XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

it looks killer, but apparently it's not available for sale...is it?

PS: I've sent you a PM and an email, TYVM in advance
You have PM, thank you!

@ Bob: Unfortunately I do not have any experience with Volumite and I hope TP will help you solving this problem. I don't know for sure what happen with your Volumite but if there's something related to WaveIO please let me know to start finding a way to solve it.
Best wishes,
L

Jeremy

I am using the firmware that came with my Volumite. I did order a replacement chip in case my is bad. Thanks for the suggestion. I need to check every possibility.

Best

Bob

Hi Jeremy
Could you take the firmware chip from buffaloII and exchange with the one on Volumite and re-test !, of course volumite demands more power from Placid also. Orientation and model of firmware chip should be the same obviously .
I have reinstalled volumite , re-adjusted current and voltage on Placid and all played ok . beats me why your setup behaves the way it does .
hope that helps.

Last edited:
It's merely my guess because I have no Volumite at my hand.

At the timing of initial power-on reset of Volumite, in your configuration or use, is your WaveIO already supplying any effective MCLK signal to Buffalo II?

My guess is like this;
If the signal is not given, ES9018 DAC chip on Buffalo II would not be able to respond to the initial register setting actions given by MCU on Volumite.
The MCU would regard the ES9018 as not-ready and give up the setting anymore.

Is it possible to turn on power of the Volumite after your LOCK LED of BII is ON?

I'd be very happy if my guess would give you any hints.

At the timing of initial power-on reset of Volumite, in your configuration or use, is your WaveIO already supplying any effective MCLK signal to Buffalo II?

My guess is like this;
If the signal is not given, ES9018 DAC chip on Buffalo II would not be able to respond to the initial register setting actions given by MCU on Volumite.

Is it possible to turn on power of the Volumite after your LOCK LED of BII is ON?

Bunpei
Thank you for this idea. I will set my "DAC" so that the WAVE IO is powered before the BII
Bob

My guess is like this;

Bunpei

Very nice suggestion. I set my system up so that the Wave IO board was powered on before the Buffalo II. Volumite now controls the output volume.
Thank you

Lucian
Right now I always have power to Wave IO. Is this OK or should I put a switch in line with the power. I can then switch the Wave IO first and then the BII

Thanks

Bob

Bob, do whatever it takes for your system to work properly. If you need a power up sequence then you can power WaveIO first and then the rest of your boards othervise, you can leave WaveIO powered all the time. Still, my honest suggestion would be to find a solution to power up WaveIO first and later the rest. In the end, you will decide... though it's better to keep it close to a Hard Reset than keep running all the time. With all the respect for their work, I'm still not fully confident in Thesycon/XMOS sw bundle.
Kind regards,
L

Last edited:
Bob, do whatever it takes for your system to work properly. If you need a power up sequence then you can power WaveIO first and then the rest of your boards othervise, you can leave WaveIO powered all the time. Still, my honest suggestion would be to find a solution to power up WaveIO first and later the rest. In the end, you will decide... though it's better to keep it close to a Hard Reset than keep running all the time. With all the respect for their work, I'm still not fully confident in Thesycon/XMOS sw bundle.
Kind regards,
L

I will set it up to sequence. Thank you

scratch my last post, i seem to be repeating qusp 260's post

yes it was, in old versions of the firmware, you needed to have a dip in the dac AND in the volumite, if you used the dac version in the volumite the dac would work, but not the volume, which would be set on full. i know Bob has had the buff about as long as i have so thought i'd rule that out. new versions of the firmware do not need any DIP fitted in the dac socket if you are using the correct one in the volumite socket.

Waiting for the board arriving, I finished a little external psu...
Veeeeery cheap and little:
shaffner filter, trafo, a simple and cheap 7805 with a JLH Ripple Eater and nothing more...:)
dsc_0110.jpg

dsc_0111.jpg

Hello Andrea! WaveIO card is available to buy but I'm forced to fulfill your request starting from January where a new set of PCBs will be available for use.
Cheers,
L

Could you confirm what changes (if any) there are between the previous designs and these new PCBs? I remember some time back you were considering external power supply. What voltage range is suitable for running your board?