XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

Audio Note 2.1

@carlmawer

You would need to use the SPDIF off this board for a 2.1 unless you convert native I2S to what the AD1865 Dac Chip in your Audio Note needs to see.

The Hagtech is, by todays standards, a pretty crude device and will be exceeded by a huge margin by many options.

I have a 2.1 myself and ditched the HagTech some time ago. PM me if you want more info we are heading way off topic here.......

Clock consideration...

Hi Lorien,

If you are still doing a board rev, you might want to consider Crystek:

CCHD-957 series oscillator modules. Expensive, yes, but lower phase noise than anything I am aware of (short of ovenized $300 parts).
This new series comes in 22.5792 and 24.576. They need a little more board space, but power consumption and voltage (3.3 and ~25 mA) seem in line with many other modules.

Hello guys,
sorry for this long silence and late reply! I was on a few days trip across Europe... but without any internet connection at my disposal :|
Thank you barrows for informations! I know about CCHD-957 oscillators but for now they are a bit overpriced to me and I want to keep the costs down for this second revision. Besides that, I must keep an eye on the total power consumption via USB bus since I'm at the higher limit of USB specs. I'm more and more convinced that I should leave the USB PSU option aside...

Kind regards,
L

Hi

Hello guys,
sorry for this long silence and late reply! I was on a few days trip across Europe... but without any internet connection at my disposal :|
Thank you barrows for informations! I know about CCHD-957 oscillators but for now they are a bit overpriced to me and I want to keep the costs down for this second revision. Besides that, I must keep an eye on the total power consumption via USB bus since I'm at the higher limit of USB specs. I'm more and more convinced that I should leave the USB PSU option aside...

Kind regards,
L

Lorien,

I would encourage you to ditch USB bus power alltogether. My experience with both both USB-SPDIF and USB-I2S interfaces has always shown a marked improvement with a decent external supply. I feel anyone who is going to use your board would want the best possible performance, and supplying the necessary clean DC is not a big deal. Right now I am experimenting with a USB-I2S board I got from a friend, and with a filtered/regulated 5 VDC LiFePO4 battery supply it sounds really good, but there is minimal onboard regulation on this board-I am sure your would be much better, and I am looking forward to your next revision.
Please let us know when the next version is ready, as I will probably be ready to purchase at that time.

Lorien,

I would encourage you to ditch USB bus power alltogether. My experience with both both USB-SPDIF and USB-I2S interfaces has always shown a marked improvement with a decent external supply. I feel anyone who is going to use your board would want the best possible performance, and supplying the necessary clean DC is not a big deal.

I would also prefer external supply to usb power. While not having played with a usb source for audio (yet) I'd much rather keep the power to any digital circuits as clean as possible.

Hello guys,
there is some progress related to the second board still, one unfortunate incident bound me to the bed for a while thus I'll need some time until I'll be fully recovered. Given this and the growing demand for this WaveIO card, I've ordered few more from the old batch of boards while I'll continue to work on this new revision.
Best wishes to all,
L

@zoka959: You made me curious so I'll make some test with Cplay and WaveIO next week. There are any specific settings you prefer to try?

@pcourtney: Regarding USB bus powering option, it will be available on next revision for "just in case" situations though, I doubt it will be any good using it. :shy: Moreover, I enounter a case when WaveIO wasn't able to work properly because the USB port (from a specific laptop) didn't source enough current (0.5A) and taking into account the fact the new revision will have 4 or more chips assembled on the card... :)

Regards,
L

zoka959: It's working flawlessly, absolutely stable and no error messages.
While I'm at it - there has been a comparison with a competing product - KingRex UC192. Long story short, the difference was night and day. Three audiophiles other then me were present and they didn't have a clue which one actually should be better. They picked WaveIO as the better one just in few seconds.

Duwenbleidd ,
thanks for valuable feedback.
Lorien,
thank you for support but as you see Duwenbleidd have positively run CPLAY over
WAVE IO.
My intention is to pull out cs8420 out of my BEHEINGER DCX2496
(upgraded with ak4396 , JENSEN passive ouput and POORSERBIANMAN LIGHTSPEED
ATTENUATOR) and try to make direct I2S input over Wave IO.
Any comments about it will be highly apriciated.
Zoran

Second Zoka's questions. Very interested in interfacing I2S to DCX2496. I think the simple question of yes/no comes down to whether the XMOS resamples, such that I can input 16/44.1 by USB and output 24/96 by I2S. If this is not possible, then we are constrained to use SPDIF output and allow the CS8420 to provide upsampling.

Either way, it looks like this would be a great product to squeeze inside the DCX. Now to work out that external 5V supply. Maybe I could use the existing 5V logic supply...

I need to do...

.. few clarifications here. Since WaveIO card wants to be a bit-perfect USB to I2S bridge, it does not support sampling rate conversions (or other kind of processing techniques) so is something like WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) at I2S outputs in limit of 24/192 (for now...)
Besides that, from what I know so far, the I2S bus from Behringer is driven by the DSP (I hope I'm right) acting as a Master. Moreover, the CS8420 is wired to "boot" with I2S port in slave-mode (SDOUT pin wired to GND). Well, WaveIO does not support slave mode thus it is only acts as a Master one (it generates the Bit-clock and Word-clock signals internaly). Though, it can be used as a USB-to-I2S bridge when is wired to the I2S input of CS8420 chip, if possible. I would not use the SPDIF path... I hate SPDIF :wchair:
Kind regards,
L