XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

Hey, maybe this has been answered before, but,
Does the board support communication "backwards"?
I mean is it possible with this board to send i2s signals from a board through the wave board to pc? (for a microphone recording application)
How is the wave recognized under windows? as USB HID?
Hello! WaveIO is designed to feed DACs thus does support one way communication in Master mode. Unfortunately there's no I2S input that you can use on this board.

Hi Lucian
Any news about daughter board ? Specifications at least ?
Jean-Louis
Unfortunately no for the moment Jean-Louis because I would rather prefer to finish the product before disclosure any technical details about it... I learn it the hard way :nownow:

Attachments

• XMOS.jpg
    XMOS.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 671
Hi Lorien.
Your card works with the old cs4396?
I would like to use on I2S input of the NothStar 192 DAC
thanks
I saw the corresponding datasheet here and at figure 21 (page 25) I can see the I2S format accepted by this DAC chip ... which is the same as the one sourced by WaveIO you just need to be sure to convince this DAC chip to accept I2S formats. This can be done by properly select the voltage levels of pins M0 > M4 (please see page 22).

@vulejov: I'm really sorry but I cannot help you here! I'm only able to source drivers for this board:

Attachments

• USBtoI2S_top.jpg
    USBtoI2S_top.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 871
WaveIO still works

While doing some experimentations with cleaning up windows services and making a lean mean machine I disabled Windows Audio service and Windows Audio Endpoint Builder service. Guess what? Audio through WaveIO still works. I am running JRiver Center 18 on a dedicated Windows 7 based PC.

I cannot tell the difference in audio quality as to me it seems same with or without audio services disabled.

Lorien and other members! what are your opinions on this matter?

I cannot tell the difference in audio quality as to me it seems same with or without audio services disabled.

Lorien and other members! what are your opinions on this matter?

I gave this a try yesterday, disabled Windows audio & Windows audio end point services. I'm using foobar2000 v1.3.1. . To me the difference was audibly better, much more relaxed and detailed. Windows seems to alter the bitstream for worse.

I'd now like to use this permanently but none of my other application seem to be able to make direct use of the WaveIO driver.

@Lorien, any suggestions on how to make the WaveIO driver directly accessible for applications like VLC and a webbrower etc..?

Last edited:
I wrote some batch files to help me optimise windows 7 if they are of any interest:

https://gist.github.com/Cromm/5531193
https://gist.github.com/Cromm/5531196

I now use windows server 2012 as it sounds better - strange but true...
Wow - that's a fine piece of work and very generous of you to share it with us.

Was a bit confused in that your post says that it was written for optimising Windows 7, but the batch file itself looks like you were optimising Windows 8?

Like you, I use Windows Server 2012 R2 (audio stack is the same as in Windows 8.1) and it is clearly the best Windows OS for audio yet.

Would your batch files be dangerous/inapplicable/not optimised for WS2012R2? Or are you developing the same strategy for optimising WS2012R2?

Thanks again

Jonathan