XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

For what its worth I'm about to hook super reg ssr01 to isolator +V and run waveio from usb power for first test run. DAC build isn't complete but starting with a WM8741 in stereo, dual mono waiting for rest of the audio chain to be tested and operational.

After things are confirmed working and tweaked I am hoping to test properly terminated u.fl with LT1085 supply to WaveIO to isolated i2s output with low noise supply to isolator.

Last edited:
Driver update

Hello guys,
I want to let you know that there's a driver update for WaveIO card available here. It was released by Thesycon/XMOS last week. After some time testing it I've notice that few issues were solved with this release. Please feel free to test your WaveIOs with it.
Kind regards,
L

Last edited:
matching problem with discrete dac from diyparadise

I match it with the discrete dac from diyparadise malaysia.
It works but there is a constant low level distortion with soft music . the distortion is absent in between tracks or on pause.
I am using window 7 in a fanless ATOM based pc and Foobar .
The digital isolator is powered at 3.5 V via a salas shunt regulator that was proven to work well in another Tenor based converter.
Any idea what the cause ?
thanks

kp93300

Attachments

• 2012-05-03_23-48-53.jpg
    2012-05-03_23-48-53.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 550
@ PET-240: yes, drivers are for Windows OSes.

@ kp93300: Try to use external Power supply: 5V @ 0.6mA minimum (please do not cross 5.8V limit). For this you'll have to connect the external PSU to J13 screw-type connector and switch the jumper on J12 pin header from "USB" to "EXT" position (check the back side of your WaveIO card for Silk screen text).
Please let us know if there's any improvement,
L

Last edited:
Hello guys,
I want to let you know that there's a driver update for WaveIO card available here. It was released by Thesycon/XMOS last week. After some time testing it I've notice that few issues were solved with this release. Please feel free to test your WaveIOs with it.
Kind regards,
L
I'm already using it without any problem. :) (it has solved a problem with sample rate leds)

why not remove all the on board connectors just direct connection between solder and wire...aren't that suppose to be the 'ultimate connection' either for coax or isolated output...!!!!
who told you that? its fallacy. the coax connectors are a controlled impedance, soldering wires directly is anything but controlled impedance. impedance at these speeds relates to the distance and material between signal and ground, the coax connectors allow this to be constant

Latency tests

I have now tested thesycon DPC latency on five different platforms running XP. Two to three hundred micro-seconds is the range for any platform with a processor clock greater than one gigahertz. Multiprocessor and multicore make little difference and there appears to be no queueing at 192k sample rate. All tests run with usb 2 adapters.

I have found a couple of peripherals, one mouse, and one touch pad, that are capable of causing logjams in deferred procesure calls of more than two milliseconds. These were simple to identify using DPCLAT. The mouse, when wiggled rapidly side to side, would allow me to cause short buffer underflows but the music restarted immediately thereafter and no other issues resulted.

The only problems encountered were the result of third party ASIO apps and a third party ASIO plug-in, but those are known issues. The D510MO performs slightly better than my 2.8GHz quadcore despite running only a dualcore at half the clock. At US$64 it was also MUCH cheaper :D

who told you that? its fallacy. the coax connectors are a controlled impedance, soldering wires directly is anything but controlled impedance. impedance at these speeds relates to the distance and material between signal and ground, the coax connectors allow this to be constant

I read a lot about signal transfer subject and most comments suggest better without any interference in between such as additional connectors. Please enlighten me with this confusion :confused:

To Lorien

Is it sufficient to run external PSU with voltage slightly lower that 5V....my shunt regulator stays at 4.93V when running with a fix resistor. I works well with a other 5V ICs but...who knows....!

Last edited:
High frequency electrical impulse effectively behaves in a similar fashion to light.

When light travels from one medium to a medium of different optical density there is a certain amount reflected back into the 'sending' medium.

This reflection can then confuse subsequent signals in the line.

Matched impedance interfaces effectively allow the signal to pass through a medium of constant impedance or optical density and minimise signal reflection. This also can impact things like rise time on a square wave I believe.

Further reading on antenna theory, impedance matching etc will help here.

Last edited:
Is it sufficient to run external PSU with voltage slightly lower that 5V....my shunt regulator stays at 4.93V when running with a fix resistor. I works well with a other 5V ICs but...who knows....!
There will be no problem! 0.07V isn't a 'huge' difference :) Just make sure that the currents will be enough for the card to work properly (0.5A min). One side note: it will be nice for you to keep the voltage below 5.8 V otherwise you could see smoke from the back side of your card :)
Kind regards,
Lucian

Transfer of what signal: digital or analogue? Entirely different situations. If you are able to control reflections, connectors are probably optional for digital as well but greatly simplify things.

Yep. I should specify between digital and analogue at this situation...thanks for the reminder.

There will be no problem! 0.07V isn't a 'huge' difference :) Just make sure that the currents will be enough for the card to work properly (0.5A min). One side note: it will be nice for you to keep the voltage below 5.8 V otherwise you could see smoke from the back side of your card :)
Kind regards,
Lucian

Thanks Lucian for the advice. I'm too naive to go that far !

If one reads Russ White's most recent comments on the subject, he has noted that he really likes using the ESS 9018 with synchronous clocking, and he has noted that Dustin agrees.
It may be that in dialing in his own XMOS USB receiver, Russ has achieved low enough jitter to get synchronous mode sounding really good.
My experience is that the real issue here is not jitter per se:
Most DACs which use ASRCs do so because the ASRC does reduce measured jitter artifacts at the analog outputs (this is how Benchmark, and bel canto can get good measured jitter specs using adaptive USB).
The problem is, that the ASRC comletely resamples the data by complex mathematics, all the original samples are discarded and replaced with the new interpolations (unlike the integer based oversampling which occurs in the DAC chip itself, which preserves the original smaples). Additionally, the commonly used parts for ASRC are limited in processing power (unlike sophisticated SRC programs like Izotope, which use more complex math to achieve better results) and must operate in real time during playback. My opinion, is that the ASRCs used in many DACs, are simply not up to the challenge, and by their conversion, add significant (non musical) artifacts not present in the original data.
So, if one can provide a very low jitter data stream to the DAC, it is advantageous to use synchronous clocking, to avoid the problems caused by the ASRC, since we no longer need to "reduce" jitter at the DAC, as it is already very, very low.

To get back on topic: this is one reason why low jitter interfaces, like Lorien's, are so important: we can have low jitter at the DAC, without having to use "jitter reduction" techniques which cause other damage to the sound.

QFT.