XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

Hi guys, late to the party as usual!! :eek:

I've got my board from Lucian which arrived before xmas.

I've installed the drivers and my win7 pc can see the board.

To test the unit, I've tried to hook up to my workshop Cambridge dacmagic via SPDIF.

I can see the spdif waveform on the scope on the output of the waveio, but the dac is not detecting signal and I'm pretty sure you can't tell on the scope if there is any audio in the multiplex. I wondered what the output sample rate is? In software/driver on the PC the output is set to 24/96.

Only looking to test like this and understand how SPDIF is configured.

Apologies for the newbie questions, but this is the first time I've done anything other than plug n play a usb dac (where a PC audio is concerned).

Hi UV101. Late you might be... but compared to what? :rolleyes: This board was designed in 2011 and available from back then so I can safely consider that therm of "late" might have a 'relative' meaning. :)
As for your trouble, it might be possible that your DAC cannot "see" the SPDIF signal because it's too "weak". It happen before and I had to make some hardware adjustments for those particular WaveIO boards to be "heard".
Other than that it would be nice to know what SW player you're using so I can try to copy your settings from here and search for any solutions to your problem.

Just note that ALL output ports from WaveIO (I2S and SPDIF) are wired in parallel - from the software point of view! So, if one of them is sourcing a valid signal then the rest should do the same. If not then we can safely assume there's a hardware issue around there. Based on above statement, it would be helpful if you can find a way to wire a test DAC to any of the I2S ports - just to be 100% sure that all is fine with your PC + SW player + System volume settings + USB comsm and so on...

Kind regards,
L

Last edited:
Hi Lorien, just connected the Luckit USB board with external PSU to my DDDAC and it works! But only with an iphone with usb connector. When I plug the usb cable in my Macbook the sound is very distorted. How is that possible? I don't have problems with other devices on my Macbook, like my Dragonfly dac and I don't see any settings I can change. Any suggestions?

Kind regards,
Bart

Hi Bart,
possible reasons that are coming to my mind (beside the software ones):
1. If your WaveIO is powered form USB port of your MacBook then please use external PSU. I know you said that you already have one but I thought I should reiterate it.
2. USB cable length is? I do recommend something up to 1,5 meters but this value depends on the quality of the USB cable used.
3. If you use an USB custom cable then please replace it with an ordinary one - only for tests!
4. Ground loops or heavy noise sources? I know it's an Apple product and not a chinese garbage but you should check your PSU for your MacBook. OR, try to use it powered from batteries and see what's happen or if there's any difference!

From what I'm aware (again, besides software issues) this kind of distortion usually is coming from poor PSU used for WaveIO or currents that are not meeting the requirements of this card when used in full throttle.
P.S. I know its against my advice BUT can you switch the PSU on WaveIO to "BRD" and try again with your MB Pro? I'm curious about the results!
Kind regards,
L

Hi Lorien,

1. I use an HQ external PSU (https://www.audio-creativeshop.nl/w...ower-supply-12volt-1a-fully-assembled-tested/). I tested it and is sounds quite good. Tried to give it a bit more then 5V (5.15V), but to no effect.
2/3. Tried a gold plated shorter one, but no change
4. The battery on my 2009 MB is old, but I use it on a wall adapter mostly. I tried it without the adapter and also on an USB hub, but no change.

When the PSU setting is set to "USB" also no change.

Each time I switch on the Dac the sound can be different from very distorted to no sound at all. As I mentioned the Luckit does work perfectly fine on my iphone 5 or Ipad with the same USB cable and an USB connection kit (Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter - Apple).

I use OSX 10.11.6

Each time I switch on the Dac the sound can be different from very distorted to no sound at all. As I mentioned the Luckit does work perfectly fine on my iphone 5 or Ipad with the same USB cable and an USB connection kit
So, all seems to be fine with no adapter connection! As long as the host (in your case iPhone) is not connected to any wall adapter your WaveIO seems working fine.
Well, the first thing that comes to my mind it's related to hardware: GND connections, chassis ground points and so on.
Question: have you changed the I2S ribbon cable that comes with your DDDAC kit with something else? I ask this because one can cut/adapt it to personal needs.
Can you share some pictures of your audio setup?

Hi Bart,
first of all: The H4 mounting hole of WaveIO, the one closest to the power connector, is directly connected to ALL the internal ground layers of this card. So, if you are using an earth connection then make sure that you'll place a plastic spacer there instead of a metallic one. Secondly, to my eyes, the I2S are not made in the best approach. You have to use a ribbon cable there because, with this one, each I2S signal will be "shielded" by a GND wire. Despite the fact that you could make ground loops, I do strongly suggest you to use a flat ribbon cable, as Doede provided with his DAC kit.
In the third place, the output side of the isolator (U4) was "poorly" decoupled by default (used only one 100nF cap). The main reason was because I didn't want to put there "my own" caps which, to some extent, could influence the result. BUT, leaving that single cap there will do almost nothing good as long as the power source is not close enough to the isolator and the power wires will form a wide loop. I recommend to use twisted thick wires from the PSU to the chip itself.
If you still planning to leave those cables there for I2S bus then please add more GND wires between WaveIO and your DAC soldered between the "Isol.GND" pins and the same GND point of your DAC.

Joined 2015
Paid Member
DSD status

Hi Lorien,

I’m currently working on a DAC project which will include a Waveio. According to your website Waveio can provide native DSD signals (mapped on I2S ones). In this specific configuration, does Waveio provide the information weither it operate in PCM or DSD (my AKM DAC should be reconfigured when changing mode PCM<->DSD) ?, it may be convenient if DSD notification is mapped on J9.

Thanks

hey lucian,
i have a very wierd problem. I used your waveio with a external psu (ref-d) already and it worked wonderfully (spdif input). Now i changed to a different Dac so I am using isolated I2S. The problem is, when i now set to jumper to external psu the waveio is not recongized any more :-( I checked the voltage on the input and its 5.1V (&green led on) The Isolator is powered with 3.3V.

So to summarize waveio with usb power (and I2S input) works fine. As soon as i switch to external psu windows is not recognizing the device any more. I am ruling out the usb cable as an error source because it works when i use it to power the waveio...

the grounded mounting hole is not used...

Any idea what could have gone wrong?:dunno:

@ xcj999: I'm guessing you're moving the jumper on J8 as well! If you're using on-board USB socket then please leave J8 to "BRD" position and forget about it!
Power switch is done by using ONLY the jumper on J12 pin header. On the botom of your board - right under the J12 jumper - you should see the "PSU Select" white silkscreen text. Here "EXT" means that your WaveIO is powered form external PSU while "BRD" means that USB 5V Bu is used to power it.
To use external PSU move J12 jumper on "EXT" position. That's all! Do NOT mix up J12 and J8 since each one has a different meaning!
Please let me know how it works!

As for Bartt and AIM65: I'll get back to you later since I need to write a bigger answer and time is rather pressing me right now. I'm sorry for that!
@ Bartt: if you're in a hurry then you may ask on DDDAC thread about this info as I'm assuming they can answer you as well.

Kind regards,
L

@ xcj999: I'm guessing you're moving the jumper on J8 as well! If you're using on-board USB socket then please leave J8 to "BRD" position and forget about it!
Power switch is done by using ONLY the jumper on J12 pin header. On the botom of your board - right under the J12 jumper - you should see the "PSU Select" white silkscreen text. Here "EXT" means that your WaveIO is powered form external PSU while "BRD" means that USB 5V Bu is used to power it.
To use external PSU move J12 jumper on "EXT" position. That's all! Do NOT mix up J12 and J8 since each one has a different meaning!
Please let me know how it works!
oh man, what a stupid mistake :eek: you are right, all is well now. thanks a lot! :)

@ xcj999: No problem, I'm glad you solve the issue!

On a side note, I want to say that I have one WaveIO board here at half the price + PP and shipping. It was my fault that I have mixed a new one with this card - which had to be repaired (isolator changed).
Now this WaveIO is a fully working one and looks as it should be except few scratches on top-right on the silkscreen mask made due to U.FL. removal of the MCLK signal. Obviously, due to the owner's requirements I also kept the U.FL. connector removed but I can solder a new one on request. I do consider that scratch is not a big deal for many but I definitely cannot sell this board as new hence this post.
If there's anyone interested please contact me through PM or directly here.

Kind regards,
L

Attachments

• Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    774.8 KB · Views: 581