Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface
XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2019, 11:14 AM   #3201
Extreme_Boky is offline Extreme_Boky
diyAudio Member

Shorter return path would do better
Old 14th January 2019, 11:15 AM   #3202
deduikertjes is offline deduikertjes  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky View Post
Shorter return path would do better
But that gives ground loops as an added bonus. Or am I misunderstanding something?
Old 15th January 2019, 08:27 AM   #3203
Lorien is offline Lorien
diyAudio Member

The idea is to keep the short return paths since the digital I2S signals are 'fast' ones and I remember clearly that return path for these kind of signals is closest to their related "hot" wire. If you'll force them to take a bigger route just to avoid ground loops then it is possible to degrade their integrity (increase overshoots and ringing).
If you really want to keep a short path while avoid ground loops then I do recommend you to try out some stitching caps. of 100nF or so placed in series with the short ground path. Look here at page 10 and you will see what I mean.
Cheers,
L
Old 15th January 2019, 01:59 PM   #3204
Ryelands is offline Ryelands  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi112358 View Post
Is it better to use a separate PSU if the DAC already has its own dedicated PSU?
Ever since I bought my first WaveIO in 2011, I have connected them to the DAC via the WaveIO's isolator chip using the DAC's +5v line. This called for a lead about 120mm long between the DAC and the isolator chip.

I don't know why recent attempts to connect the two directly via u.fl connectors failed but suspect an earthing issue given that the two devices have separate Uptone Audio LPS-1s set to 7v with LT3045 Vregs mounted as close as possible to the load. (The Meanwell SMPSs that drive the LPS-1s are connected to the mains via isolating transformers.)

On a whim, I recently tried fitting a 5v LDOvr LT3045-based Vreg directly to the isolator chip via short (10-15mm) leads and connecting the Vreg to the DAC's "raw" PS via carefully screened leads. In short, I now have one 5v Vreg for the DAC and another for the isolator chip.

The result was a very marked improvement in sound quality, more "transparent", better bass, all the usual stuff. In short, I don't think the isolator chip needs its own PS but it does greatly benefit from its own Vreg. A significant upgrade for an insignificant cost. Lorien is right.

Again, dammit.

HTH

D
Old 17th January 2019, 12:46 PM   #3205
chermann is offline chermann  Austria
diyAudio Member

Hi

After a long search for an "better" DAC i landed at Gustard A20H. I use this DAC over usb. Triggered from an other threat i try the first time a purifier (ifi nano iUSB 3.0)..first sound checks are promising...will see.

now my question:
can i expect a better SQ over an USB to I2S converter into my DAC ??
If yes which board or complete interface can you prvide me?

thanks you in advance
chris
Old 21st January 2019, 08:34 PM   #3206
diyAudio Member

Hi again

Sorry my ignorance to think that i get an easy answer. i start to read the first 60 pages ....my head is burning....

.. after read, learn and decide i will try an usb to I2S board to connect it...but this takes time

chris
Old 22nd January 2019, 09:17 PM   #3207
weissi is offline weissi  Austria
diyAudio Member

Chermann, in your case, owning a DAC with presumably well designed Xmos implementation and outfitted with possibly very good clocks, there is not much to be gained.
Old 23rd January 2019, 07:56 AM   #3208
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weissi View Post
Chermann, in your case, owning a DAC with presumably well designed Xmos implementation and outfitted with possibly very good clocks, there is not much to be gained.
Hi Weissi

i am very sorry for my nooby statements but i start since 1 year with diy....and with my mod of UD301 very nooby

as i read mor here in the digital line level i get more and more hungry for some future modifications (teac UD301)

Thank you for your positiv statement to my DAC which i got in 01/2017. after a journey of aune 16, Brooklyn, RME + Mutec 3...etc

chris

Last edited by chermann; 23rd January 2019 at 08:06 AM.
Old 1st April 2019, 04:29 PM   #3209
AlexanderTD is offline AlexanderTD  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

Hello there,
Tried to update firmware to DSD and got error message...
Update: Ah, i didn't find the right post in time - found everything needed in driver archive...

Last edited by AlexanderTD; 1st April 2019 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Update
Old 1st April 2019, 06:05 PM   #3210
AlexanderTD is offline AlexanderTD  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

Can't get DSD playing with WaveIO V6.C7 firmware + 4.14 driver. Foobar is playing but no sound from my Buffalo DAC (SACD, DSD proxy, foo_dsd and all that installed). Tried Jriver but when set to bitstream output DSD a lound "white" noise is played.
If anyone used some sort of guide of how to setup players which worked and can share a link i'd be thankfull!

XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interfaceHide this!Advertise here!