XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

Hi Lorien.

I'm wondering if you have decided to work on a multichannel interface??

EXA is still the only one on the market that I'm aware of.

For me such an interface, especially with XMOS & generic (Linux) driver support would be great to have. ( That's the reason why I don't go for the exa device)

I guess there many applications for such an interface.

Obviously an 8 channel Sabre implementation (e.g. Buf III) would be the perfect match.

Thx.

Hi Lorien.

For me such an interface, especially with XMOS & generic (Linux) driver support would be great to have. ( That's the reason why I don't go for the exa device)

Obviously an 8 channel Sabre implementation (e.g. Buf III) would be the perfect match.

Thx.

I'd expect multichannel will pick up soon, not sure if Lorien has time for designing or not ... I would love to see a multichannel waveIO! From the outside it seems he's snowed under with work to keep up with the existing WaveIO devices though!!

There is now an xmos multichannel reference design so there might be a few more products on the market based around that soon. I think minidsp has released one recently based on that reference design too but its built down to a price a bit too much and not got the same level of quality as Lorien's stereo WaveIO.

Last edited:
One more comment to the mutichannel device ( assuming there'll be a Wav-io device one day, I'd like to clarify one thing beforehand):

The current implementations (EXA/MiniDSP)- as far as I can see - allow for connecting the device to a single DAC with multiple I2S channels (just 1 MCLK and 1 SCLK + 8 data channels on the output header). That would meet the specs of e.g. the 8-channel Buffallo III. And that's probably about it.

If I have multiple DAC devices I'd need to somehow split the MCLK/SCLK. How would that be done??

Cheers

If I have multiple DAC devices I'd need to somehow split the MCLK/SCLK. How would that be done??

This is an interesting question and one that also applies if you are connecting dual mono dacs to any i2s source with only one i2s output. I know this has come up in Ian's i2s FIFO thread and a few others around the place. There is no really neat way to do it other than to wire in parallel with roughly equal wire lengths for carrying the i2s signals. I'd certainly be interested in hearing other alternative options too!

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Actually a little skew between the clocks to the different DAC's won't affect anything as long as you meet the setup time requirements of the DAC chip and even a few feet (nS) would not affect that unless your timing is way too tight (invert the clock to fix that). There are several good clock fan out buffer chips that can easily meet the needs of an audio clock. If you can hear a few nanoseconds shift on one channel of your surround system you probably are not human.

There are several good clock fan out buffer chips that can easily meet the needs of an audio clock. If you can hear a few nanoseconds shift on one channel of your surround system you probably are not human.

I've just seen that koon had put together something like that. He is using the EXA feeding three of his full digital amps.

Won't do a MC74HCU04 do to duplicate the clock output: it is an IC with six inverters, so two can be used for each channel, acting as a buffer. I have it in a low jitter clock circuit, so it cannot be too bad (regarding latency, jitter). Power supply is important.
The fanout of the IC should be OK for each three extra ports. Each output is buffered and low impedance.
my :2c:

Won't do a MC74HCU04 do to duplicate the clock output: it is an IC with six inverters, so two can be used for each channel, acting as a buffer. I have it in a low jitter clock circuit, so it cannot be too bad (regarding latency, jitter). Power supply is important.
The fanout of the IC should be OK for each three extra ports. Each output is buffered and low impedance.
my :2c:

THX.
Would you connect lrclk, bclk etc. to multiple inputs in parallel?

Hi Lorien.

Thx.
Unfortunately multichannel WaveIO will have to wait for some time as I have plans to add few enhancements to this one. As hochopeper beautifully wrote: "From the outside it seems he's snowed under with work to keep up with the existing WaveIO devices though!!" there's nothing but the truth (lack of time). Even so, it's summer and I'm planning to do other things besides electronics :cheers:

Hi Lucien,
Could you please send me the price and shipping cost for Russia?
Thanks
You'll have PM in few moments, thank you!

Kind regards,
Lucian

hi lucian, i just received the board today and what a fantastic quality it is! nevermind the sound qulaity since im still a long way from figuring out how to work this thing, but just looking at the board makes me feel something. beauty? it is indeed a work of art. the most beautifully built board i have ever seen.

thank you :D

love the sound of this thing. i already sold my audiogd dsp in favor of waveio. the transparency is simply unmatched.

i'm using spdf for the moment (sorry lucian!) until my 1543 board arrives. i'm sure i'll have heaps of question then about i2s connections but for as for now...

has anyone tried hooking waveio up to an android tablet? android 4.1 supposedly got updated with usb dac support.