XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

I don't have experience with BBB and its clock related stuff on it but WaveIO can source master clock to it (BBB) and can accept clocks from external source(s). It happens that recently I have changed a WaveIO to accept external clock signals. Anyway, those clocks should have the 24.576 MHz and 22.5792 MHz values. As you can see, 48 MHz is not a good one in this case! Perhaps someone with better experience with BBB can help you on this matter!

I was actually thinking the other way around; that BBB received the clock signal from WaveIO, so that WaveIO was the Master clock. I have no clue if this is possible myself, but I think a solution like Hermes/Cronus is doing something similar, feeding BBB with the right clock frequency, and thus providing a better SQ due to less jitter. But I don't know how to connect these things together, and if it is not a common thing to do, I better not do it either! :)

Hi Lorien, long time since I've been here. My WaveIO has been working beautifully for quite a few years now - using the isol. SPDIF output to a W4S DAC-2, but I'd like to add an HDMI socket to the WaveIO chassis so that I can connect the DAC-2 using I2S with a (short) 1ft HDMI cable. The DAC-2 has I2S input by an HDMI socket. The owner's manual for the DAC-2 says "Within the connection, there are balanced versions of the I2S interface ...... At the time this manual was written, the only component capable of outputting the balanced I2S signal is the PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport."

Could you please tell me which pins on the WaveIO card go to which pins of an HDMI socket, so that the DAC-2 thinks it is connected to a "Perfect Wave Transport"?

Hi there Ian

You'll need an I2S to HDMI converter card to be able to link a WaveIO to the
HDMI port on your DAC. I used the card linked below successfully with the WaveIO.
The card needs to be powered by 5v.

HDMI to I2S Module - Audiophonics

However, if you can locate any I2S input points inside your DAC to directly link
the WaveIO to, this will sound much better. I did this by removing the USB
card in my DAC and utilizing it's I2S lines. Mine is a different brand of DAC,
but the W4S looks to me like the USB card may also be removable, and you
might be able to do the same thing.

Cheers

Simon

Hello Ian,
a bit late, as usual! :eek: I subscribe to what Simonb321 said but if you still need support then please contact me directly on luckit.biz web site - it's easier for me to respond!

On the other hand I want to say that, related to the small GB for BluWave, I got no replies from Chii in the past couple of days (basically, I cannot see any activity past his last post on this thread @ 12th May 2016) so I'm assuming that he changed his mind or I simply cannot reach him. Given this, I consider the last two BluWave cards to be available for anyone wishing to test and play with such a board!

Kind regards,
L

I was actually thinking the other way around; that BBB received the clock signal from WaveIO, so that WaveIO was the Master clock. I have no clue if this is possible myself, but I think a solution like Hermes/Cronus is doing something similar, feeding BBB with the right clock frequency, and thus providing a better SQ due to less jitter. But I don't know how to connect these things together, and if it is not a common thing to do, I better not do it either! :)

Sorry; after reading your answer over again I now see that you say that you actually can source the clock from waveio to BBB. I guess this is a bit over my head. If anyone has done this, and could tell me exactly how to do it, I might be able to do it, but then again ... :)

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi Lorien,

First I'll say that I have not read through the thread so maybe this has already been asked: But can I ask you if you will be offering a 768 kHz version (24/32 bits) similar in concept (possibly a different execution ...) to this one - and maybe with the option of connecting one's own oscillators?

Isolated XMOS 768kHz DXD DSD512(DSD1024) high-quality USB to I2S/DSD PCB - DIYINHK

Cheers & thanks for maybe considering ;-)

Jesper

Hello Jesper,
I really like to share all of my future plans but because of my transparency I was beaten two times in a row: first time with my Note board and second with current board: WaveIO. For your information, now I'm trying to fix what this guy called diyinhk has made this year: he hacked Thesycon drivers and use them without a proper license / certificate. Looking in the past, I saw this is a common habit among chinese/HK/SK/TW "manufacturers"... just search "luckit drivers" over internet and you'll see what I mean!
Anyway, my struggle now is to fix this problem in such a way that all WaveIO users / buyers should take benefit of further Win driver updates without paying for that copy - like it happens in case of this copycat.
As for implementations, - if any will show up - obviously I'll ditch the SMPS supplies on my boards - like I always did - so, there will be no resemble with the linked PCB (excepting the fact that we will use chips from XMOS... - not necessary the same part number). No promise though!

Still, for my curiosity may I ask you why would you like to have such a board designed by me? :)

Last edited:
Just tested latest daphile version(daphile-16.07-x86_64-rt.iso) and I can confirm that native dsd is working out of the box :)

Hi ljufa (or to whom it may concern :) ), I'm using Daphile 16.10 i486 (note the 36bit version) and sample rate LEDs don't lit up nor I have native DSD to PCM conversion :( (DSD support native is grayed out in Daphile)

Do you have any tips&tricks out of the sleeve?

I tried to connect it to OpenSuse Leap 64bit and still no LED activity.

I installed latest beta FW available on WaveIO | Luckit site.

DSD is not so important as LEDs since I'm new proud DDDAC owner and I dont know/understand weather Daphile-WaveIO connection is async or not (as I understood there is an fallback option if async is unsupported?) :/

Note: On Windows everything is OK.

On board written rev: 1.0
FW rev: 3.33

Best regards, Ivan

Hi,

I am having some issues using the Waveio connected to an odroid C2 running Volumio 2.

There is pops and clicks and pops in music while connected to normal usb ports but the clicks are gone if connected trough the otg port of the odroid C2 board.

While reading some places I am sure the waveio "worked" fine for other users with Volumio and the odroid C2 board. (maybe older versions of volumio)

If anyone use this setup can you let me know if it works fine for you ?

Many Thanks,
Lobo

Hi,

I am having some issues using the Waveio connected to an odroid C2 running Volumio 2.

There is pops and clicks and pops in music while connected to normal usb ports but the clicks are gone if connected trough the otg port of the odroid C2 board.

While reading some places I am sure the waveio "worked" fine for other users with Volumio and the odroid C2 board. (maybe older versions of volumio)

If anyone use this setup can you let me know if it works fine for you ?

Many Thanks,
Lobo

Hi Lobo

I have had exactly the same problem with Runeaudio / Volumio / Moode on a RPI with the WaveIO, and it just disappeared when I switched to BeagleBoneBlack, with Volumio 1.55 (Moode not available and Rune audio still in 0.2 beta from january 2014 :)-(

I am sorry I am not bringing a solution but would definitely be interested to understand what happened, at driver level I suppose, but no one could give me a hint above.

BR
Jean-Louis