XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

Hi Lucian,

i recieved your card and i´m impressed from build and much more from sound quality.

i compared it via spdif output of my mac running puremusic feeding a 1794 dac with mills ww as i-v conversion amplified with a Allen wright rtp3 and actual poweramps ala alens 300b amp but with e84l in triode mode driving my altec 605B with professional x-over.

much faster detailed open relaxed and aggressive when the musicc requests this and more rhythm and room information.

i expect more improvement from i2s connection and from external power supply

thanks alot for this product and your work.
btw (where is the hot end of the spdif output-i assume its the pin spdif labeled-correct?)

Hello guys I managed to set sound of Linux to work properly with WaveIO.
Only problem for me is that I get occasional cracks, clicks etc in HP when changing source of sound - only at the beginning. What do you have to set to eliminate this? I tried with buffer size and I still get it. My asound.conf looks like that (DAC gets max 96 and Im testing different buffer sizes):

defaults.pcm.rate_converter "samplerate_best"

pcm.dmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
ipc_key_add_uid false
ipc_perm 0666 # mixing for all users
slave {
pcm "hw:1,0"
period_time 0
period_size 1024
buffer_size 16192
rate 96000
format S32_LE
}
bindings {
0 0
1 1
}
}

pcm.dsp0 {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.default {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

ctl.mixer0 {
type hw
card 1
}

pcm.!surround51 {
type vdownmix
slave.pcm "default"
}

pcm.!surround40 {
type vdownmix
slave.pcm "default"
}

defaults.ctl.card 1
defaults.pcm.card 1

Thanks!

BTW do you realize that audio signal from PC is much stronger than from traditional CD player etc? I havent found any explanation on website why it happens. I got demanding Hifimans headphones and from my computer system I can listen very loud on low potentiometer settings from my headamp. Signal output from DAC is low, about 1,5V, no matter what system, drivers, converters I was using - its always the same.
Do you agree that audio signal from PC is stronger? Why?

BTW do you realize that audio signal from PC is much stronger than from traditional CD player etc? I havent found any explanation on website why it happens.
Do you agree that audio signal from PC is stronger? Why?

I would think that if you follow the audio chain, the bits coming off the source dictate a certain volume regardless of whether it comes from the CD or the HD.

Nothing changes volume up to the point of output of the DAC chip. At that stage there are always one or many gain stages before the output you see going into your headphone amp. It is the gain at that stage that point that will determine your effect you are seeing.

I started with a cd player. Ripped out all the post dac processing and put in I/V to tubes. Then ripped out all the pre dac and put in WaveIO and a computer source. Same bits. Same dac chip. Sound keeps getting better as we use more and more of the original bits on the redbook format with less and less of the jitter.

The audio signal is potentially stronger, because the very premise of a cdplayer is to use as many bits as it can but not get upset if it drops some along the chain to the dac chip. What's left approximates the sound recorded on the cd. I have taken an old cd with a few scratches, and played it on a good cdp. Then take the same cd and rip it using EAC getting all the bits and burn a new CDR. A/B listening of the same material on the same CDP is night and day better with the fresh copy. The CDP simply gets more of the bits in real time to the dac. Substituting a clean PC audio source and WaveIO has the same impact. Results in fuller, rounder more transparent sound that was always there. Like looking at a 10mega pixel photo vs a thumbnail.
So there are 2 factors at work in your observation.. more bits and the output gain stage... IMHO

I measured signal output from dac at 1kHz and its 1.5V so its not the case. I tried different systems, different converters and its always the same. Signal from PC is stronger than from any other source. Im using right now demanding Hifiman headphones which play loud at low headamp volumes which IMO isnt natural - it shouldnt be such loud on these levels. I remember I played Beyers DT 880 at 9 o clock from headamp and when visited friend with nonPC setup potentiometer went much higher to get similiar sound volume.
So its not signal output from DAC or specified converter or wrong set system. Im still searching an answer as this is very interesting.

To be not OT definetely I sent WaveIO to some forum user in my country. He has nice system with Sabre DAC, CD Pro2, DIY speaker on Accuton and Fountek. He said he never heard better converter and was surprised how good it was comparing to CD, especially witj external PS and I2S connection. He just ordered 2:)

I think I could set Linux for only 44.1/16 but maybe Im wrong. I doubt thats the reason but every hint for solution is welcome.
Generally speaking first rule is that anyone who plays from PC-converter can compare to traditional transport agreed that signal from PC is stronger and louder. Thats the way of searching solution. I have friend who confirms that differences exist. On the other hand I dont want to make OT of Lucians topic as he makes great device! cheers.

Hi Lucian,

I have been using your card first without external PS and already liked it a lot, but powering it externally reveals the quality of your card even more. I don't think I have ever heard any digital source sounding that - non-digital. Great products and support - thank you very much!

Wolfram

Thank you dubai2000! I'll mark your card as delivered!

I have an announcement to make:
As from now on (10-Sept-2012) all the WaveIO cards will be dispatched with Device Firmware Upgrade (DFU) enabled to allow users to make future firmware upgrades using USB protocol and Windows OSes. There are few changes on sight including iPad compatibility (lindamar will help me here) and others that I will be made public after positive results on tests :)
There will be some hardware add-ons which will work with WaveIO but all of these upgrades/updates will be made after all are finished. For now hardware is still in development.
Cheers,
L

Please do not worry if your board is outdated or not as the worst thing it could happen is to wait some time for shipping back and forth to you. Remember that these updates/upgrades are not ready yet! Anyway, these changes are made for ALL the WaveIO users, including you, otherwise I could easily design a new board and forget about the actual owners :) At the proper time I will let you know to send your card back to me to make the proper mods. We will speak about it through PMs.
I2S: if your host is quietly enough (battery powered) I suggest to choose non-isolated I2S output port but the most important choice will be the one that you'll like it most. My advice: experiment first...
Cheers,
L

Last edited:
Hi
In my setup i use non isolated I2S outputs and very happy with. I did connect all the U.FL's cable shields to ground in sidecar. Early in this thread someone teste both outputs and stated that isolated was better. As changing for isolated outputs means another power supply (probably battery) and rewiring (U.FL conections don't like that). Is there anyone that did the test both, but optimizing the USB source with an USB to PCI card. Can this solve the problems from PC and USB bus sharing noise?
Regards

I have an announcement to make:
As from now on (10-Sept-2012) all the WaveIO cards will be dispatched with Device Firmware Upgrade (DFU) enabled to allow users to make future firmware upgrades using USB protocol and Windows OSes. There are few changes on sight including iPad compatibility (lindamar will help me here) and others that I will be made public after positive results on tests
Cheers,
L

Hi Lorien

Sounds great news, making it more future proof! I presume my board has not yet been sent & so will contain the change? I am much looking forward to receiving it to use with my DEQX-based Tikandi loudspeaker system, having heard this system recently with the very expensive Berkeley Alpha S/SDIF converter & so become dissatisfied with all other less expensive converters I have tried - Audiophilleo, Halide, Hiface etc.

Cheers
Rod

Hello Lorien

What is the output voltage of J9 Header for the LEDs, Host Active and Audio Streaming?

I want to read this outputs using Arduino so I can show the sample rates and other info on an lcd display.

EDIT:Btw, I got my WaveIO from the post office this morning. When I finish my build i'll post some pictures! Thanks!

Last edited: