XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

Hello Massimo! If you're strictly referring to switch the "old" NDKs on WaveIO with the SDA counterparts then I'm still thinking about how to properly "solve" it!
I know the replacement job is not an easy one, especially for those tiny SMD parts! Before deciding what I have to do, I need to gather some infos first!

Here are some questions to be answered:
1. I'm sure that on paper the new oscillators are better than actual ones (NZ2520SD) but let's say that I'll change the oscillator on your board AND - by various reasons - you don't like it! What happened then? :)

The simplest path for me is for a drop in replacement: old oscillators will be switched with new ones. But this means there's no going back unless you'll send your board here and I'll make the replacements... again

Another option is to design a small PCB to hold on the NDKs. And (here I'm still thinking!) to solder some pins on WaveIO right where the pads of the 7x5 mm package oscillator was designed to be. Still, there are no holes there to strongly retain those pins in place thus I'm afraid when you'll remove that add-on PCB you'll damage the WaveIO too. And we do not want that....

2. Despite my huge efforts in assuring safety of your boards during transport, it happened 2 or 3 times in my professional life that some of the WaveIO shipped here for repairs / changes were simply lost. This was mostly due to poor choice of the postal service (without tracking number) on the owner's side or other reasons that are out of my control.
So, if you're going to send your WaveIO board here then you should take into account some sight risks of loosing it along the way.

3. There's always the option to replace the new oscillators at your side! Still, there is quite a hassle to do it and you'll definitely need a steady hand and some background soldering experience. As for me, the replacements are done in the usual way, followed by board test procedures and clean ups. This way it might be possible to have a cleaner board than the one you'll send it! :eek:

I just came with an idea of designing a PCB with castellated holes. I'll see how I'll facilitate the replacement! So, when I'll have your board I'll remove the old NDKs, and solder them on these new add-on PCBs. I'll do the same with the new NDKs, except the fact that new oscillators will be soldered on your WaveIO (NDK => add-on board => WaveIO)! When done, you'll have your WaveIO with the new NDKs mounted on it through those two adapters AND the old NDKs also mounted on adapter boards but leaved aside. I don't know if I was explicit enough ...

Anyway, the replacement on your side should be easy....

Massimo and others interested: is this a good idea?

Kind regards,
L

Last edited:
Hi Lucian,

you last paragraph sound good for me. I (personally) would like to go so for that and I'm willing to pay the secured / tracked shipment.

Other question, did you use the "old" NDKs also on the BluWave (can't see it myself because I'm on a business trip)?

P.S.: Your last driver did not change anything at my setup. :)

Hello Carsten!
I'm naming the actual NDK oscillators as "old" like I have the new ones in my hands :p
No I don't... at least for the moment!

And yes, for now all the boards I make are shipped with NZ2520SD oscillators on them, including BluWave. Frankly, I don't know what's the marking difference between the actual and future SDA clocks but I do now for sure that are quite tiny and in that small place you cannot expect to see the whole part number...
As for driver: it's a good or a bad thing? :)

Hi Lucian,

I'll be quite happy to send the WaveI/O board to you to replace the crystals. I will accept the full responsibility if the board gets lost for whatever reason, or damaged beyond repair.

Are you happy to replace the SD’s with the SDA’s for me? But please no add-on boards…

If yes, I will put my name on the GB list so that you can have an idea about what crystals’ number will be required. I can pay for the crystals straight away and then follow-up with a PM in due time to arrange the cost for crystals’ replacement and the (return) shipping to Australia.

Nick

Hello Massimo! If you're strictly referring to switch the "old" NDKs on WaveIO with the SDA counterparts

Yes :)

The simplest path for me is for a drop in replacement: old oscillators will be switched with new ones.

I think this is the best way, but I understand it could be burdensome for you.

So, if you're going to send your WaveIO board here then you should take into account some sight risks of loosing it along the way.

Registered shipping is mandatory, both sides.

3. There's always the option to replace the new oscillators at your side!

Hmmm, it could be done with the proper tools, but it needs skill and experience and it's not easy at all.

I just came with an idea of designing a PCB with castellated holes.

It seems a good idea, though quite time consuming for you and costlier. Final board height should be defined in advance if it exceeds the actual size.

Well, I could be interested for sure, but I think we should have some hint about the improvement in terms of sound quality to support the whole operation.

Ciao Lucian and thank for your comprehensive reply.

@ Carsten, Nick, and Massimo: first of all please put your names on that GB list to be sure that your NDKs are reserved. As for the prices, we can discuss this later, depending on your options (if there are any). But please do NOT make any payments yet!
@ Nick: do not rush in rejecting that add-on board because I might have the idea to add some filtering / decoupling parts on it - depending on the space I have left!
Either way, please keep in mind that I'll also replace your old NDKs with the new ones (without taking the add-on PCB into account) so all options are valid so far!
Kind regards,
L

Hi Lorien, I saw that you provided a new firmware some time ago, so my question would be is this xmos board being able to deliver the japan Sony/EIAJ format instead of Philips/I2S if someone would wish to fed such DAC that doesn't accept I2S? glue logic to transform I2S to EIAJ is out of question, I was thinking xmos is powerful enough to handle this in the firmware, thanks

I installed one of these at the J13 connector (+5V DC in connector), with a MAJOR sound improvement:

LT3045-78XX Ultra Low Noise LDO Voltage Regulator

The sound improvement was substantial and obvious - very nice, spacious sound with a good harmonic richness that can be quite faithful to how the instruments do sound in real life. The bass gained completely new dimension. I could finally hear the bass guitars and drums the way they are supposed to sound.

I also have nothing but great praises for Alexey who makes and supplied these voltage regulators (he does many variants....). The quality is superb, the cost very reasonable, shipping very fast and he is very easy to communicate with. He is also willing to make the non-standard V-out versions, and as per my custom request for the 5.2V-out version, he is now providing them on his website to choose from a drop-down list.

I strongly suggest to everyone who uses the WaveI/O board to try one of these ultra-low noise regulators and enjoy the sound benefit, which is truly unbelievable.

Nick

The maximum current draw I was able to measure was 380mA. This was with a 192kHz signal. The LT3045 has no issues whatsoever to drive this current. Mine is set for 5.21V DC out, The input voltage can be as high as 7V. It only requires around 5.6V at its input to provide correct regulation.

The whole regulator is so well made that the chip itself gets mildly warm even without the heatsink.

The sound improvement is simply unbelievable.

I have just confirmed that even with 384kHz sampling rate signals, the current is around 390mA, so the difference between 192 and 384 current consumption is negligible. This is all measured with an LED array connected.

I have LED array disconnected because the WaveI/O sounds better without this array.

The current "saving" with LED array disconnected is 30-40mA, not that it matters because the LT3045 will handle LED's connected no trouble at all.