.

So I decided that it may be time to buy another.

I asked Lucian if he could supply the new board without U11 fitted which he did and also sent me a new pre-programmed EEPROM memory chip to allow the old board to be upgraded.

One thing that truly impressed me was that he remembered who I was after all of the time that has passed. Mr Memory.

The new board is up to the usual immaculate soldering and cleanliness.

Ok I’ve had the chance to compare the boards back to back with interesting results.

The new board definitely sounds more open.spacious and 3D in its presentation. It sounds fresher and more real to my ears and in my set up.

Quite a nice step forward IMHO and one hard not to notice.:D

Thanks again for the nice board Lucian.

Shoom heard what I heard. WaveIO keeps getting better.

Interesting you have the ability to do a comparison test to go back to the early vintage to confirm it is not your audio imagination. When it improves we quickly adapt and the new sound becomes standard. Interesting to go back and see how much of a difference it makes.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
we quickly adapt and the new sound becomes standard

Shoom heard what I heard. WaveIO keeps getting better.

Interesting you have the ability to do a comparison test to go back to the early vintage to confirm it is not your audio imagination. When it improves we quickly adapt and the new sound becomes standard. Interesting to go back and see how much of a difference it makes.

How true!
On a different note, I recently compared wi-fi to an ethernet cable connection to pipe ripped cds and internet streamed music to a lap top, Trashiba Satellite L775 Intel I3 which connects to the WaveIO/TP Sabre Buffalo 32-II via a 12ft. usb cable.
The ethernet cable gives a more fluid analog like presentation. Instruments harmonic overtones are revealed which are missing/diminished using wi-fi.

WaveIO>Buffalo 32-II>Legato III>PASS F5 clone>SEAS Thor

add: I believe this is why one day the sys sounds good and the next can be pffttt! The wi-fi probably has interferences that interfere with transmission on different days / times. YMMV

Last edited:
It is a winner

If you need a USB to I2S converter, this is the one. Really great sound and great service from Lorian the designer/builder/service dpt. You will not be disappointed. Expect some weeks delay in delivery as these are hand assembled but worth the wait.

The discussion about removing an IC is that if you have no need for SPIFD then it can be disabled to squeeze out the last drop of performance.

If you need a USB to I2S converter, this is the one. Really great sound and great service from Lorian the designer/builder/service dpt. You will not be disappointed. Expect some weeks delay in delivery as these are hand assembled but worth the wait.

Thanks for that.

I'm in the process of buying one.:D

Seems such a waste on a TDA1541 or TDA1543 though it should be the perfect companion for it haha.

Last edited:
Hello,

Can anyone confirm that the WaveIO with firmware updated to 6.60 and using drivers 2.23 or 2.24 with Win 8.1/Foobar actually works with Native DSD? I have no trouble playing uncompressed WAV rips, just native DSD is not working (silence). I've contacted Lucian off board and he is aware of the issue I am having, just wanted to see if I am alone in this. The WaveIO is connected to a Buffalo IIISE using the J2 (non-isolated) connections. The WaveIO has it's own linear supply (5.25V/3A). As I mentioned, it's working great with CD quality material (WAV) but nothing from DSD (DFF/DSF).

Thanks for any input

Nick

Last edited:
Hello Nick,
I saw your messages, both of them, but here things could end up in a huge mess if are not solved in appropriate manner! :confused:
Regarding to your 'quest', I just test a randomly chosen board and saw the DSD streams as should be (with my scope).
Sadly I'm not home to plug it into my test DAC and hear music but you can try it on your side!
What I did:
1. I downloaded latest Foobar version from here (v1.3.6).
2. Install over what I had before (v1.3.3 or so)
3. Uploaded 6.6.0 into this test WaveIO board I have near me (see first post of this thread).
4. open Foobar and do the following:
a) File => Preferences => Output and choose ASIO: foo_dsd_asio (you must install it first - google it)
b) File => Preferences => Output => ASIO and double click on 'foo_dsd_asio'
c) In the new opened window @ ASIO driver choose "WaveIO ASIO driver" and under it @ DSD Playback Method: "ASIO Native".
To "DSD to DSD" and "PCM to DSD" options leave: None.
Close it.
d) Tick "Use 64-bit ASIO drivers" - I don't know if there are any changes by using this option so you can disable it later.
e) click OK.
f) File => Preferences => Tools => SACD pick "DSD" at ASIO Driver Mode (and PCM samplerate to 176400). Click OK.
I use the test files for DSD64 and DSD128 from here (2l.no).

I hope I didn't forget anything!
L

Last edited:
Hi Lucian,

thanks so much for testing this. I have the exact configuration you have described but I get nothing:mad:. What I will do next is to uninstall everything and start fresh. Maybe it is something as simple as a bad driver install. I will report back when that is done.

thanks again,

Nick

Hmm... I forgot to mention that my PC is running Windows 7 SP1 x64 and I do use driver version 2.23.
I'll try to install Windows 8.1 when I get some free time and pray not to smash my laptop in the process as I really hate the user interface of this new OS.
Cheers,
L

Edit: I remember it was hard for me to make it work too! It took me one day to adapt that firmware for WaveIO and make it work in Foobar! A lot of my patience has gone ! I don't know if there are any other settings on Foobar besides those listed above... This happened in summer and wasn't a very pleased day to remember!

Last edited:
Hi Lucian,

I removed everything from the system (Foobar, all Foobar drivers/components, all drivers for WaveIO). Started from the beginning again except for the firmware update to 6.60 as it reports correctly (should be ok yes?). I can report that there was no change at all :mad: for DSD output. Also, I tried drivers 2.24 and they behave the same as 2.23. For now I have left 2.24 in.

Nick

Well, I tried to install Win 8.1 last night and it ended up badly! I had two other OSes on my PC but at some time I couldn't boot up any of them... I don't know but for some reason (I guess my hate for win 8 is carrying the guilt!) at the end of installation, I get an error saying that Windows cannot modify the boot configuration (if I remember right) and that was all! From that point I'm trying to recover my system as it was before this "beautiful" experience!
Anyway, even if I have to format all my HDDs, I'll move on and see if "my" Win 8.1 does act like yours! From this moment forward, the Win 8.1 'deal' become a personal thing!