XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

Hello guys,
thanks for the trouble you took in answering my posts. I can tell you that the issue with I2S is solved. It was due to a partially activated relay all 3 I2S lines were not connected with the DAC. I now can stream music but the dac loses lock constantly. I suspect HF radiation, airborne and transported via cabling, is the reason the dac is losing lock. I plan to do a decoupling of all power lines locally by means a few capacitors.
Hope this helps.

Hi Lorien,
What part do you need pictures of?
The problem with losing lock is not a problem of the WaveIIO board. I can see the card is constantly streaming data without losing lock.
It would be nice if you could help me with isolating the locking issue,but i also realise it is very difficult to diagnose something from a distance. The people at Twisted Pear are very helpful and do all they can to help me out.
Let me know which pictures you want, Lucian
Kind regards,
Henri

Lorien's board is not to blame for losing lock.
Look at the mess that works perfectly for me ATM.
NEVER lost lock.

Attachments

• 2012-04-05 22.00.05.jpg
    2012-04-05 22.00.05.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 863
Anyone with experience with MPD?

I am trying to configure MPD. New to Unix, this is a journey.

Can anyone describe the ALSA setting to describe WaveIO in /etc/mpd.conf?

I have gotten to the point that MPD starts, GMPC client connects and plays, but no sound. Running on LUbuntu on a laptop to gain experience before attempting Voyage MPD.

all suggestions welcome.
Walter

Is mpd the first program you've tried to use for output with the waveio under linux?

I haven't used mpd before, have looked at it and will try once my waveIO is in my hands, and rest of subsequent stages are completed.

The first place to start will likely be /etc/asound.conf and use commands such as the two below (especially aplay -l initially) to confirm success/troubleshoot the asound.conf configuration. I haven't used a debian based distribution (incl ubuntu and its variants) but I can't see any of the above being distro-specific in any way.

aplay -l [should list sound devices in your computer from memory]

and

speaker-test [I can't remember the syntax for the options to use here, last time I used it was 12months+ ago and was for testing hdmi config]

Another to check is alsamixer to check that alsa has not muted the output that you are using (this happens far more often than you would logically expect)

Edit: Also, @Lorien, I think my waveio was posted a while ago, how long should it typically take to get to Aus?

Last edited:
Edit: Also, @Lorien, I think my waveio was posted a while ago, how long should it typically take to get to Aus?
It seems that is waiting for you to pick it up! I've sent you PM with tracking details. Regarding the WaveIO' delivery... there's a "gap" in EMS database of 14-16 days for all the parcels to Australia. No one knows where it is in this period of time. At first I thought it's a problem but lately I found this to be the "not so speedy" side of EMS service. Anyway it's better than nothing!

Cheers,
L

Edit: @nullstring: you have PM, Thank you!

Last edited:
Where is this at?

Hey Lorien,

Just been through this thread and am a bit confused, as a thought, on the front page, could you add a section that tells where this is at, user manual, what OS's it works with etc, I have both windows and Mac, played with Linux, and I am confused somewhat as to where all this fits.
Has there been a revision, is there one in the works?
Sorry for the questions however I seem to have more than answers, though this does look like a very promising product!
Please advise so that newbies like me to thread can ge the gist rather than ask the same questions over and over.

That's just my two cents.

Thanks Lorien for the product, look forward to hearing from you!

Regards,

Drew.

Thanks for posting that link.

I'll revise my post above then. It seems (based on content of the link) that the information I would think is usually saved as a global alsa config in /etc/asound.conf - is actually saved in - /etc/mpd.conf as an mpd specific configuration and therefore won't change way sound is handled for any program other than mpd.

In that case check the output of

aplay -l

Then modify /etc/mpd.conf to have card/subdevice set as detected by operating system.

If mpd doesn't give sound after that then research options for aplay or speaker-test and test at specific bitrate/samplerate to the soundcard. Also check alsamixer as I mentioned last time.

While sounds are playing you can check that alsa is not resampling the data before sending to your WaveIO by checking file below with 'cat' command (modify per the card/subdevice you're using) to see what data format is being sent to the WaveIO.

cat /proc/asound/cardX/...

It seems that is waiting for you to pick it up! I've sent you PM with tracking details. Regarding the WaveIO' delivery... there's a "gap" in EMS database of 14-16 days for all the parcels to Australia. No one knows where it is in this period of time. At first I thought it's a problem but lately I found this to be the "not so speedy" side of EMS service. Anyway it's better than nothing!

Cheers,
L

Edit: @nullstring: you have PM, Thank you!

you can use the same EMS tracking number on the australia post website once it arrives here, there is still a 'gap' but not as much as when you use the usps website, which often only updates AFTER its delivered. it seems odd that they did not leave any note or anything for Chris though hmmm

you can use the same EMS tracking number on the australia post website once it arrives here, there is still a 'gap' but not as much as when you use the usps website, which often only updates AFTER its delivered. it seems odd that they did not leave any note or anything for Chris though hmmm

Yeah Lorien pointed that you can use the EMS tracking number on auspost website in a PM. Isn't that fancy ay!

I was at work when I asked the question, the tracking website says they attempted to deliver around lunchtime today.

I have checked my my letter box and all around the front door and there is no note here saying for me to come and collect though. I will front up at post office in the morning and see if I can talk them into giving it to me before whatever mail stealing youth from around here tries to rock up and collect my parcel.

MPD issues solved - thank you all

Is mpd the first program you've tried to use for output with the waveio under linux?

Another to check is alsamixer to check that alsa has not muted the output that you are using (this happens far more often than you would logically expect)

Everyone's posts helped. hochopeper had the secret sauce. alsomixer had my WaveIO card muted.

MPD was the first I tried. Before I could figure out how to make it work I tried Banshee. Its good. SQ not as good as MPD. Audasious not good.

I have just started with MPD. Like CMP it improves if you disable unused hdw in Bios and appears to have lots of easy control over the system. I am playing with client and server on one dual core laptop. Its very good.

I am using this as a learning platform. Target config is Voyage/mpd server on ALIX board with linear power supply - Data server will be ethernet wired NAS (WD Livebook) and ultimately the control client will be on some kind of wireless tablet. I have the ALIX, router with wifi and NAS. Music is loaded on the NAS and a CF is on its way from Voyage Store in HK. When I finally get this working I think the sound will be very nice. Unix anything but intuitive, but after 2 frustrating weeks of reading and loading LiveCD after LiveCD I can see that once you get over the learning curve it is likely very easy to control and get very good results.

Useful guides:
Cheap silent USB Linux music server
How to set up MPD on Ubuntu 11.04 | Computer Audiophile
and best of all
http://sites.google.com/site/computeraudioorg/linux-for-audio
For example, one simple tuning mod I just tried.. I set MPD to run dedicated on one cpu core and gmpc on another. OMG nice kick up the scale. On the weekend on to real time kernal and killing off everything not needed.
WaveIO continues to impress. It just takes every improvement you throw at it and turns it into instant improvement.

Again, thanks to all for helpful suggestions.

Glad it is working for you now!

*nix and variants are to me very much still something you will only get maximum benefit from being comfortable to edit .conf files and finding them and the relevant docs is often the challenge.

I am probably going to run my WaveIO eventually from one of these - BeagleBoard.org - bone - I am in process of setting it up to do SPI and I2C for controlling DAC config registers as well as run the local display - I wasn't going to run the WaveIO from its usb out initially (though it was a long term plan) perhaps now I'll try sooner rather than later.

I mention the beagle bone mainly because its a lot cheaper than the Alix boards and running a more modern processor from memory (haven't looked at the Alix lineup in a few years)

In other news, my WaveIO is now in my possession, now time for me to complete DAC and line stage that I have neglected lately.

EDIT: Just did a google search on Voyage, didn't know that existed. I see where you're going now ... still advise looking into the beaglebone and similar devices if you aren't too far down that path yet. It shouldn't be too hard to roll the default OS for the beagle bone into a similar config to what they have there.

Last edited:
Re:BeagleBoard

hochopeper
thxs for this reference. This is a very interesting route for pairing with WaveIO. I was interested in teh ARM processor route. Noticed a community that simply buys cast off ARM based devices for pennies and puts slim distro + MPD. an example is the first gen WD NAS that can be pickedup for $50 and used as teh MPD server. I am down the ALIX path, and this will be more than enough learning for this round. I will have a jungle of little boxes. I put the WaveIO inside the DAC to eliminate I2S cable length, but am out of space for the ALIX so I'll have DAC, ALIX, router and NAS all in front. Beagle board could be a great platform to shrink processor, NAS, WaveIO and DAC into one HD music server. There would be room for lots of shunt regs in the various power supplies.