XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

Connectors for WaveIO Pin Headers

To get my recently purchased WaveIO board operational, I would appreciate some help regarding suitable connectors. Lucian already provided a link to Farnell for getting the mini BNC cables. What connectors have you people used for

a) the 5x2 pin header of the isolated I2S (preferably with wires attached)?
b) the 5x2 pin header for the LED's?
c) a 2x1 pin header and connector (with wires attached) for the SPDIF output? Or have you installed a mini BNC there or soldered the SPDIF wires directly to the board?

Preferably from Farnell, so I can combine everything in one order. Thanks a lot for your help.

Hi Javin5,

a) the 5x2 pin header of the isolated I2S (preferably with wires attached)?
b) the 5x2 pin header for the LED's?
c) a 2x1 pin header and connector (with wires attached) for the SPDIF output? Or have you installed a mini BNC there or soldered the SPDIF wires directly to the board?

I'm using Dupont connectors with crimp cables for a and b, you can find it on Ebay or amazon.

Search : Dupont Assortment 5x 2p 4p 6p 8p 16p 2x2p 2x4p 2x5p 2x8p 2x10p + Crimp Cablex200

It is recommanded that I2S connexion should not exceed few centimeters, but I'm using 20 cm without any problems with isolated i2S out.

Hi,

Is there hearable difference between the non isolated but sota uf-l connector (my DACS TO COME HAS UF-L connectors) and the isolated one without UF-L connectors ?

Dont' know if I am in the right place to ask that (sorry if not:eek:) :

Is there a way to buy it with a little reduction for the DIYA fellows at Luckit commercial website ? :)

Is there an upgraded pcb to come (without the IC U11 chip or is it possible to buy a pcb without it ?)

thanks in advance

Is there a way to buy it with a little reduction for the DIYA fellows at Luckit commercial website ?
AHsJFJhC1JVdTiwNFHjIzQRYghQooATggIBTTTRlyNVL0Z4COQLoGuCnQgAduFxBEWgoDaMibGzFWSPmU4csj+wM1PKj1okIIUjp6WEESB+BGGKhQHUrj5U6CaosGTVmjgxZfDhtogIpxgAJAgBgmZTpC5kNAxkcmaIq1B1PgSotWCgQzyIagHx4afCnFZqFdF5IKWCKgGENQxAxKdGi1yBCpWrMCCDCAC0TAdrsuGRDyAcYFIJ0QSDAAIIEiQBEYpWEh5JXTySZAQBmxYADD8KQaOQCTi8cXFZ5cGRBDYRUZd6AuiFnIIhOW1QQucCBFxJMLM7QFTgiioNZheYuAgwIADs=
Just PM me and I'll see how I can convince the guy behind the WaveIO project to accept a "little reduction". It is in my power to even hit him with something to get the idea faster :D
Is there an upgraded pcb to come (without the IC U11 chip or is it possible to buy a pcb without it ?)
Whatever option you like most: each choice can be achievable. I ... pardon... the guy behind WaveIO could source you that U11 or forget about it.
Kind regards,
L

Last edited:
Oups, didn't see a brand new and major revision is going to be launched... I will put my name on the waiting list for this one !

@t fellows : may someone explain what is the daughter board please...

Has someone tested the Wave i/o on a Synology NAS usb output (Linux based but don't know the ditrib behind...) ? I plan to do this to supress a SB Duet and its spidf output... but still use Logitech server which is embeded in a Synology package (and use a simple smartphone as remote controll !)

thanks in advance

regards, Eldam

Sound quality improves with new firmware

I have a rev 3.32 is there any SQ improvements on the newer Revs?

I recently upgraded my WaveIO from one of the very early versions right up to the beta DSD firmware on the support site. Yes this did require replacing the EEPROM as I was pre 0x0331 (Hex).

I am happy and surprised that the sound quality took a little step forward with this new firmware. Somewhere along the way the software has improved. I always seek the lowest sound floor, where you can hear micro details that reveal sound stage and air around instruments. My system now has more of that with the new firmware even using 44.1 redbook source.

WaveIO continues to improve like fine wine. I can't say where in its lifecycle it improved as I went to the last chapter and skipped the plot changes.

Now the fine print. Your mileage my vary. Like the big cable debates, these subtle changes are due to very low level information that your system may not be capable of resolving or year ears may not hear. If you don't, then no issue. You will be happy as you were before. I do hear it and am pleased with the results so please don't tell I'm nuts, I'll only go back to my happy enjoyment of my system with thanks to Lorian.

I recently upgraded my WaveIO from one of the very early versions right up to the beta DSD firmware on the support site. Yes this did require replacing the EEPROM as I was pre 0x0331 (Hex).

Did you have to send your early WaveIO back to Lucian for the EPROM upgrade, or did he send it to you to replace it locally? I ask because my partner can do SMD rework, and I also have a early revision board (just before the 384KHz capable ones, but still with the newer NDK clocks--not the early Fox xPressos).

I did buy a newer board as well, but would like to update the old one (and at the same time pull off the S/PDIF chip of one of them.

So please let me know how you managed the update. Or perhaps you just sent it back to Romania.
Thanks.

Did you notice any SQ differences between the old and new board?

Yes, but very subtle, even in my very revealing system (rest of my DAC is PCM1704K, many excellent power supplies, and a "discrete-opamp" FET I/V output stage. Some of the difference could even be just break-in and thermal stabilization. I have been happy with the newer board, especially since it can go to 352.8/384!

Did you have to send your early WaveIO back to Lucian for the EPROM upgrade, ...?

So please let me know how you managed the update. Or perhaps you just sent it back to Romania.
Thanks.

I arranged to have the Chip sent to me. I removed the old one and installed the new one. I committed to myself that if I destroyed my WaveIO, I would happily buy a new one. With a little care, the operation was not difficult. Hardest part was removing the old chip without damaging adjacent parts or the PCB. Whole thing was done in less than 30 mins. I did not even remove the WaveIO from the DAC case. All done in situ.

I arranged to have the Chip sent to me. I removed the old one and installed the new one. I committed to myself that if I destroyed my WaveIO, I would happily buy a new one. With a little care, the operation was not difficult. Hardest part was removing the old chip without damaging adjacent parts or the PCB. Whole thing was done in less than 30 mins. I did not even remove the WaveIO from the DAC case. All done in situ.

That's great, thanks. As mentioned, my associate is able to do SMD rework, so that should be no problem. I will e-mail Lucian about getting the new EPROM.

Hi Lorien, thanks for getting back to me. My hardware setup is as follows:

USB out > Waveio (using I2S) > Ian's FIFO board > Buffalo IIISE

The software chain is:
Windows server 2012 > JRiver v19 set to Asio out (JPLAY driver) > JPlay using Kernel streaming > waveio drivers 2.23.

Everything works perfectly using firmware 3.33 - ie I can select Kernel streaming into waveio and sound is great. However on the test firmware the option to select kernel streaming is not available and no sound ;-(.

Hope this helps,
Crom

Hi Lorien, did you have any thoughts as to why I have problems when I update to latest firmware?

Cheers,
Crom

@crom

Do you use an usb cable without the 5V connection?

For me the test firmware only works when 5V is connected between computer and waveio.
Firmware 3.33 works also without this connection. I use an external 5V PSU.

aha...jptz you may have something there. My USB has the 5v connection taped off. I will change this and report back! Thank you very much for the idea.